Opšte diskusije

Borko

Javilo se 15 kandidata da zamene Gimelstoba: https://tennis.life/2019/05/01/candidates-15-stand-for-atp-tour-board-spot/

Brandon Burke (JAM/CAN) - The 26-year-old, a former top-100 junior and Davis Cup player for Jamaica, played Ivy League tennis at Brown University and graduated with a B.A. in sociology. In 2018, he graduated from law school at York University in North York, Ont. (the Rogers Cup facility is on the campus of that university) with a Doctor of law (J.D.) degree. While there, he was a member of the Entertainment and Sports Law Association. - ja lepo rekoh mogao je i neko od nas da se prijavi 😄

Weller Evans (USA) - Evans, now 64, is the longtime former ATP Tour manager and executive vice-president, player services. He retired in 2006 after 25 years. He also was an account executive at IMG in 1983-84. He served on the (then) Men’s Tennis Council from 1985-1989 as one of the three player representatives on a council that also included reps from the ITF and the tournaments. Evans played on the Tour occasionally, from 1981 through 1989 – almost exclusively in doubles. But there is no record of his having won a match.

Brad Gilbert (USA)

Jose Hernandez-Fernandez (DOM) - The 29-year-old from the Dominican Republic is still an active Tour player. He’s currently ranked No. 280 in singles. His career-high ranking of No. 179 came in 2015. Hernandez-Fernandez played college tennis at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C. The Dominican played in the Bordeaux Challenger this week. He lost in the first round to ITF-reserve entry Oriol Roca Batalla of Spain.

Mark Knowles (BAH)- The longtime doubles star, 47, retired in 2016 after a standout career where he made his name in doubles. Knowles won 55 doubles titles and made the finals 44 additional times. His most successful partnership came with Canadian Daniel Nestor. He won titles every season but one, between 1993 and 2012. That’s remarkable longevity. Nestor and Knowles won the Australian Open, French Open and US Open among their many trophies Knowles reached the No. 1 ranking in doubles for the first time in 2012. Knowles, who went to UCLA, has done some coaching (notably, he has worked with both Milos Raonic and Stan Wawrinka during the grass-court swings, and American Ryan Harrison). He also is a sports ambassador for the Bahamas, and works in real estate. As well, he’s been an analyst on Tennis Channel since 2013.

Steve Krulevitz (USA)- The former top-50 Tour player, now 67, is  Baltimore born and raised and has dual Israeli-American citizenship. Nicknamed “Lightning”, he self-published a memoir in 2017. Krulevitz earned a Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology from UCLA in 1974. He also played on the varsity team, and at one time was the No. 7 junior player in the U.S. and named to the junior Davis Cup team. He played on Tour for a decade, reaching a career high of No. 70 in singles, and winning four titles in doubles. After his career, he founded the Steve Krulevitz Tennis Program and in 2015, was named USPTA Mid-Atlantic High School coach of the year.

Luke Jensen (USA) - Jensen, 52, was the French Open men’s doubles champion in 1992 with brother Murphy. He reached a career high of No. 168 in singles, but got to No. 6 in doubles, with 10 career titles. Notably, he could serve with both arms and seriously messed with people. The brothers brought a whole new level of fun to the game. He was the women’s head tennis coach at Syracuse University from 2006-2014. But he resigned early in the 2014 season, officially to “pursue other opportunities”. It emerged that there had been issues, reportedly of inappropriate conduct, with several members of the team. Jensen continued to do good work at a tennis academy for children and young adults with Down Syndrome. He’s the Director of racquet sports at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, NY, the longtime former home of the US Open.

Nicolás Lapentti (ECU) - From Ecuador, the 42-year-old reached No. 6 in the ATP Tour rankings in 1999, and has five career singles titles. He is from an accomplished tennis family. His brothers Giovanni and Leonardo also played professionally. And his uncle, Andrés Gomez, and cousins Roberto and Emilio Gomez have done the same. Gomez, notably, is the 1990 French Open champion. Lapentti played in 38 Davis Cup ties from 1993 through 2010, posting a 41-16 record in singles. He ran for the presidency of the Ecuadorian Tennis Federation in 2012, and served for several years. He remains on the federation’s board. Lapentti currently is involved in a lot of different areas. He has a television production company called Play On Media. And he is president of a family-owned real estate development outside Guayaquil called Bahia Muyoyo.

