IndyCar 2020

Radoye

Penske Unveils Wide-Ranging Plan to Enhance Month of May, IMS

Record Purse, Qualifying Changes, New Sponsors, Facility Improvements Set for May 2020

INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, Feb. 14, 2020 - A wide-ranging, multifaceted plan to boost and strengthen the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was unveiled today featuring significant improvements and financial investment that will resonate with fans from Central Indiana and throughout the globe.

The goal of the plan is to produce a legendary Month of May. Enhancements revealed exactly 100 days from the 104th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 24 include:

- The largest purse in Indianapolis 500 history
- Improvements to the Indianapolis 500 qualifying format and television schedule
- New sponsors investing long term in the "500," IMS and NTT INDYCAR SERIES
- A multimillion-dollar investment in the fan experience at IMS

Since Jan. 6, following the change in ownership, the IMS team moved quickly to implement significant upgrades to the GMR Grand Prix, Indianapolis 500 and the Big Machine Vodka 400 during Fourth of July weekend.

"This is the Racing Capital of the World," Roger Penske said. "It is on par with some of the most historic sporting institutions in this nation and across the globe, from Churchill Downs to Augusta National. Today, we're announcing a meaningful investment in our fan experience that will produce rapid results. It's part of a long-term plan to ensure the legendary status of the Speedway continues to grow and evolve for generations to come.

"I am very excited about the enhancements to qualifying weekend, the largest-ever '500' purse, new sponsors and the significant investments we are making to the INDYCAR SERIES and to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."

Indianapolis 500 Purse
The event purse for the 104th Indianapolis 500 will be the largest in the history of the event. The purse will grow by $2 million to more than $15 million, boosting the prize pool for NTT INDYCAR SERIES teams and drivers.

Indianapolis 500 Qualifying
Qualifying weekend for the 104th Indianapolis 500 - Saturday, May 16 and Sunday, May 17 - will feature a variety of changes to its format and broadcast to create even more memories and drama.

Multiple attempts will return to the Last Row Shootout, expanding it to 75 minutes. Previous versions of the Shootout featured one attempt per car. While fans enjoyed that format, feedback indicated they wanted even more drama as drivers try to seize one of the three final spots in the field.

A boost in turbocharger level will see speeds climb this year during the Indy 500 qualifying sessions. Turbocharger boost will increase horsepower by 45 HP this year.

An expanded weekend TV schedule will ensure NBC televises coverage of qualifications on both Saturday and Sunday, with total network exposure increasing over 2019. Full weekend broadcast details will be released soon.

New Sponsors
The NTT INDYCAR SERIES and IMS will add six new major sponsors in 2020. Pennzoil, Verizon, Snap-on Tools, DEX Imaging, Road & Track magazine and Global Medical Response will make significant investments in the racing series and Speedway.

Multimillion-Dollar Fan Experience Investment
The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 in 2016 saw large investments made to the Speedway. Beginning with this year's GMR Grand Prix, fans will experience many new upgrades to IMS. These enhancements are all projects that will be finished before gates open, with several additional opportunities under consideration for future seasons.

Technology upgrades are a major component of this plan. More than 30 additional large-screen video boards will be added, including 24 along the Paddock seating. The Paddock screens will bring race action and vital information to an additional 25,000 fans. In addition, all seven large infield big-screen monitors will receive a running order addition.

Another exciting addition is the IMS Media Wall. This video board, measuring 100 feet wide by 20 feet tall, will be installed at the base of the Pagoda facing the Pagoda Plaza as a cornerstone of a plan to transform the popular gathering area for fans. It will also provide data-driven race insights to fans from NTT.

Verizon and their 5G Ultra Wideband network will transform the iconic Speedway into a first of its kind technology-led entertainment complex. IMS will be the first motorsports facility with commercial 5G service that will enhance both the consumer experience and track operations.

Infrastructure improvements will be noticeable inside and outside of the fabled, 110-year-old facility.

Pedestrian traffic on Georgetown Road will be widened by two lanes to make ingress and egress easier for more than half of the venue's Race Day customers.

More than 125 restrooms are being renovated inside IMS. New pavement will be added to the Parcel B lot near the IMS Main Gate to improve the parking experience and create a cleaner look for the "front door" of the facility. Approximately 3 miles of fencing will be added to the entire grounds.

