Sportski komentatori, novinari i mediji

Moramo jedan teaser baciti za sledeci petak sto je [mention=37]Mairosu[/mention] radio prije neki dan. Jedan bivsi igrac Partizana kojeg je malo ko volio [emoji1]

Ja vam toplo preporučujem da poslušate podcast sjutra, čisto malo percepcija da se promjeni kad je on u pitanju.
  • Thanks 1

@MrTwister

posto imas the athletic, daj neki zanimljiv pasaž iz ovog teksta, zbog @McLeod-a, ako ništa

AP_18078360727878-1024x683.jpg

A collection of untold, must-read Boban Marjanovic stories
Of course Boban Marjanovic became one of the stars of the NBA bubble. While the Mavericks finally fly home today, Marjanovic leaves his unforgotten presence behind on the Disney campus that was his home for nearly two months. It’s impossible to even document all his viral moments: The distanced reunion with best friend Tobias Harris on one of the first days; Harris’ mock disgust that Marjanovic now hangs out more often with Luka Doncic; Marcus Morris telling Marjanovic that he “might be the nicest guy I ever met”; and, of course, Marjanovic’s delightful cameo on TNT’s Inside the NBA that ended with a goofy smile and a heart formed with his two arms. “Thanks for choosing me and not Luka,” Marjanovic joked during that interview. And just like that, the league’s most beloved player earned himself even more lifelong fans.

I started talking to Marjanovic’s current and former teammates late last year, a project that resulted in nearly 30 interviews and this feature published in July. Mike Breen was kind enough to shout it out on the national television broadcast of Game 6, which drove some renewed attention to the story. In light of that, I’m publishing some more Marjanovic anecdotes from my reporting that simply didn’t make the cut the first time around. These quotes have been lightly edited and condensed.

Andrew Loomis, the Pistons chief of staff who frequently interacted with Boban from 2016 to 2018

On 9/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, uini said:

@MrTwister

posto imas the athletic, daj neki zanimljiv pasaž iz ovog teksta, zbog @McLeod-a, ako ništa

AP_18078360727878-1024x683.jpg

A collection of untold, must-read Boban Marjanovic stories
Of course Boban Marjanovic became one of the stars of the NBA bubble. While the Mavericks finally fly home today, Marjanovic leaves his unforgotten presence behind on the Disney campus that was his home for nearly two months. It’s impossible to even document all his viral moments: The distanced reunion with best friend Tobias Harris on one of the first days; Harris’ mock disgust that Marjanovic now hangs out more often with Luka Doncic; Marcus Morris telling Marjanovic that he “might be the nicest guy I ever met”; and, of course, Marjanovic’s delightful cameo on TNT’s Inside the NBA that ended with a goofy smile and a heart formed with his two arms. “Thanks for choosing me and not Luka,” Marjanovic joked during that interview. And just like that, the league’s most beloved player earned himself even more lifelong fans.

I started talking to Marjanovic’s current and former teammates late last year, a project that resulted in nearly 30 interviews and this feature published in July. Mike Breen was kind enough to shout it out on the national television broadcast of Game 6, which drove some renewed attention to the story. In light of that, I’m publishing some more Marjanovic anecdotes from my reporting that simply didn’t make the cut the first time around. These quotes have been lightly edited and condensed.

Andrew Loomis, the Pistons chief of staff who frequently interacted with Boban from 2016 to 2018

Andrew Loomis COS Detroita 1 dio

Spoiler

One of my favorite Boban stories ever, I was with (Pistons associate general manager) Pat Garrity, and it was over the summer … We had just gotten Boban, he was trying to get settled, it might have been a Friday afternoon or something, so kinda quiet … I was sitting in the office with Pat, saying, “Hey, I’m going to roll out with Boban this afternoon, we’re going to talk about houses and cars, and he needed to get his car situation taken care of.” Pat didn’t have much to do, so Pat was like, “I’ll come along for the ride. We’ll spend some time with him.” We go down to the Land Rover (dealership), and Boban loves cars. He knows a lot about them. The first time I’d ever gotten in a Range Rover was when I got into the one to test drive with him, and I sat in the backseat, and he peeled out of the dealership and it reminded me of that commercial with Jeff Gordon, where the person doesn’t realize it’s Jeff Gordon driving the car and they’re just hanging on for dear life. And the guy who worked for Land Rover was sitting in the front seat with him, and Pat and I were in the back kinda holding on for dear life, and we’re just kinda like, “You’ve got to slow it down!” But he loves cranking that thing. 