Peter Lawler (USA) - Lawler, who did his undergraduate degree at Yale and graduated from Georgetown law, had a long career in the agency business. He was one of the founders of the original Advantage International agency in 1983, and was its managing director from 1983 to 2007. The company was rebranded as Octagon in 1997. This eye-opening story from the Washington Post in … 1985, in which Lawler is quoted, is astonishing in the sense that when you read it, the names may have changed. But the issues in tennis haven’t changed in more than three decades. Notably, Lawler was long married to WTA Tour president Mickey Lawler, who ran the tennis division at Octagon for many years. The couple is now divorced.

Tim Mayotte (USA)

Austin Nunn (USA) - The American has experience in communication for the WTA Tour and World Team Tennis. He also has worked on behalf of various players including Milos Raonic. Trilingual, Nunn’s experiences range from partnership management, international PR, event management, media strategy, Content, event marketing, sponsor sales and talent management.

Nicolas Pereira (VEN) - Pereira was a standout junior player, winning the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open junior boys’ titles in 1988. (He didn’t play the Australian Open that year). As a pro, he didn’t quite reach those lofty heights. Pereira reached No. 74 in singles, with two titles, and also was a top-50 doubles player. These days, he’s a host and television analyst for the Spanish arm of ESPN, and has experience in sports marketing and PR. He speaks four languages, and has been a voting member of the Tennis Hall of Fame since 2015. Pereira also has been an ATP Tour Alumni Committee member since 2016.

Michael Russell (USA) - The American, who turns 41 today, retired four years ago after a long career during which he was renowned as one of the hardest-working players on Tour. After being named Rookie of the Year at the University of Miami, he turned pro in 1998. In a career that began in 1997 and wrapped up in 2015, he reached a career high of No. 60. While he was on Tour he also earned a degree in business administration from the University of Phoenix in 2012. He has a tennis coaching business in Texas, and has worked with Ryan Harrison.

Daniel Vallverdu - Vallverdu, a Venezuelan who has also worked with Andy Murray and Tomas Berdych, is currently the coach of Tour player Grigor Dimitrov. He reached a career best No. 55 in the ITF rankings as a junior. He partnered up with the likes of Fabio Fognini and Pablo Andujar in doubles back then. But his most frequent partner was Murray, with whom he has maintained a long friendship. The two first met at the Sánchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona when they were just 15. The 33-year-old didn’t break into the top 700 on the ATP Tour during a career that spanned 2004-10. And he quickly turned to coaching. But not before graduating from the University of Miami in 2009, with a BA in International Marketing and Finance. Vallverdu was voted in as a coaches’ representative on the ATP Player Council in June, 2018.

Modesto (Tito) Vasquez (ARG) - Vasquez, from Argentina, is the nation’s former Davis Cup captain. Spanish-born, he moved to Argentina with his family at a young age, after the Spanish Civil War. From 1967-71, he played college tennis at UCLA. Among his teammates was the legendary Jimmy Connors. The 70-year-old held the Davis Cup post from 1986-1988, and returned in 2008 to replace Alberto Mancini, who had resigned after Argentina lost to Spain in the final. It had been a controversial decision, as Guillermo Vilas and Martin Jaite had also been candidates. He lasted two years. Vasquez coached Victor Pecci when Pecci made the 1979 French Open final. And he not only was the Argentina Davis Cup captain, he did the same for Paraguay and Venezuela – which has to be some kind of record.

Pa lepa je to parica, 100000$ godisnje 😄 pogotovu za neke koji nisu bas ostvarili puno u karijeri.

Plus tu je par tipova povezanih s agencijama (IMG) koje bi (pretpostavljam) htele da zadrze kontrolu nad Bordom i ATP-om. Jedan od clanova Borda (s strane turnira) je potpredsednik IMG:

spacer.png

Pogledaj ovaj clanak iz 1985 - neke stvari se i nisu bas promenile 😞 :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1985/10/03/control-of-mens-tennis-is-at-stake-in-bitter-dispute/9024f8e8-5116-4296-a880-a43edcf73eae/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5a689b2dafe2

Koliko sam shvatila do danas su bili samo Brad Gilbert i Mayotte kandidati a od kad se povukao Gimelstob su se ostali pojavili kao kandidati. Pise u tekstu da su svi oni daleko ispod Gimelstob-a po kompetenciji za taj posao.

