Klasika

Borko

Maserati-8CTF-vincitrice-alla-500-Miglia

Bojl Spesl Maserati 8CTF u kojem je Vilbur So pobedio na Indi 500 1939. i 1940. sto je bila prva dvostruka uzastopna pobeda - jos uvek niko nije pobedio triput uzastopce, jedna od cuvenih "kletvi Indija". Najblizi trostrukoj pobedi bio je Bil Vukovic koji je nakon pobeda 1953. i 1954. dominirao u trci 1955. da bi naleteo na udes medju zaostalim vocacima i smrtno stradao.

Maseratijev 8CTF je dizajniran za evropsku Granpri sezonu 1938. u nadi da ce preoteti primat od nemackih "Srebrnih Strela". Trolitarski osmocilindricni redni motor sa dva mehanicka kompresora daje nekih 360 KS pri 6300 o/min ovaj bolid je plod masivnog ulaganja industrijalca Adolfa Orsija koji nije stedeo novac u zelji da osvoji evropski sampionat za Italiju. Iako novac nije bio problem vreme jeste, pa je za bazu novog motora uzet vec postojeci cetvorocilindricni jednoipolitarski motor tadasnje "F2" Voaturet klase - spajanjem dva motora na zajednicko vratilo i uz novodizajniranu integralnu glavu dobijen je trolitarski osmocilindricni motor. U poredjenju sa tehnickom sofistikacijom nemackih timova ovo je bilo prilicno primitivno resenje ali u isto vreme i efektno, jer je dobijeni bolid bio opako brz sto je demonstrirano vec na prvom izlasku na stazu na VN Tripolija gde je grof Trosi oborio rekord staze i ubedljivo vodio u prvih 9 krugova pre nego sto je otkazao menjac.

Kazu da se po jutru dan poznaje - i u ovom slucaju to je bila istina, jer se ova prica ponavljala iz trke u trku. Maseratiji bi poleteli na startu, napravili veliku prednost, i onda jedan po jedan poispadali zbog tehnickih problema prepustivsi pobede vozacima Mercedesa i Auto-Uniona.

1939. nekoliko ovih masina je naslo put do SAD gde su se pokazali mnogo uspesnije, ovaj primerak na slici najuspesniji od svih - pored dva osvojena Indija sa Vilburom Soom za volanom, na Indiju 1940. ovakve Maseratije su vozili i Rene Drajfus i Rene Le Beg (Drajfusov se pokvario pa su on i Le Beg podelili preostali bolid i uzeli 10. mesto), kasnije su njihovi bolidi par puta izmenjali vlasnike - 1941. u jednom od njih startuje Djuk Nelon (zavrsava 17.), Vilbur So ispada zbog udesa a Mori Rouz zbog kvara. Usledila je pauza zbog rata, a 1946. se u dva Maseratija za Indi kvalifikuju Nelon i Ras Snouberger, obojica odustaju zbog kvarova. Nakon ovoga jedan od bolida kupuje Luis Anser rodonacelnik cuvene trkacke dinastije Ansera i s njim pobedjuje na legendarnom brdu Pajks Pik 1946. i 1947.

Jedan od "americkih" Maseratija je kasnije dobio Ofenhauzerov motor i tako nastavio da se takmici sve do kraja 1950-tih godina, skoro celih 20 godina...

• Like 3

John Hogan 1943 – 2021

Posted on January 4, 2021 by Joe Saward

John Hogan, one of the most important players in Formula 1 history, has died of complications from the COVID-19 virus. He was 77.

For more than 30 years Hogan maintained the lowest profile but yielded enormous power, making the reclusive Paddy McNally, a former Hogan employee, look like a drum-beating self-publicist. He was rarely found in glossy magazine lists of influential people in F1 but should have been in the top five, alongside with Elf’s Francois Guiter. They – and Bernie Ecclestone – were the men who brought F1 the money it needed to grow into the huge business it is today.

“Hogie”, as he is known in the business, was born in Australia and first became interested in motorsport at the age of six, thanks to racing movies in the cinema. His father was in the Australian army and when he was posted to Singapore, John was shipped off to a boarding school in England. One of his school friends was a boy called Malcolm Taylor, whose father was a publican near Liverpool and, in 1964, the two old schoolfriends went to see the Aintree 200, an F1-F2 race which was won by Australian Jack Brabham, a day which fuelled Hogan’s passion for the sport. Taylor later became Malcolm McDowell, the celebrated film actor.