@Mairosu

Spoiler

So we’re in (Los Angeles), and we’re running on a tight schedule. We’re supposed to shoot a couple of interviews, documentaries, whatever. We (had) limited time in LA, something like four days. We’re trying to get a hold of everybody, those guys, that guy, we’re literally racing from east to west of LA from Santa Monica to Eagle Rock … And we’re supposed to meet up with Boban. I (had) never met the man. We have a mutual connection, and he’s aware that we’re coming, and everything like that. So Boban has just been traded to the Clippers. I think he’s been on the team for, like, 10 days or less. So Boban’s like, “Guys, where you at?” We’re like, “We’re somewhere.” And so he’s like, “Cool. Tell you what, let’s come to my place, let’s do the interview right here. And, you know, that will be it. Can you wait half an hour?” We’re like, “Sure, let’s wait half an hour.”

The place turns out to be The Ritz in Marina Del Rey, where NBA players are staying, so he’s like, “We sit there, we do the interview, we do everything,” and Boban’s like, “Guys, I’m really sorry, I have to go house hunting, I’m new to LA. But, should you need anything, you can stay in this apartment, take a nap, this room is on me. Do whatever you want!” So basically, he was that open and courteous. And I think normally, Serbians people will say things like that, but I sniffed out that he actually meant it. 

Ish Smith

Spoiler

You know, (I’ll) take you off the court … I met (my fiancée) in Detroit and the first time I brought her to the game, Boban was like, “Ooh, you’ve got to invite me to the wedding. You guys are going to get married.” And I was like, “Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow your roll.” And he saw something. Three years later, (we’re engaged).

My family loves him. Like I said, my fiancée, she loves him. Anytime you’re around him, it’s not just on the court but off the court. I would get mad at him, I would yell, “Would you go score! Go score! Stop messin’ around with the game.” He’d be out there. and he’d be such a good teammate. He’d be like, “Let me set screens.” I’m like, “Boban, no.” He would have somebody deep in the post and throw the ball (back out). And then off the court, we just had a good time.

Frank Kaminsky na BWB u Srbiji

Spoiler

There’s obviously culture and tradition in Serbia. We’re out to dinner, and obviously there’s dances and things that people do. He was the ringleader of all the dances on that trip. He knows he’s the biggest person in the room, and he knows that he’s visible, so why not be the best, biggest personality? That’s kinda something I’ve done with myself, but he takes it to a whole ‘nother level. When you realize you’re as tall as us, you stick out. Eyes are always going to be on you. So why not just be an example of what it’s like to have a good time and be nice to people. He was so nice, and even with everything else, he was so nice to my family. We didn’t speak the language and every single time he made an effort to talk to my dad —  I had my dad, my sisters on the trip with me, very nice person, talk to him, make everybody feel welcome. And at those dinner parties, he was kinda a big personality that took over.

Matt Bonner

Spoiler

I remember his first year, I don’t know if he was trying to fit in in America, but he would always wear this huge Mickey Mouse T-shirt. It was, like, super random. Who wears a giant Mickey Mouse T-shirt anymore?

I remember we were at Chipotle once with our strength coach once, and we sat down and there was this group, this family — you know how Chipotle is, the tables are kinda close together? So this family was just sitting down next to us just staring in awe. To the point where it was almost getting uncomfortable. I remember our strength coach goes, “Don’t worry, he doesn’t bite.” And they looked at him, and he looked at them, and he goes, like, “URGHHH.” Like showed his teeth at them, and they all died laughing.