Neobicno koliko se u poslednje vreme prica o Council. Godinama vec postoji i predsednici i sve se menjalo i to se jedva pominjalo. Sad sam tek iscitala da je prva "revolucija" u vezi ATP bila predvodjena Willanderom, MakEnroom i Edbergom koji su se borili za bolje islove i pogotovo vece nagrade losije klasiranih tenisera , takoreci isti tekst kao Novak i council sada.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Blast_From_the_Past/48873/the-atp-and-the-parking-lot-conference-how-a-revolution-began/

Tipujem da ce biti Brad Gilbert ili Mayotte

@wwww ja ne mogu da procitam ovo iz Washington posta ne znam da li sam jedina

Edited by ciao

Evo ga tekst:

Control of Men's Tennis Is at Stake in Bitter Dispute

October 3, 1985

Spoiler

Seventeen years into the era of open tennis, the sport has never been richer. Players are making fortunes in prize money, exhibition money and endorsements. Their agents are making fortunes by making them fortunes. Promoters and tournament directors are counting their money. And television coverage becomes more lucrative by the minute.

But in the midst of all this wealth, there is turmoil. The stakes are high and the issue is simple: who will run men's tennis?

The Men's International Pro Tennis Council, led by its administrator, Marshall Happer, believes the game should be run by an autonomous group made up of players, tournament directors and administrators. In other words, the council itself.

The International Management Group (IMG) and ProServ Inc., the two giant agencies that manage players, tournaments, television rights and sponsorships around the world, think things are just fine the way they are now. The way they are now, according to Happer, mean that IMG and ProServ run the game.

"Almost everyone in tennis is intimidated by IMG and ProServ," Happer said. "Their hand is everywhere. There are just too many conflicts of interest. That has to change."

Donald Dell, chairman of ProServ, fires back at Happer this way: "There are more conflicts inside the council than there have ever been outside the council. Marshall Happer wants a monopoly in tennis. He wants to control everything. He wants to be commissioner of tennis."

Control is the issue. Happer and the council feel it is a conflict of interest for agencies such as IMG and ProServ to run tournaments, provide the players for the tournaments and then package the television rights for them, even sometimes doing commentary on those telecasts. IMG and ProServ say everything is working just fine that way and there is no need to change.

When Happer last spring proposed rules to the council that would have effectively forced IMG and ProServ out of the tennis tournament business, those two joined a suit already filed against the council by Volvo (a client of ProServ), alleging the council was trying to force them out of the business of running tennis tournaments.

This has served to unify ProServ and IMG, for years intense rivals in the often vicious competition to secure clients.

"If the U.S. Senate wanted to pass a law banning carbonated soft drinks, I'm sure Coke and Pepsi would work together," Bob Kain, director of IMG's tennis division, said. "Business sometimes makes strange bedfellows. When their business is threatened, so is ours, because we're in the same business."

Dell says he understands the council's concerns to some extent and believes Happer is sincere "about his concern for the game." But he says, "If there had been a council 10 years ago and they wanted to start from scratch, maybe it could have been done. But not now. You can't unscramble the eggs after they've already been cooked."

Since tennis became a big business in 1968, when it went to open play -- allowing pros and amateurs to compete together -- the game's biggest nonplaying name has been Dell. Once captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team, Dell did television analysis on PBS beginning in 1967. Two years later, he opened his agency. His first client was Arthur Ashe and, from those beginnings, Dell built an empire.

IMG and its founder and current chairman, Mark McCormack, came into tennis after having built an empire in golf, where McCormack managed Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. McCormack and IMG made their first big splash in tennis when they took over the management of the illustrious Australians -- Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall and John Newcombe -- then, in 1973, Kain signed Bjorn Borg.

Not surprisingly, ProServ and IMG became, and have remained, bitter rivals. Both firms are very much involved in the management of tournaments. Some of those tournaments are Grand Prix tournaments, which include the four majors (the Australian, French and U.S. Opens, plus Wimbledon) and the Grand Prix Masters.

Under rules set up by the pro council, players must compete in at least 14 Grand Prix tournaments a year. ProServ owns a tournament in Florida and manages several others, including the D.C. National Bank Classic. IMG manages the U.S. Pro in Boston, a stop in Cleveland and several stops on the European circuit.

For a fee or a percentage, both firms also help line up sponsors for tournaments. ProServ got Volvo involved in tennis in the 1970s, first as a tournament sponsor, then as sponsor for both the Masters and the Grand Prix tour and now, again, as a tournament sponsor.

A relatively minor incident involving Volvo brought about the suit that now threatens to greatly alter the structure of tennis. After Volvo lost sponsorship of the Grand Prix and the Masters to Nabisco, Volvo placed a banner at individual tournaments it still sponsored. That banner -- and not one hung by Nabisco, the tour's overall sponsor -- was picked up by television. The television rights were controlled by ProServ, which represents Volvo.