The winning driver and team of the Indianapolis 500, Grand Prix and Brickyard 400 will receive higher honors, as the winner's car will be elevated to the same level as the Victory Podium after each race. This will give fans a better vantage point for pictures and social media sharing of the most prestigious Victory Lane in global motorsports.

The atmosphere of the massive facility also will be enhanced through detail-oriented improvements throughout IMS.

Night light signage will be installed over Gates 1 and 2, while IMS will assume responsibility for the beautification project along Crawfordsville Road. Fans will notice fresh paint and new signage on more than 50 concession stands inside IMS, picnic tables added throughout the grounds for more gathering space for families and friends, and the placement of more than 230 racing-themed flags around the facility and Crawfordsville Road.

All aspects of this fan experience investment plan are underway and will be completed before IMS gates open for the Month of May on Friday, May 8.

Tickets are on sale now at IMS.com and the IMS Ticket Office for the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge, GMR Grand Prix, Big Machine Vodka 400 and all other activities at IMS.

Former IndyCar driver Robbie Buhl and business partner Robert Citrone have announced their intent to field a new NTT IndyCar Series team.

Citrone/Buhl Autosport will debut in May at the Indianapolis Grand Prix, attempt to qualify for the Indy 500, and do so in partnership with an existing team. The identity of the team’s driver also awaits confirmation.

When Fernando Alonso’s plan to run Indianapolis with Michael Andretti fell through last month, the two-time F1 champion turned to his business partner and friend of the past few years and made a deal. That’s how Alonso ended up at Arrow McLaren SP for the month of May.

“Clearly, Fernando was deep in conversations with Michael,” said Zak Brown, the CEO of McLaren Racing who was Alonso’s boss in his most recent run in F1, and brought him to IMS twice. “If you are Fernando Alonso and you want to win Indianapolis, then Andretti is on your short list. We had a strong desire to run him too.

“He didn’t want to make a decision until after the Dakar Rally, but he had two good opportunities. We kept him informed of our off-season moves like securing (engineer) Craig Hampson, and when he was ready to make his decision, he chose to move forward with us.”

Ruoff Mortgage, which sponsored Takuma Sato when he won Indy in 2017 for Andretti, is going to sponsor Colton Herta in a half dozen races for Andretti in 2020 and was negotiating with Michael to back Alonso this May.

“Michael is a good friend of mine, we’re partners in Australia (Supercars), and I knew he was talking to Ruoff Mortgage,” said Brown, who also had a personal services deal with Alonso that ended earlier this year. “But when he and Fernando couldn’t put a deal together, Ruoff asked Michael if they could go with us, and he gave his blessing. So we cut a deal with Ruoff to sponsor Fernando at Indianapolis.”

Alonso’s third attempt to win Indy will be much different than 2017, when he was surrounded by veterans like Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti, or last year, when he was all by himself on McLaren’s ill-fated one-off effort that ended in a DNQ. This time the 38-year-old Spaniard will be the sounding board for rookies Oliver Askew and Pato O’Ward while getting up to speed with one of the best engineers in the IndyCar paddock.

“We’ve always wanted to run a third car at Indianapolis, Craig will be his engineer and we’re going to throw everything at this,” said Sam Schmidt, co-owner with Ric Peterson. “We’ve got two exciting rookies, and being around Fernando will elevate their game. They’ll be able to tap into his experience.”

Added Brown: “A three-car team is better than one or two, and I think it takes a little bit of pressure off our rookies. They’re excited to race alongside him; they’re Fernando fans.

“We’ve got a good long history with Fernando, and I’m glad we could to put it together.”

Alonso supposedly had talked to Andretti about running more than Indy, but Brown said that his Arrow McLaren SP deal is currently only for one race.

“Right now he’s going to be laser-focused on the Indy 500,” Brown said. “The door is open, but no plans [for] racing beyond Indy at this point.”

Schmidt added: “We talked about the Indy GP in preparatory fashion, but we need to find funding. So right now the plan is to run April 30 Open Test at the Speedway.”

As rookie of the year in 2017 after qualifying fifth, leading 27 laps and running in the lead pack until blowing his engine late, Alonso looked like a natural on his first oval. Then he never turned a lap in 2019 after missing the show.

“Alonso needs to be in the Indy 500 and have the opportunity to win,” said Schmidt. “Now with Chevy, we feel like we can get it done.”