Hogan was then a trainee with the Nestlé advertising department in London before working with various London agencies on accounts such as Procter & Gamble and General Foods before moving to Erwin Wasey where he ran the Coca-Cola account. Through another London-based Australian, Tim Schenken, he got to know a lot of motor racing folk and realised that the sport had huge potential for global sponsors. At the time, it was still very novel but Hogan helped to fund several youngsters, providing Coca-Cola sponsorship for rising Scottish star Gerry Birrell in Formula 2 and provide some money for a young James Hunt. In his spare time, Hogan took on the role of marketing manager of Rondel Racing, helping former Brabham mechanics Ron Dennis and Neil Trundle to raise money. Unfortunately, it was not a good time to do that as the Oil Crisis had just hit and there was little sponsorship available.

At the end of 1973, Hogan decided to leave Erwin Wasey and move to Switzerland to work as promotions coordinator for Philip Morris’s Marlboro cigarette brand, which had started sponsoring BRM in F1 in 1972. It was clear to Hogan that the BRM deal was not going anywhere and so in 1973 extra money was found to support Frank Williams, who ran the Iso-Marlboro team. Neither team was a success and so in 1974, Hogan decided to move the Marlboro budget to McLaren for Emerson Fittipaldi. The team won the World Championship that year. In 1975, Ferrari dominated and McLaren was caught out when Fittipaldi decided to quit at the end of the year and went to join his brother’s Fittipaldi Automotive. Hogan played a key role in getting James Hunt into the drive and in 1976 the Englishman won the title.

It was the year that Formula 1 really took off as a television sport. Marlboro recognised the value of this and poured more and more money into F1. In 1977, Hogan helped to get Gilles Villeneuve into a McLaren for his F1 debut, but the team decided not to go with the French-Canadian in 1978 and so Hogan helped to put Villeneuve into a Ferrari beginning a relationship between the Italian team and the tobacco company that continues to this day. This would expand quietly over the years, until first Marlboro was paying the Ferrari drivers’ salaries and then it became the team’s title sponsor.

By 1980, McLaren’s fortunes were waning and Hogan decided things needed to change and forced the team bosses to accept a partnership with Formula 2 team boss Dennis, in what would become known as McLaren International. This was a huge success and a string of World Championships followed with Niki Lauda, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. When in 1981 Niki Lauda decided that he wanted to make his F1 comeback he did not go to see Bernie Ecclestone. He went to Hogan. This led to McLaren’s famous 1988 season when Prost and Senna won 15 of the 16 World Championship races, a stunning record. Hogan also funded the Marlboro World Championship team, which oversaw the careers of dozens of young drivers, notably Mika Hakkinen, Eddie Irvine and Alex Zanardi. It also led to Marlboro funding Roger Penske’s efforts in IndyCar and to an involvement in motorcycle racing.

Hogan’s ambition remained to get the brand as the title sponsor of Ferrari but it was not until McLaren’s downturn in fortunes in the mid-1990s that the Marlboro budget was switched to Ferrari. By then Hogan was Vice President of Marketing for Philip Morris and was a key player on the Formula 1 Commission. He would remain in these roles until he retired in 2002 and was then briefly involved with Jaguar Racing as sporting director, before settling back into a consulting role, keeping a low profile, as always. For some years he worked with Zak Brown at Just Marketing, becoming the American’s mentor.

andrettisoswego1967.jpg

USAC sprintkar trka na Osvegu 1967 - braca blizanci Mario i Aldo Andreti.

a8fc044f2107aed21251f485ea7de9dd.jpg

Promo fotka - prvi red za start Indi 500 1969. Na polu #6 EjDzej Fojt, u sredini #2 Mario Andreti, spolja #1 Bobi Anser.

Kuriozitet je da Mario Andreti zapravo nije na slici. Mario je bio povredjen tokom Meseca Maja kad je slupao svoj glavni bolid i zadobio opekotine po licu pa se umesto njega slikao Aldo. Mario je kvalifikovao rezervni bolid na drugu poziciju i osvojio pobedu - jedinu do sada za Andreti klan na Indiju.

Edited by Radoye

Three-Time Indianapolis 500-Winning Team Owner Patrick Dies at 91

January 06, 2021 | By Paul Kelly, Indianapolis Motor Speedway

U.E. “Pat” Patrick, who won the Indianapolis 500 three times as a team owner, died Jan. 5 in Phoenix after a long illness. He was 91.

Patrick’s team, Patrick Racing, fielded race-winning Indianapolis 500 entries for Gordon Johncock in 1973 and 1982 and Emerson Fittipaldi in 1989. Patrick entered cars regularly in “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” from 1970-95, with one final entry in 2004. He is one of just seven team owners with three or more Indianapolis 500 victories.