In March, Happer sent an angry letter to Volvo chairman Bjorn Ahlstrom accusing him of, "engaging in a course of conduct which violates the laws of the United States and constitutes acts of unfair competition by deliberately and intentionally misleading the public into believing that Volvo is the circuit sponsor of Grand Prix tennis."

Happer wrote that he and the council were "demanding" that Volvo and its agents (ProServ) "cease and desist" immediately.

In retrospect, Happer says maybe he should have called instead of writing, but this brings up the one other area in which ProServ and IMG service tennis tournaments. Both sell TV rights, also for a per-centage. Often, they produce the telecasts they have sold, and one of the analysts for the USA Network and for PBS tennis telecasts is Dell.

"I always say at the top of the telecast if I have a relationship with a player," Dell said. "And, if anything, I have been accused of going too far in being critical of my clients on the air. I don't see any reason why I should stop."

Dell's critics says this isn't true, that he may refer to a client on the air as "my friend," but often neglects to say specifically that he and the player are financially linked.

Dell's insistence on remaining on TV is a relatively minor issue. The major issues, according to Happer, are the two giant firms' insistence on representing both players and tournaments.

ProServ and IMG also run a number of special events around the world. "Special event" is a tennis euphemism for a tournament in which players openly receive guarantees for playing. The major reason for the pro council's 14-event minimum is to prevent special events and exhibitions from dominating tennis. After all, why would a player take part in a Grand Prix tournament in which he may have to win six matches to collect $60,000 when he can play in a special event and be guaranteed that much or more simply by showing up?

John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Jimmy Connors each make well in excess of $1 million annually from special events and exhibitions, more than double what they make in prize money from Grand Prix tournaments.

There is one other agency in this scenario: Advantage International. Advantage is No. 3 among tennis agencies. It was spawned in 1983 by a squabble within ProServ that resulted in several of that agency's top people -- led by Dell's longtime partners Frank Craighill and Lee Fentress -- leaving the firm and forming Advantage.

Advantage does not run Grand Prix tournaments but it does represent players like McEnroe, Hana Mandlikova and others. Although asked by ProServ and IMG to join in their suit, Advantage declined. "We think this is a one-issue lawsuit and the one issue is the involvement of ProServ and IMG in the running of tennis tournaments," said Peter Lawler, vice president of Advantage. "Clearly, there are conflicts involved there that should be stopped."

When agencies actually own the sanctions to a tournament, three major conflicts do arise: scheduling, officiating and the issuing of wild-card spots.

A wild card is a free trip into the draw of a tournament for a player whose ranking does not grant him an automatic berth. For example, in a 64-player tournament, there may be 50 ranked players who go directly into the main draw. There may be eight berths for qualifiers and six wild cards. The wild cards can be given to anyone: an aging star with a big name or a rising local star. Or they can be given to a client of the agency running the tournament. Or they can be given to a young player the agency is recruiting.

"Are wild cards used for recruiting?" Kain asked. "Sure, they are. I think that's one area where Marshall has a legitimate point and where we would be willing to sit down and talk."

Dell concedes that agencies use wild cards, but says, "If I'm running the tournament in Washington and I want to put my puppy dog into the draw, that's my right.

"But we aren't alone in this," Dell said. "The ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) runs tournaments and they use their wild cards for their board members. When John McEnroe plays in a tournament, he gets his brother a wild card into the tournament. How are we different?"

Scheduling is another area in which Kain concedes Happer's concerns merit discussion. If an agency is running a tournament and one of its clients wants to play at a specific time and gets that specific time, there are bound to be accusations of favoritism.

Again, Dell doesn't back down. "I don't run the Washington tournament," he said. "I founded it, but there is a tournament director who does scheduling and there is a Grand Prix supervisor who has to approve that schedule."

True. But the tournament director in Washington last summer was a ProServ employe. And, according to David Cooper, who supervises Grand Prix officials, the tournament supervisor will only step in if the schedule does not conform to Grand Prix rules.

Regarding officiating, Happer argues that the situation of an agency representing players and then hiring officials for matches involving those players is akin to management of the Washington Redskins hiring the officials who work their football team's games. Again, Dell points out that the Grand Prix supervisor has final say. Again, the Grand Prix makes the point that only if a rule is broken does the supervisor intervene.

Happer maintains that IMG and ProServ use their influence with clients to do business with tournaments. "There are only so many top tennis players in the world," he said. "That means tournaments around the world are scrambling like crazy to get guys."