MILLER: Are you ready for Fast Freddie?

dsf2467-1-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Robin Miller | 8 hours ago

Walking towards Gasoline Alley last May after McLaren’s meltdown and trying to imagine the shock around the racing world to hear that Fernando Alonso was headed home, I came upon two fans that couldn’t contain their joy: “I’m glad Alonso missed the show,” said one. “Yeah, Indy doesn’t need him,” added his friend.

Now, I get that a lot of people were highly entertained by the bumping process when Kyle Kaiser and Ricardo Juncos’ tiny team ousted mighty McLaren and the two-time Formula 1 champion — it was a dramatic moment that made for a great story. And it was a reminder of the fact money and reputation are not always successful at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

But, get a grip folks. It wasn’t good for the Indianapolis 500 not to have Alonso in the field. Hell no. In this day when true superstars in motorsports are few and far between, the 38-year-old Spaniard commands an international audience and a star power like Brabham, Clark, Stewart, Hill and Rindt in the 1960s, Fittipaldi in the 1970s and ’80s, and Mansell in the ’90s. His presence is worth millions of television viewers and still draws the universal respect of the written word. Last year prior to an F1 race Jackie Stewart told my pal Nigel Roebuck: “It’s such a pity that the most complete driver in the world isn’t even in it.”

Alonso is a world class racer who raises Indy’s profile and, for my money, he’s also a first class competitor who instantly embraced Indy’s traditions and handled the 2019 gut shot here with poise and grace rarely seen in today’s generation. That’s why I’m thrilled he’s coming back to the Speedway with a decent chance in his third appearance and can’t wait to see how he meshes with engineer extraordinaire Craig Hampson at Arrow McLaren SP.

But, as much as his talent should be valued, it’s his attitude and personality that make him such a welcome face at 16th & Georgetown.

“The Indy 500 is on top of all the events I’ve ever participated in,” Alonso admitted to NBC’s Leigh Diffey last week. “The atmosphere, the adrenaline, even the milk that arrives on Sunday morning, you understand the importance of the moment.

“The fans are amazing, the show is unbelievable and the speed is quite different on an oval. Once you experience the Indy 500 it will remain always in your heart.”

dcc1730jy476.jpg?w=1000&h=643

Alonso’s unique approach generates strong opinions among fans. Image by LAT

Some critics like to portray Alonso as a heartless mercenary who only cares about money, isn’t a good teammate and throws a bad car or engine under the bus without a wisp of regret. Of course that description fits a number of American stars back in the day and maybe it’s accurate. Alonso said in his teleconference last week that he didn’t think Honda of Japan had a problem with him and everyone — including Michael Andretti, whose deal with Fernando fell through at the last minute — is playing nice about the Japanese manufacturer.

I don’t care if everybody lied and that Japan is still acting pissy because I understand the frustration Alonso experienced in his final F1 years with McLaren and criticism has always been part of racing’s landscape. But last May was the most opportune time of all for Fernando to throw down on his team and he refused. The unprepared fire drill that left him outside looking in was ripe for a blistering critique but he faced the music and handled the humiliation with dignity instead of darts.

He also showed a true understanding of what he was up against early in practice. He laughed and gave me the green light when I had asked him if it was OK to call him Fred on television since it gave him an American ring. So Borg-Warner’s Steve Shunck made up some decals that said: “Fast Freddie” and we passed them out. But Alonso motioned me over to the corner and said: “Maybe we should wait before putting these on. I don’t feel very fast yet.”

Two years removed from qualifying fifth, leading 27 laps, handling traffic like a 10-year oval-track veteran and having a real chance to add Indy to his resplendent resume, Alonso got a rude reality check and didn’t qualify through no fault of his own. But he said it made him more determined than ever to come back in 2020.

1017508588-lat-20190517-lat_miller_2019_

Alonso took his 2019 lumps at Indy with dignity, and hopes the experience will make him stronger this year. Image by LAT

“Last year was a hard one for everyone but maybe it was a necessity to become better and stronger this year to have a shot,” he said. “Even if it’s the third attempt, it feels like the first one, and you feel the month of May is going to be important once more for your career.

“Before, during and after that race is just magic.”

Now, if I’m IMS and IndyCar, you take that last quote and make it your marketing and promotional lead on every billboard, magazine ad, newspaper buy and national TV/radio spot from now until May.

One of the best, most versatile and decorated racers of the past 25 years seems to love everything about the Indianapolis 500 and we should all cherish his enthusiasm and participation.