Kentucky native Patrick was inducted into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame in 2016 and the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 2018.

Patrick began his professional career in accounting but then formed an independent oil company, Patrick Petroleum Co., in 1963 in Michigan after successful drilling efforts in the area. His “wildcatter” efforts to strike oil later were reflected in the name of the chassis his team built, Wildcat.

Patrick’s entry into Indy car racing came through sponsorship of fellow oilman Walt Michner’s team in the late 1960s. Patrick formed his team in 1970, and Johnny Rutherford qualified second in the No. 18 Patrick Petroleum Eagle/Offy in the team’s Indianapolis 500 debut.

The team’s first Indy victory came three years later when Johncock captured the rain-shortened 1973 Indianapolis 500 in the No. 20 STP Double Oil Filter Eagle/Offy. Johncock put Patrick Racing back into Victory Lane at Indianapolis in 1982 after winning a breathtaking duel over the closing laps with Rick Mears, edging Mears at the finish by a then-race record margin of just .16 of a second in the No. 20 STP Oil Treatment Wildcat/Cosworth.

Patrick’s third victory came in 1989, when two-time Formula One World Champion Fittipaldi earned the first of his two “500” victories, this time driving the No. 20 Marlboro Penske/Chevrolet Indy that was co-owned by Chip Ganassi.

Drivers for Patrick Racing also claimed two national championships, with Johncock taking USAC honors in 1976 and Fittipaldi winning the CART title in 1989.

Patrick’s team also was the home of two of open-wheel racing’s most legendary crew chiefs. George Bignotti ran Patrick Racing during the mid- and late 1970s, with Jim McGee taking the reins in the 1980s.

The entrepreneurial, colorful Patrick also was instrumental in the founding of two major North American racing series during the late 1970s and mid-1980s, Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) and Indy Lights.

Patrick is survived by three sons and one daughter.

Tony Vlassopulos 1931 -2021

Posted on January 9, 2021 by Joe Saward

Tony Vlassopulos has died at the age of 89. He was the son of a Greek ship owner, his father John and uncle Nick – who grew up in Ithaca, Greece, before moving to Britain – established a number of shipping companies, including the Ulysses and Dolphin cruise lines, in addition to owning oil and freight vessels.

Tony studied and practiced law, and married the daughter of an English baron. He was a passionate racing fan, commentating at Goodwood in his spare time. He was also a part-time ship broker with his Ippokampus marine equipment company. He owned a large yacht, which had been acquired from the actor Peter Sellers and was moored on the Cote d’Azur.

He was introduced to a young Ron Dennis by John Phelps, who ran Phelps Limited, a four-storey antiques and fine furniture business in St Margarets Road in Twickenham. Vlassopulos was one of Phelps’s customers and Dennis was John’s daughter’s boyfriend.

Dennis and the Australian driver Tim Schenken met Vlassapulos and proposed that he support the Rondel team, which Dennis had formed with fellow ex-Brabham mechanic Neil Trundle. Vlassapulos was impressed and agreed to help Ron, in league with Ken Grob, a friend who was chairman on an insurance company in London. A bad road accident forced Dennis into a managerial role, but the ambitious youngster was soon planning to build his own racing cars.

The Rondel Formula 2 team impressed with Brabham chassis for Schenken and Graham Hill in 1971 and the French oil company Motul agreed to provide funding in 1972 when the team ran Carlos Reutemann and Motul protege Bob Wollek, with Henri Pescarolo joining them on occasion. Ray Jessop was commissioned to design a F2 car for the 1973 season, to be called a Motul after the sponsor.

At the same time Vlassopulos also backed a Formula 3 team called Ippokampos Racing, running another Australian rising star “Buzz” Buzaglo and Johnny Gerber.

During 1973 Rondel enjoyed success in Formula 2 with Schenken, Wollek and Pescarolo, while also running rising stars Jody Scheckter and Tom Pryce and Motul favourite Jean-Pierre Jaussaud. The team commissioned Jessop to design a Motul F1 car for 1974 but when the oil crisis hot at the end of the year Motul cut back and Rondel went out of business.

Dennis departed but Vlassopulos and Grob acquired the F1 design and started a new operation called Token F1. The car was raced in Belgium by Pryce but after he was refused an entry for Monaco, Vlassopulos switched him into Formula 3 and he won the event in an Ippokampus March 743, which led to Pryce joining the Shadow F1 team. Token reappeared in Britain with David Purley and then in Germany and Austria with Ian Ashley. At the end of the year the team was sold, although Vlassopulos would sponsor James Hunt’s Hesketh in some races in 1975 before he dropped out of racing.