What that means, in Happer's view, is this: if one of the agencies wants to negotiate the TV rights for a tournament, or if it wants to be hired to procure sponsors, it can use players as a wedge.

None of the agencies denies the use of players as trade-offs, as in, "You want Connors, give me a wild card for X." But they don't see that as a reason to bar them from involvement in tournaments.

"We've run tennis tournaments for 15 years. That's longer than the pro council has existed and we are very good at it," Kain said. "We think what we do is good for the game. We're good at what we do and we don't see any reason why we should stop."

And that is the heart of the issue: ProServ and IMG are making a lot of money through their involvement with tennis tournaments and don't want to cease that involvement. Happer and the council maintain that it is bad for tennis to have agencies -- regardless of competence -- representing both players and the tournaments recruiting them.

Given the personal as well as professional rancor, this case appears headed for a court decision. And historically, court decisions -- whomever they favor -- lead to major changes in a sport.

• Like 1

Monney Monney Monney 😀

Detalj (relativno nevazan u kontekstu) koji me iznenadio za godinu 1985 :

... John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Jimmy Connors each make well in excess of $1 million annually from special events and exhibitions, more than double what they make in prize money from Grand Prix tournaments. ...

Za to doba ogromne pare, mislila sam da su velike pare za elitne igrace pocele kasnije

Ova prica ce da se zavrsi ako dobro shvatam sredinom maja, sto znaci da do tada Novak bas i nece moci da se posveti treniranju full time, ni fizicki ni u glavi :smiley33:

c'est la vie

Edited by ciao

9 hours ago, ciao said:

Ova prica ce da se zavrsi ako dobro shvatam sredinom maja, sto znaci da do tada Novak bas i nece moci da se posveti treniranju full time, ni fizicki ni u glavi :smiley33:

c'est la vie

Ne pazim na času...

Šta Novak ima od toga da se bavi tom administrativnom temom, a ne tenisom? Obezbeđuje sebi neku poziciju u ATP upravi posle karijere ili šta?

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Ne pazim na času...

Šta Novak ima od toga da se bavi tom administrativnom temom, a ne tenisom? Obezbeđuje sebi neku poziciju u ATP upravi posle karijere ili šta?

Novak je u fazonu pomaganja less fortunate.

Recimo da veliki igraci hoce da ostave nesto za sobom kao zaostavstinu (pored sportskih rezultata). Pa imas Federera s Laver kupom, Rafa se bavi svojom akademijom, a evo Novak ovim, sto je potpuno u skladu s filozofijom Amor y paz.

Ne znam koliko dugo pratis tenis na B92, ali negde oko onog finala DC 2010 na forumu je pisao neko ko je licno poznavao Novaka, Janka, Viktora i desavanja unutar reprezentacije. Pa je napisao nesto u stilu da je Novak zaista bas dobar covek (ono "u dusi", da se zrtvuje za kolektiv itakoto) - da ne duzim sad. Sve je to bilo pre bilo kakve Novak manije u Srbiji. Takodje, Janko je prakticno sve to potvrdio u Tennis Podcastu Davida Law-a pre koju sedmicu.

Kad su pre desetak godina Big 3 zajedno ucestvovali u radu Saveta igraca (Fed kao predsednik, Rafa kao podpredsednik a Novak kao clan) bila je fora da se najveca imena iskoriste i da se obezbedi veci kolac i bolji uslovi za igrace (vecita borba u profesionalnom tenisu, jos od osnivanja ATP - Edberg, WIlander i Mekinro su takodje bili vrlo aktivni u svoje vreme). Tada su uspeli da izboksuju bitna povecanja nagradnog fonda na GS-ovima i jos neke stvari. To je ono vreme kad se Rafa zalagao da se rang lista pravi na osnovu poslednje 104 sedmice, a ne 52 (jer je on zbog povreda cesto odsustvovao, a ovako je hteo da obezbedi da ga protivnici ne preteknu bas tako lako 😉 ), pa je lobirao da se WTF igra na sljaci (da bi mogao da ga osvoji 😉 ) i jos neke stvari. Federer se nije slagao s ovim. Bilo je jos nekih neslaganja medju njima, progurao je "svog" coveka za CEO ATP umesto Nadalovog (mozda je ovo prethodno bilo malo grubo prema Nadalu, mozda su neke njegove ideje koje nisu prosle bile i dobre, ali ih je Fed "preglasao") - sve u svemu pukla je bila tikva medju Fedalom, pa je Rafa tada javno svasta nesto negativno rekao o Fedu (tada nije bilo velike ljubavi i prijateljstva medju njima 😉 ). Elem, nedugo posle toga "velika imena" su se povukla iz PC, da bi pre nekih 3-4-5 godina Novak i Endi ponovo usli u PC, Novak kao predsednik, Endi kao podpredsednik (pri cemu su britanksi mediji radili kampanju da Endi kao veliki "feminista" postane predsednik - ali nije proslo. Oni koji prate situaciju kazu da je od tada britanska stampa narocito  negativna prema Novaku).

