KKCZ- bivsi igraci i treneri

kalistenika u rutini

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Marko Gudurić took a moment to walk everyone in the scrum through the pronunciation of his last name. It’s Goo-du-rich, like Goodrich with a hard “u” in the middle.

If things go his way this season, it’ll be a name Grizzlies fans quickly become acquainted with. Gudurić, 24, might have been the most intriguing signing of the summer. The 6-foot-6 Serbian was a virtual unknown to those who aren’t diehard international basketball followers, but he had been on the Grizzlies’ radar for quite some time. The Athletic’s Dave DuFour reported Memphis’ interest in Gudurić on July 1, and both sides reached an agreement on a two-year, $5.3 million deal nearly a month later.

Roughly two months after joining the Grizzlies, Gudurić was finally introduced during media day on Monday — and there was a sizeable list of questions for Gudurić to wade through before things became more basketball-focused.

Despite signing his deal two months ago, he had only been in the United States for seven days before Monday. The FIBA World Cup kept him occupied for much of the summer as Serbia finished fifth in the tournament.

He’s optimistic his girlfriend, parents and younger brother will be able to join him in Memphis soon.

“Right now, nobody,” he said when asked who made the trip to the U.S. with him. “They need to get their visas. It’s difficult from Serbia to get their visa from here. Hopefully, they will be here soon.”

Even though English is Gudurić’s second language, it’s difficult to tell. He learned English in school and by watching movies and TV shows, such as “Blacklist,” without subtitles. He hasn’t seen the new Memphis-based NBC law drama “Bluff City Law” yet, though.

And he waved off any concerns he isn’t ready for the NBA. He noted he’s had several teammates play in the league. Serbia’s World Cup squad had four — Nikola Jokić, Bogdan Bogdanović, Nemanja Bjelica and Boban Marjanović.

Bogdanović and Gudurić are friends, and Bogdanović had some words of encouragement after Gudurić took the opportunity in Memphis.

“(I have to) just be ready physically, first of all, and then from Day 1, try to win every competition and try to go as hard as possible,” Gudurić said. “Be yourself.”

As he awaits the arrival of his family, Gudurić will acquaint himself with the Grizzlies. Playing in the NBA has long been a dream of his, but in his words, he was never the best prospect on his own team. He just needed a chance to prove himself — one the Grizzlies’ new regime has given him.

“I was always under the radar,” Gudurić said. “But I was working hard every day and just trying to pick as many informations as possible from players, coaches. I love basketball. I watch a lot of games and just try to get better. And here I am today. I’m so happy.”

If his performance overseas translates, he could be the perfect fit for coach Taylor Jenkins’ pace-and-space style. Gudurić is one of several wings competing to crack the starting lineup. He left Europe with a reputation as an accurate 3-point marksman, which should earn him some bonus points with Jenkins. But he’s more than just a shooter.

Gudurić shot 40 percent from behind the arc on 366 attempts through four years of EuroLeague and FIBA play, per Basketball-Reference. He also made 48 percent of his shots overall, including 57 percent of his 2-pointers within that span. He hit a whopping 63 percent of his shots inside the arc with Turkish EuroLeague squad Fenerbahce last year. He isn’t the quickest player, but he’s a capable ballhandler and sees the floor well.

Fittingly, Jenkins couldn’t pinpoint just one aspect of his game that stood out when describing Gudurić’s first day of practice on Tuesday.

“He’s just a basketball player,” Jenkins said. “He does a lot of different things. Obviously known to be a really good shooter, but he can play pick and rolls, he can play off the ball, he can play on the ball and he’s a great team defender. So, he’s got a lot of good traits going for him on both ends of the floor and that’s something we’re going to need.”

Fittingly, Gudurić’s two favorite players ever to watch in the NBA are known for their versatility — Manu Ginobili and Klay Thompson. Jenkins praised Gudurić’s IQ and willingness to dive headfirst into things on Tuesday, even as he adjusts to the speed of the NBA.

The shooting guard battle will be one to watch heading into the regular season. Just about every wing brings something slightly different to the equation, whether it’s Grayson Allen’s potential as a pure shooter, Dillon Brooks’ two-way ability or De’Anthony Melton’s defensive upside. Melton is recovering from a stress fracture in his lower back and appears unlikely to return before the regular season starts, however.

An opportunity exists for Gudurić to separate himself from the pack. His potential as an elite shooter alone could be enough, especially if he’s a 38 percent-plus 3-point shooter from the jump. Barring major internal improvement, the Grizzlies will need as much help from outside the arc as possible. Factor in his ballhandling, his ability to manipulate the pick and roll and his size, and it becomes clear few in camp with the Grizzlies can match his overall package.

“He’s a great competitor,” Jenkins said. “The pace of play is a bit different from what he’s been exposed to, but he’s making a purposeful effort to play at a fast pace, the confidence to let it fly. It’s going to be a seamless transition for his style of play and his game, individually. And then defensively, he’s competing. He’s getting in there, playing physical, playing aggressive, sticking his nose in there, so I’m happy to see his game.”

The Grizzlies may be taking a risk on Gudurić, but it’s a smart risk. As a franchise, Memphis has struggled to find above-average wing shooters in the last decade. With Jenkins attempting to incorporate the 3-pointer to a further extent than any Grizzlies coach before him, the front office left no stone unturned attempting to look for players who fit Jenkins’ style.

Serbia has had great success in producing NBA players since Vlade Divac was drafted in 1989, but the country arguably has never been as successful as it is now. Jokić has emerged as one of the best big men in the NBA. Bogdanović and Bjelica have carved out substantial roles as sharpshooters. Marjanović remains a fan favorite and an advance-stats darling. And Goran Dragić and reigning Rookie of the Year Luka Dončić, both Slovenian, have Serbian fathers.

For Gudurić, there’s little doubt he can also join the list and establish himself in the NBA.

“I know I can play,” Gudurić said. “I need to stay healthy and that’s what I wish of my teammates also, everybody to stay healthy and work hard, and we’ll see.”

Tekst o Guduricu sa media daya u Memfisu.

• Like 5

Pre bih rekao da je do toga da je turska liga mnogo pogodnija za centre, uvek je bilo nekih centara koji su dominirali ligom. U Francuskoj ima mnogo vise fizicki mocnih igraca, centara. A ja koliko mogu da primetim iz gledanja statistike LNBa, tu uglavnom dominiraju bekovi. Sto se tice turske lige, ona je nesumnjivo u slobodnom padu.

• Like 1