Edited by Radoye

76210791a7b103b0e7d113145d5af9a3.jpg

VN Francuske 1956 na Remsu, boks Skuderije Ferari i njihove Lance D50, ukupno 5 komada:

#10 Huanmanuel Fandjo (pol pozicija, cetvrti u trci)

#12 Eugenio Kasteloti (drugi na startu i na trci - njegov poslednji podijum u F1 bolidu bilo u trkama za sampionat ili na nezvanicnim)

#14 Piter Kolins (treci na startu, pobednik trke)

#16 Alfonso de Portago (deveti na startu, odustao)

#44 Olivije Zandebjan (jedanaesti na startu, odustao)

(na trecem mestu je zavrsio Zan Bera u Maseratiju)

Kolins ovom pobedom izbija na vodece mesto u sampionatu.

Trku je obelezilo smenjivanje tri Ferarijeve Lance u vodjstvu da bi im se ubrzo prikljucio Hari Sel u Vonvolu. Sel otpada zbog kvara u 38. krugu a Fandjo biva prinudjen da boksuje. Vodjstvo nasledjuje Kasteloti koji do samog kraja vodi veliku borbu sa kolinsom koji ga prestize i njig dvojica prolaze kroz cilj u 0,3 sekunde izmedju njih. Fandjo u medjuvremenu pokusava da spase sta se spasti moze i obara rekord staze u pokusaju da se vrati na podijum ali ne uspeva da sustigne Beru.

Jos jedan kuriozitet ove trke je i labudova pesma Bugatija - Moris Trintinjan vozi Bugati T251 i odustaje u 18. krugu. Bugati se vise nije pojavljivao na granpri trkama nakon ovoga.

• Like 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqUdc-wAjKXtTthrHe8JO

12h Sebringa 1956, Feraristi (s leva na desno) Huanmanuel Fandjo, Luidji Muso, Eugenio Kasteloti, Hari Sel i Alfonso de Portago.

Fandjo i Kasteloti su pobedili u Ferariju 860 Monca #17, Muso i Sel su bili drugi u istom takvom #18 dok je de Portago sa suvozacem Dzimom Kimberlijem u Ferariju 857S #19 odustao zbog kvara.

Trece mesto osvojili su Bob Svikert i Dzek Ensli u privatnom Jaguaru D-tip.

Edited by Radoye

Peterhansel leads tributes after death of Dakar legend Hubert Auriol

Issued on: 10/01/2021 - 19:30

Modified: 10/01/2021 - 19:28

Sakaka (Saudi Arabia) (AFP) - Stephane Peterhansel led the tributes to Dakar Rally legend Hubert Auriol after the death on Sunday of the first person to win the race in car and on bike.

Peterhansel honoured Auriol after the seventh stage of this year's rally, which the Frenchman leads in the car category as he chases his 14th Dakar title.

News of the death of the man nicknamed 'The African', aged 68 and after a long battle with heart disease, filtered through during Sunday's stage.

"If I am here on this rally it is thanks to what I saw, to what Hubert was doing," said Peterhansel, who is nicknamed 'Mr Dakar'.

"For me he has always been a model of class and intelligence."

Born in Addis Ababa, Auriol was one of the iconic faces of the Dakar Rally when the race was in its infancy and still being raced in Africa.

He won the race, then known as Paris-Dakar, on a motorbike in 1981 and 1983 before making the switch to cars and winning it in 1992 to become the first to win in both categories.

One of his most memorable races however came in 1987, when he lost to great rival and fellow Frenchman Cyril Neveu after breaking both ankles on the penultimate stage.

He went on to manage the rally between 1995 and 2004, when Peterhansel emulated his hero by claiming the first of his seven wins in the car category after having taken the honours six times in the motorcycle class.

"He was a great man, always smiling even in the toughest moments," added Peterhansel. "It's a really sad day for the world of rally raid, it's sad for the Dakar race."

Current Dakar Rally director David Castera, a former competitor, said that Auriol's death "has come as a bit of a shock".

"He was the one who showed me how it's done in the 80s," said Castera.

"I followed what he was doing -- my father was his mechanic -- so I'm having trouble expressing how I feel today. He inspired me."