Inace, pre koju godinu sam slusala Stakovskog koji je bio gost u nekom americkom podkastu (valjda SI-a) i u kome je govorio o tome kako igraci uopste nisu svesni kako stvari funkcionisu u okviru ATP-a (nemaju vremena (ni znanja) da se bave time jer im je primarni posao tenis, menadzeri se brinu o svemu (a oni su i deo problema ), mladi igraci su tek usli u sve to i treba vremena dok se pohvataju svi konci, a dok se to desi obicno se karijere vec i zavrsavaju), koliko se tu novca i interesa vrti. Rekao je da je njemu trebalo poprilicno vremena da sve to pohvata ali da sada zna poprilicno o svemu. I to je verovatno i razlog zasto ga biraju u PC - jer zna kako stvari funkcionisu i sta se sve desava i kako. Pospisil je ocigledno posao njegovim stopama.

Elem, procitah ovih dana (mislim da je to komentarisala kanadska novinarka Stefani Majls) kako je Gimelstob (koji je u Bordu od 2008, od vremena kad je Fed bio na celu PC) ovo sad najzad uspeo da ubedi No. 1 da se bas aktivira i zalegne za promene u ATP. Ne znam koliko je ovo tacno i koliko je sve to bas sam uticaj GImelstoba (Novak je i onako sklon tim pomaganjima slabijima), ali je ocigledno da je Gimelstob bio trn u oku predstavnicima turnira i agencijama (IMG). Tako da je njegovo ludovanje u privatnom zivotu doslo kao kec na 10 da ga maknu. Kakav je udeo Fedove i Goldstikove agencije Team8 u celoj prici (ima li tu nekog rivaliteta s IMG) - ne znam. Ali postoje poslovne veze izmedju njih i Tennis Channel-a (gde je Gimelstob radio) i tennis.com sajta. U svakom slucaju na delu je borba za vlast, mocu, uticaj u okviru ATP (velike se pare vrte, a igraci su polako postali svesni kolike i "hoce svoj deo").

Za Novaka bi daleko bezbolnije bilo da se ne gnjavi svim ovim i ne trosi energiju (sebi i svojim potomcima je zaradio dosta), vec da se fokusira na tenis i osvajanje GS titula, ali on eto voli da se bori s vetrenjacama, pa to ti je!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Ne pazim na času...

Hvala wwww na detaljnom objasnjenju !

Samo da odgovorim jos konkretno : Glasanje za naslednika Gimelstoba je oko 14 og maja a savet igraca i Novak kao predsednik Saveta igraca ce da ucestvuju u svetu tome a do tada pretpostavljam dogovori razgovori i slicno (sem ako sa nisu vec dogovorili sto se najiskrenije nadam). Pitanja, komentari i dosadjivanje novinara i ostalih okolo da ne pominjemo, ali on je pristao da bude predsednik saveta i trudi se da radi svoj posao posteno ukratko

• Like 1

E, hvala na detaljnom objašnjenju.

Forum pratim od AO 2013, a neke 2014 sam se registrovao tamo.

Pre toga sam pratio rezultate naših još od 2007me, ali nisam znao detalje poput da je Novak imao Adidas opremu, to sam čuo na forumu :classic_smile:.

Znao sam dosta delova ovog mozaika, ali ne celu priču.

Novakov altruizam koji ne vodi ničem :smiley26:

PS. Znači ona FEDAL kafica je kafica pomirenja :57:

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 2

Stan napisao otvoreno pismo

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/morals-are-declining-in-tennis-stan-wawrinkas-letter-to-the-times-f9qsnxjb8

a ako neko ne moze da otvori ceo clanak

Spoiler

Stan Wawrinka has revealed his deep concern about a “worrying decline in moral standards” in men’s tennis after the political storm involving the disgraced Justin Gimelstob.

In a letter published today in The Times, which can be read below, the three-times grand-slam champion from Switzerland addresses the recent turmoil around the administration of the ATP men’s tour, caused by Gimelstob and his supporters.