And be glad he’s got a chance to stick on that decal.

img_2003-copy.jpg?w=1000&h=750

Testiranje na Sebringu juce, najbrzi Felipe Nasr:

Ex-Sauber Formula 1 driver and current Action Express Racing IMSA pilot Felipe Nasr, who tested for Carlin Racing last month during IndyCar Spring Training, made a last-minute sprint to Sebring on Monday to drive the No. 31 Chevy. After the wild journey was complete, Nasr rewarded the team with the fastest lap of the 15 drivers in attendance.

After receiving the call to test late Sunday, Nasr’s impromptu travel plans meant scrambling to reach Sebring, but by the time he arrived, the entire morning session had been missed. If his trip had started Monday morning in Miami, the tardiness would have been hard to excuse, but considering that Nasr flew all night from his native Brazil to reach the famed road course, the 27-year-old’s resolve and ensuing pace made for a remarkable story.

“Twenty-four hours ago, I was with my family in Brazil having a barbeque,” he told RACER. “Then Trevor Carlin called and said he wanted me to be in the car, so I looked for a flight, but there were no flights right away. I tried to use all my air miles to get something that was OK, but there was nothing, so I flew economy all the way from Brazil to Miami, didn’t sleep at all, landed, took an Uber to my home to get my car keys, made an espresso, and drove straight to Sebring this morning and missed all the morning laps.

“I got there at 12:30, had a bite of a sandwich with the mechanics, and then we were rolling at 1 and we did the fastest lap. Days like today make me happy, and it’s building momentum in a good way. But I’m completely knackered.”

The Brazilian’s sleep-deprived effort was worth it, as his 52.1361s blast around the Sebring short course in the afternoon edged Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon (+0.0381s) in the No. 9 Honda. Another pre-season surprise was directly behind, as A.J. Foyt Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais clocked a lap (+0.1189s) within striking distance of Nasr in the No. 14 Chevy.

Andretti Autosport Honda took fourth through seventh as Ryan Hunter Reay (+0.1367s), Zach Veach (+0.1383s), Alexander Rossi (+0.1664s), and Andretti affiliate Jack Harvey in the Meyer Shank Racing entry (+0.1995s) were all close together.

CGR’s Felix Rosenqvist was eighth (+0.2626s) on the sunny and pleasant day, with new teammate Marcus Ericsson behind in ninth (+0.2846s) and Andretti’s Colton Herta (+0.3333s) in 10th. All times are unofficial.

Foyt’s Charlie Kimball was 11th, with Andretti’s Marco Andretti, the Dale Coyne Racing duo of Santino Ferrucci and Alex Palou in 13th and 14th, and DragonSpeed’s Ben Hanley rounded out the runners.

Swiss F2 driver Ralph Boschung was expected to turn laps in the No. 31 Carlin, but did not venture out on Monday. It’s unclear whether he’ll strap in on Tuesday, and Nasr isn’t sure if he’ll be needed in the car, but hopes his recent testing performances earn an invitation to make his race debut in the coming weeks.

“I love racing, and when I can be here in this series, around the best guys, and get a full day in the car like I did, I can show what I can do,” Nasr said. “They are not promising me anything, and I’m not expecting anything. I’m just doing this because I love driving and want to help the Carlin team however I can. I’m here for whatever the future holds. From my side, I love where we’re at.”

Danas na poslednjem testu u Sebringu pred pocetak sezone opet Karlin najbrzi, ali ovaj put sa Maksom Ciltonom za volanom:

Thirteen NTT IndyCar Series drivers ventured out on Tuesday for a final burst of pre-season testing at Sebring International Raceway’s short course, and like Monday’s test, Carlin Racing came out on top.

This time, it was team veteran Max Chilton who led the 11 Chevy-powered drivers and the two representing Honda, as the No. 59 Carlin car sat atop the unofficial time chart for most of the day.

The Briton’s lap of 52.1126s was mirrored by Carlin testing teammate Felipe Nasr, who went fastest 24 hours earlier. The Brazilian finished the day in second (0.0624s) with the No. 31 Chevy, and close behind the Carlin duo, Ed Carpenter Racing rookie Rinus VeeKay was third (+0.0952s) in the No. 21 Chevy ahead of Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden (+0.1424s) in the No. 1 Chevy. Arrow McLaren SP’s Pato O’Ward completed the top five in the No. 5 Chevy (+0.1950s).