Jurgen Hubert 1939-2021

Posted on January 15, 2021 by Joe Saward

Jurgen Hubbert has died, at the age of 81. He played an important role in coaxing the Stuttgart car firm back into motorsport.

Mercedes has quit the sport after the Le Mans disaster in 1955 and showed no real interest in returning, fearful of reviving the painful memories. Hubbert watched racing at Solitude in the 1960s, he was not a racing enthusiast. He joined Mercedes in the late 1960s and moved up in the company to become head of strategy by the mid-1980s.

At the time Sauber had decided to use a modified Mercedes road car engine to power its Group C sports cars. The Mercedes factory was not involved and Sauber had to go to Heini Mader to ask for the engine to be updated. Mader added two KKK turbochargers and the resulting engine was fitted into the old C7 chassis, although the car was called the C8. Sauber then asked Mercedes-Benz if he could run the car is a Mercedes wind tunnel and this sparked interest in Stuttgart, although the company under CEO Werner Breitshwerdt was not interested in going racing. Hubbert realised that the sport was a brilliant way to market Mercedes and promote the brand, because he believed that the diversification of the company was shifting focus away from the road cars and that the company was suffering as a result.

Breitshwerdt retired in 1987 and control of Mercedes was taken over by Werner Niefer, who decided to adopt a more aggressive policy. That year Sauber had managed to secure sponsorship from the Yves Saint Laurent company, which was promoting its Kouros fragrance, although Hubbert was providing some funding. The results were not great, but at the end of the year Hubbert had convinced Niefer that motorsport was a good strategic policy and so it was announced that Mercedes-Benz would open a competition department to look after Sauber and various teams running Mercedes 190Es in Group A touring car racing. This would be headed by the racing journalist Norbert Haug.

The Sauber team name was changed to Sauber Mercedes and sponsorship was found from AEG, a Daimler-owned appliance company. The team finished second in the Sports Car World Championship in 1988 and in 1989 the cars were painted silver and the team won the title and scored a 1-2 finish in the Le Mans 24 Hours. The 1990 season was another success and so preparations began for Sauber and Mercedes to enter F1 together. Harvey Postlethwaite was hired as technical director and Mercedes funded the construction of a new factory for Sauber in Hinwil, but at the end of 1991 Niefer decided to put the project on hold because of the economic situation. This left Sauber to go it alone in F1 in its debut season in 1993, although Mercedes continued to provide some funding on an unofficial basis, with Ilmor providing V10 engines. That summer Niefer died and was replaced as head of Mercedes by Helmut Werner. He decided that for 1994 the engines would be badged Mercedes and the team became Sauber Mercedes. The season was nothing special and McLaren, which was struggling with Peugeot engines, approached Mercedes about using its engines in 1995. A deal was struck.

That year Werner and Jurgen Schrempp fought to succeed Edzard Reuter as CEO of the Daimler Benz company, with the latter winning. But when Werner opposed Schrempp’s strategy of merging with Chrysler he was replaced as head of Mercedes-Benz by Hubbert. He would remain in charge of the firm until 2004. In addition to pushing for motorsport he expanded the model range to include new premium models, including the M-Class and CLK, plus the A-Class and the Smart. The relationship with McLaren developed slowly and the partners did not win a race until 1997, but then in 1998 and 1999 Mika Hakkinen won two titles and the team remained competitive for many years. Hubbert remained in his role while also becoming head of the Grand Prix World Championship organisation, which was a negotiating ploy by the manufacturers to establish their own Grand Prix series from 2008 in competition Bernie Ecclestone. In the end a deal was struck and peace returned.

Hubbert retired in 2004 but continued to attend races from time to time for years afterwards, including the third McLaren-Mercedes World Championship title in 2008.

“Jurgen Hubbert was Mister Mercedes,” said Ola Källenius, chairman of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG. “With integrity, innovative spirit and great success, he shaped Mercedes-Benz forever. Under his responsibility, a historic product offensive was launched with groundbreaking vehicles such as the A- and M-Class. As a leader, he was able to integrate and motivate his teams with a passion for technology and the highest standards for himself. He is forever assured of the appreciation of the entire Mercedes family. We mourn a great personality and a great person.”

Plakat za prvu VN Spanije, Sitges-Teramar 1923.:

9627d7c6964693ce70b65a208198867b.jpg

Staza i dalje postoji iako odavno nije u upotrebi - ova trka iz 1923. je prvi i poslednji put da se nesto veliko tu organizovalo, mada su se lokalne moto trke vozile do 1950. Danas ona izgleda ovako:

73cac530290117e881277c0d7cd87137.png

• Like 1