Gimelstob, 42, resigned with immediate effect from his role as an ATP board member on Wednesday after growing calls for him to step aside following his conviction last week for assault. Andy Murray was among the high-profile individuals to state publicly that the retired two-times grand slam mixed doubles champion from the United States should hold no position of power or authority in tennis.

“I feel compelled to express my views on this regrettable period in our sport,” Wawrinka wrote. “This episode has left many players, myself included, concerned about the direction tennis is heading in.”

Wawrinka, 34, believes that Gimelstob should not have continued with his administrative duties when charged in December. Despite taking a leave of absence from his commentary work for the Tennis Channel, an American cable network, Gimelstob remained at the ATP as a player representative. The board voted against removing him. Gimelstob then played a key role in ousting Chris Kermode, the ATP’s executive chairman and president. In March, Gimelstob voted with fellow player representatives David Egdes and Alex Inglot against renewing Kermode’s contract at the end of the year.

The decision to end Kermode’s reign has baffled many players as, under his stewardship since 2014, the tour has experienced record prize money and commercial growth. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal voiced their concerns about a lack of consultation from Novak Djokovic, who as president of the player council was an ally of Gimelstob in the plot to remove Kermode.

It does not sit well with Wawrinka that Gimelstob continued pulling strings while facing a judicial process for assaulting Randall Kaplan, a former friend, last Hallowe’en. Kaplan alleged that he was punched in the head and face more than 50 times. His wife Madison claimed that trauma suffered as a result of witnessing the attack caused her to suffer a miscarriage.

“There is no place in our sport for those who behave like Justin,” Wawrinka wrote. “The lack of responses from people involved in the game, particularly at the beginning of this saga, when he was charged last December, was alarming. This is a situation where silence amounts to complicity.”

The controversy has exposed troubling conflicts of interest in tennis. Likely to come under further scrutiny is the influence of IMG, an agency that manages players and tournaments, yet has a seat on the board through its senior vice president, Gavin Forbes.

Wawrinka’s letter in full

Sir,

The past six months have been eventful for the ATP and men’s professional tennis. Sadly, politics have overshadowed the action on the courts, and I feel compelled to express my views on this regrettable period in our sport. This episode has left many players, myself included, concerned about the direction tennis is heading in.

I started playing at the age of eight, the son of a farmer. My parents and this sport have taught me about real values, fighting hard with passion, commitment and determination, but most importantly with integrity and honesty. I have always been taught to stand up for what I believe in, and I believe that anyone associated with tennis should espouse these values.

What I have witnessed in the last few months is a worrying decline in moral standards.

I am relieved that Justin Gimelstob has finally had the decency to resign from the ATP board after being sentenced for assault, but I am dismayed by how long this took. I am also concerned that many within the game think this episode is now over, and are simply relieved at having avoided any negative press themselves. This is not good enough. We are ALL accountable and we must ALL learn from this.

There is no place in our sport for those who behave like Justin. The lack of responses from people involved in the game, particularly at the beginning of this saga, when he was charged last December, was alarming. This is a situation where silence amounts to complicity.

My fellow players on the council should never have been put in the position where they had responsibility for deciding whether Justin should have remained in his position. It is the duty of the board representatives to lead by example and protect the players. They should have immediately managed this controversy. Instead they shamefully voted in December for Justin to continue with his duties.

Many players feel that they were not represented properly throughout the last few months, during which so much has happened politically. I agree with them. I do not want to be associated with anyone who played a part in this, let alone be represented by them. I want to be represented by people with clear, strong ethical values.

Some people feel that the governance structure of the ATP does not work, that it’s too cumbersome, impossible to represent both players and tournaments. But I fundamentally believe in this system. The fault lies not in the structure, but in the calibre of people within it. There are numerous conflicts of interest to address throughout the whole sport.

Tennis is a selfish sport. Inherently people are too concerned with their own interests. This inevitably causes difficulties in the management of the tour, which have escalated in recent months.

At the end of last year, we saw record results for the ATP and men’s tennis. Now look at us. This political chaos is caused by a handful of people with personal agendas and, more disturbingly, with no alternative plan to follow up on their concerted plot to remove Chris Kermode, the executive chairman and president, earlier this year.

These moral issues are by no means unique to tennis. Indeed it feels these days as if every time you open a newspaper, another scandal is unfolding, whether it be in politics, Hollywood or the corporate world. It is more important than ever that anyone with a public platform leads by example and demonstrates real values — honesty, kindness, trust, friendship.

I am by no means perfect, as a man or as an athlete. I have been divorced and have made many a mistake during my 17-year career as a professional.