Tobias Harris

Spoiler

He listens to a lot of music, whether it’s country, I don’t really know a lot of words but they’re rappers and whatnot, they got good beats and whatnot, but he also listens to … I had to introduce him to a lot of hip-hop rappers, teach him about Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Nas, 50 Cent, Jay Z, a lot of New York rappers, you know what I mean? Um, so yeah, I had to diversify him.

He wants to know about the culture, learn about the culture and kinda fit in in the best way, however he really feels.

Jon Leuer

Spoiler

One of the first times I met him I was walking outside the practice facility, and he would roll up, and I remember he would always have his speakers blaring something, whether it was Cardi B or one time I remember he had Spice Girls blaring, 2 Chainz, like every day.

Aaron Gray, trener visokih igraca u Detroitu

Spoiler

He’s the guy on the off day when you’ve lost two in a row to teams you shouldn’t have lost to, he just brings so much joy to you. You can sit there and watch so many negative clips of things that could just ruin your day, and all of a sudden, you see Boban for 15 minutes and you’re just, like, “Alright man, this is what it’s about. This is the good stuff.”

Avery Bradley

Spoiler

Mexican food. He does not like it. We had it right when we got traded to the Clippers together. We drove to Santa Monica together. I was like, “Bobi, what you want to eat, bro?” And he was like, “It don’t matter.” So I was like, ‘Let’s go and get some Mexican food,’ and he did not like it. I don’t remember what he got. He might have played it safe and just got some fish. Like, instead of fish tacos, just some fish. I kept trying to get him to try stuff, and he did not like it. But we hung out that whole day. We had a nice day together. We went to True Foods after because he didn’t like the Mexican food. He got like a teriyaki bowl or something like that.

Andrew Loomis COS Detroita 2 dio

Spoiler

NBA players kinda come into this and, you know, there’s an element of skepticism of people that they don’t know, especially younger guys from the United States. And then if you have players who come from overseas and have different backgrounds … being social with your friends is a big priority. You go to cafes and you have coffee, you get together, relationships are very, very important. We had Zaza Pachulia here as well and Aron Baynes.

With all those guys, they’re much more willing to share more of themselves with people and kinda further the relationship development. If you know people better, I think you play harder, and you get more results. Those guys — like Aron Baynes loves food and loves to cook. Zaza, we’d go to a Georgian restaurant in New York. Boban, he’d talk about being in Belgrade, things like that, his culture. You learn so much more about people so much quicker, you know? Guys like that. Rather than just trying to pull it out of guys. I just think the authenticity and genuineness of some of the foreign players, the international guys, just helps so much. If you look back at the Spurs for so many years with Manu and Tony Parker and guys like that, when you have Pop, who appreciates sitting down … Everything I’ve read, he’s a very social person, he’s very relationship-driven, he’s very authentic with visiting with players, getting to know them and their families, I think that’s really an area of opportunity with players. I think with Boban, from Day One, he relied on people to help him and get him set up and he shared a little bit of himself and as a result, here we are several years later, still think the world of him, still love seeing him when we play whatever team he’s on, and think a lot of him. That certainly can’t be said for a lot of guys.

Kong Coumoundouros, equipment manager

Spoiler

When he first got to Detroit … we were playing a preseason game in Philly, and we all went to dinner, a group of us, it was a bunch of 7-footers, it wasn’t just like he was out there. Aron Baynes, me, Aaron Gray … so it wasn’t just him sticking out. We’re walking back from the steakhouse, a Brazilian steakhouse, all of a sudden there’s bicycles going by, and … they start going, “Boban, Boban, Boban!” They start screaming his name. And everyone starts going like this. This was him fresh in the league, too. He had only had two years, one in San Antonio and one in Detroit. And this was Philly. It wasn’t somewhere (he had played yet).

He told me once, and we were waiting for a big group of guys, other players and some staff to go out to dinner, and we were waiting on people, seeing if anyone would cancel last minute. And he told me, “I don’t understand. If I say I’m going to go, I’m going to go. I will only cancel if I have to cancel.” Just, this is the way it should be. That’s one of the reasons I really liked him.

