Alpha Tauri AT02 2021

Radoye

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AlphaTauri rookie Tsunoda, who has been testing during the off season using the 2018 Honda-powered Toro Rosso as well as the 2020 AlphaTauri, said he could feel the manufacturer had made significant gains:

"I think Honda made quite a good step compared to previous engines from previous years. Especially the performance side for the qualifying lap. I feel gains, especially in the top speed so that’s positive.

"But also on the other side, there’s problems with the off-throttle shifting and also a bit of issues with consistency. But definitely gave us gains for the power so for Honda a really good, positive day."

• 1 month later...

Yuki Tsunoda suggested he may not have the same equipment as teammate Pierre Gasly after dropping out in Q1 at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The Japanese rookie impressed in his opening race in Bahrain but a crash in qualifying in Imola left him on the back foot and he spun having climbed back into the points. After another tough weekend in Portugal, Tsunoda was eliminated in Q1 in Spain after dipping a wheel in the gravel on his final attempt, but was left questioning his car’s performance after seeing Gasly advance in fifth place.

“No, I was not pushing too hard on the out-lap — just did normal and the tire temperature was quite spot-on before the lap,” Tsunoda said. “I just feel from my side like the other car is really slow compared to my car, especially the out-lap. I don’t know why they’re slow, I think most of the cars are slower than me.

“But my team, we set up the tire to be faster, I don’t know … it’s not the place I want to fight. The performance in this car is easy to get through to Q2 but I really struggled to even get through to Q2.

“I don’t know (what’s going on). Like I said, it’s always different feedback compared to my teammate. Every time it’s opposite, so I have a little bit of a question mark if it’s the same car… the character of the car is too different. Maybe of course it’s just the driving style, but I don’t know what’s happened and why I’m struggling this much.”

Gasly was fifth in Q1 — splitting the two Red Bull cars — and 0.36s faster than his teammate, but eventually dropped out in Q2 and will start from 12th, four positions ahead of Tsunoda.

Rano si poceo srati derane...

Stigle i packe:

Yuki Tsunoda has apologised to his AlphaTauri team after suggesting differences between the team’s cars could be to blame for his qualifying performance.

The rookie was heard exclaiming on the radio in frustration after missing the cut at the end of the first stage of qualifying yesterday.

Speaking while the session continued, Tsunoda repeated recent comments about him and team mate Pierre Gasly giving different feedback about the cars, and elaborated on his concerns.

“It’s always different feedback compared to my team mate,” said Tsunoda. “Every time opposite.

“So I have a little bit of a question mark if it’s the same car. Of course it’s the same car but the character of the car is too different.

“Maybe, of course, it’s just the driving style. I don’t know what’s happened, why I’m struggling this much.”

He added it should be “easy to go to Q2” in their car but “I really struggled to even go to Q2.”

Tsunoda retracted his remarks in a social media post on Saturday evening.

“I am very fortunate to have a group of such talented and hardworking people working on my car and wanted to apologise to the team for my comments today,” he said.

“I couldn’t maximise the potential of the car and was frustrated with myself. I will analyse the data with my engineers and make sure to improve for tomorrow.”