But I am passionate about tennis, proud to be a part of this great sport and determined to speak up where I see us letting ourselves down. This is a sport with global appeal, to men, women and children of all ages and all cultures. We have a responsibility to be the best we can be.

I hope our sport can put this dreadful period behind us, move forward and embrace the future.

Stan Wawrinka
Professional tennis player, Switzerland

Citiracu izvesnu Pavvy G tj njene twitove umesto da komentarisem jer se slazem skroz :

" A reminder of facts Wawrinka a Swiss citizen decides to write a “letter” about his concerns over handling of US citizen Gimelstob and concerns about the global ATP and ONLY media outlet in world he sends it to is the Times in UK? Note this letter arrives AFTER JG has resigned "

"If Federer did the exact same thing as Djokovic. Headlines today would have been “Noble Federer taking time out of his schedule to support and fight for rights of lower ranked ATP players. Instead it’s “Greedy Djokovic causing disharmony in ATP”

Postoje izvesne spekulacije da je u toku pokusaj da se Kermode vrati u ATP Board, ako to uspe a sto kazu "big monney always win at the end" postoji varijanta koja uopste ne bi bila losa po "nas" a to je - Kermode se vrati, Novak posle toga da ostavku i posveti se samo svom tenisu jesssss

Hahaha, moram ovo da postavim :roflmao: . Evo sta je Stan rekao u Januaru tokom AO:

spacer.png

Sad uporedite s onim sto je objavljeno u njegovom otvorenom "pismu". On ili nije citao ono sto su mu napisali da je "napisao" 😛 ili mu fali neka ... u glavi, ili i on spada u one nemoralne koje proziva :wicked:

Evo ga tekst kopiran:

Q. I spoke with Carlos Moya earlier this afternoon, who said he thinks there's a group of players with a different idea for the future of the game in terms of Chris Kermode's future. Your email came out last night. Do you agree with Carlos, do you think there's a group of players that are taking the direction of the game in potentially the wrong way? Do you have anything to say to those players that you haven't said in the email?
STAN WAWRINKA: I think I've been talking to a lot of players recently. I think they all see that right now is quite going the right direction with Chris Kermode. There is a lot of support about him in general. I think they talk about it a lot. There is maybe a few, little group of player that want to change completely. I don't think is the best idea for the tennis.

But now we need to see what's going to happen in the next few weeks, months.

Q. Will you do anything to further your agenda, pushing internally to rally support or will you leave it now?
STAN WAWRINKA: I think it's quite clear how and who decide about it. Now I think if you been to few press conference, you can see who is -- quite a lot of player are supporting what's now in the tennis, and hopefully it can keep and stay here, Chris.

Q. It's obviously not a good situation if there's a majority of players who think Chris is doing a good job, then the players council is not listening to the players themselves.
STAN WAWRINKA: Yeah, I think we need to see. If you talk about it, that's mean you saw a little bit what happen. I think there is a lot of people who didn't realize this was happening, and now, like, I will say that more player getting involved to know exactly what's going to happen, what's not going to happen, what's the best. Everybody is starting now to talk a little bit more about it.

Q. Rafa was one of those players who said he had not been consulted. Do you find that particularly worrying that they're not reaching out to the most experienced guys on the tour? Rafa and Roger said they're quite keen to call Novak and talk to him about it. Will you try to be doing the same thing?
STAN WAWRINKA: Well, no, for sure I was surprised that Rafa didn't know about it. That show the situation, how difficult it is right now. But, again, as I say now, there's a lot of thing that came out in the press. Now everybody's talking about it. The players are meeting here.

I think it's going to go in the right direction, at least for all the player to talk and to have some ideas.

Q. Having to leave the tournament, does that make you nervous that things will happen when you're not at the tournament? Now that you're going home, does it make you nervous that things discussions and things can be changing here on the ground in Melbourne without a lot of players and discussions still happening with a small group? Also, separately, Justin Gimelstob is facing criminal charges in the U.S. Are you comfortable with his continuing role, given those circumstances?
STAN WAWRINKA: I think the next big meeting is going to be around Indian Wells anyway. That's where it all going to happen. At the end of the day, that's why there's a board and a council. It's for them to decide what's happening.

About Justin, as long as, like all the other players said, he's not guilty, so as long as he doesn't get to the courts yet, it's tough to say something.

to je transkript uzet odavde: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=146791

Video (na 4:04 je o Gimelstobu):

Edited by wwww
  • Like 1

• zoe Bg locked this topic
  • zoe Bg unlocked this topic