Anthony Toliver

Spoiler

We’re actually business partners now. I brought him in on a deal that I was doing called BigBlanket.com, and of course, he’s the perfect spokesperson for it. We had a photo shoot at my house actually earlier this year, and, yeah, he’s literally the perfect person for that.

Patty Mills

Spoiler

(I introduced him to) the word Bala, which means brother in my language. I played against him whenever it was, the under-19 world championships, that was probably 2006 or so. I’ve kinda known him playing international at the junior level, and seeing him around.

Maxi Kleber

Spoiler

On the plane, every once in a while, he just walks back to where I’m sitting. And he just wants to talk to you. And he just sits down on the side of the chair where there’s basically no space because he’s too tall. And you kind of sit uncomfortably there, and you just have a conversation with him because he decides to have a conversation with you. And once he puts his hand or arm around you, you’re like, “OK, brother, that’s a little too heavy. That’s a little much.” He just does that because he wants to have a nice conversation, but he doesn’t realize when he puts his hand around your neck that’s kind of scary.

Gregg Popovich

Spoiler

I felt like an idiot (when we didn’t re-sign him after his rookie season). Sometimes, you do things because you know it’s right for the person. If you can do something that’s good for the team and the person, that’s great. But he was, we brought him over here so he felt that loyalty and everything. But we sort of had to explain to him that that loyalty only goes so far. You’ve got to take care of your family, and people make decisions to take care of their families. The offer he was getting was something that we couldn’t match, and I would have felt forever guilty if I would have convinced him to stay and give up all that money. In the end, I just had to say, “No, you’re going. You’re gonna go. You have a family. You have to do it.” And he begrudgingly went.

He’s also intelligent. It’s not like he’s a dumb guy; this guy’s smart as hell. But his agent had to talk to him, and I had to talk to him. I can’t remember at this point if I had anybody else talk to him, but he got it pretty quickly and understood that this was the logical move for him. We told him, we’ll always be there for you, anything you need and I’m sure the Mavs feel the same way about him. He’s been great.

Andrew Loomis 3 dio

Spoiler

He’s comfortable being 7’4, but it’s fallen on us to kind of protect him to some degree, being 7’4 and not making everything always about his height, being as big as he is and making sure we shed light on all the other things that are remarkable. It’s not just about a guy who’s 7’4; it’s about a guy who’s 7’4, who works hard, who’s a professional, that cares about the community that does appearances like all these things that you want to highlight. So it’s not, like, “Hey, guess this?” Or, “If you put two things next to each other, do they equal the height of Boban?” Like, dumb things like that, promotions, things that may be the easy way out for other people doing their jobs but at the same time, he’s comfortable with it, but it’s certainly not the thing that’s representative of the way he is.

And there were times where he grabbed me, and he wasn’t comfortable with something — like, I’m glad we got to the point where he would share that. You don’t like to make decisions for guys, but when they come to you, voice their concerns, you owe it to them to try to correct it and make the narrative something that, you know, other people didn’t intend it to be. It’s the easy way out sometimes people take. He’s just so much more than a big guy, you know?

Mark Cuban

Spoiler

You know how I go out on the court and shoot before games? He came out and shot with me. And I think that was part of the reason he wanted to come to the Mavs. 

In a lot of respects, (he’s) like Dirk. Dirk would get to know everybody’s names and everything. And get to know people and be nice, and yuk it up with them. And Boban does the same thing. Their senses of humor are different, but Boban uses his to seek the spotlight where Dirk didn’t do that. But behind the scenes, when Boban is just around people —  same as Dirk was, or is. He’s just got a big heart with everyone.

I just did a podcast for a guy who used to work as a ballboy for the Mavs when I first bought the team. And he reached out, and (the former ballboy) got to know Boban when Boban was in LA, and they’ve stayed friends. … He goes, well, we’ve got someone who wants to pitch you a business. And up pops Boban. And that’s just typical. And Boban, apparently, was nervous about it, not sure if he did it right. And I was just, like, “No, you did great, Bobi, you killed it.”

Edited by MrTwister
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5