In sixth, Penske’s Simon Pagenaud led a second cluster of drivers who were a bit behind Chilton, as the No. 22 Chevy (+0.3075s) was followed by ECR’s Conor Daly in the No. 20 Chevy (+0.3430s), Penske’s Will Power in eighth with the No. 12 Chevy (+0.4469s), AMSP’s Oliver Askew in the No. 7 Chevy (+0.4826s), and in 10th, the first of the Hondas, represented by Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing’s Graham Rahal, was well shy of Chilton in the No. 15 entry (+0.6741s).

In 11th, A.J. Foyt Racing’s Dalton Kellett turned his best lap on the last lap (+0.9580s) in the No. 14 Chevy, RLL’s Takuma Sato was 12th in the No. 15 Honda (+1.1343s), and DragonSpeed’s Ben Hanley completed the list in the No. 81 Chevy (+1.1618s).

Sezona pocinje za vikend 15. marta ulicnom trkom u St. Pitu.

Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson will get his first run in an IndyCar next month during a test at Barber Motorsports Park. The opportunity comes via the Arrow McLaren SP team, which uses Chevrolet engines for its pair of entries for Pato O’Ward and Oliver Askew.

Through a pair of social media posts, Johnson shared photos of an AMSP Dallara DW12 at the team’s shop in Indianapolis and his plan to test at one of IndyCar’s most challenging road courses.

Johnson, who will retire from NASCAR Cup competition at the end of the season, is synonymous with the No. 48 Chevy he’s driven to seven titles for Hendrick Motorsports, and has expressed an interest in NTT IndyCar Series racing on road and street courses in 2021.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown and Johnson maintain a close friendship, with the Californians recently meeting up at Circuit of The Americas during IndyCar Spring Training where Johnson observed the test through an invitation from McLaren, and presented Brown with one of his NASCAR helmets. In 2018, he tested a McLaren F1 car as part of a ride swap with Fernando Alonso.

Sledeceg vikenda pocinje trkacka sezona Indikar sampionata za 2020. trkom na ulicno-aerodromskoj stazi u St. Pitu na Floridi!

firestoneGrandPrix_PressRelease.jpg

firestone-grand-prix-of-st-petersburg-in

Staza duzine 2,9km sa 14 krivina, prava tipicna americka ulicna, uska, dzombasta, betonski kanjon gde se svaka nepreciznost momentalno kaznjava i prva krivina koja je cesto popriste atraktivnih pokusaja preticanja koja ili zavrsavaju uspesno ili rezultuju spektakularnim udesima. Rekord staze drzi Dzordan King sa 1:00.0476 postavljen 2018. a trka se vozi na duzinu od 110 krugova / 320 km. Ovde su se trke po prvi put vozile jos 1985. godine doduse u to vreme u kategorijama Trans-Am i IMSA sampionata, dok je Indikar debitovao 2003. i to pod sankcijom CCWS. IRL preuzima trku od sezone 2005. i ona ostaje na kalendaru sampionata i nakon ujedinjenja 2008. Od sezone 2009. pa sve do sada ovde je premijera Indikar sezone.

Medju vozacima ovde je najvise puta pobedjivao Elio Kastroneves (3) koji ce ove godine dobiti cast da da signal za start trke (on ce ove sezone voziti samo Indi 500, posto je vec par godina prekomandovan u Penskijev IMSA program) a medju timovima najuspesniji je Penski sa 9 pobeda. Prosle godine u St. Pitu slavio je Dzozef Njugarden koji takodje brani i sampionsku titulu.

Za sada su po mom racunu potvrdjeni sledeci vozaci i timovi za ovu trku:

Fojt-Sevrolet #4 Carli Kimbal, #14 Sebastijan Borde

Andreti-Honda #26 Zek Vic, #27 Aleksander Rosi, #28 Rajan Hanter-Rej, #88 Kolton Herta, #98 Marko Andreti
AMSP-Sevrolet #5 Pato O'Vord, #7 Oliver Eskju
Karlin-Sevrolet #31 (ceka se zvanicna potvrda, verovatno Felipe Nasr), #59 Maks Cilton
Ganasi-Honda #8 Markus Erikson, #9 Skot Dikson, #10 Feliks Rozenkvist
Kojn-Honda #18 Santino Feruci, #55 Aleks Palu

DragonSpid-Sevrolet #81 Ben Henli
D&R-Sevrolet #24 Sejdz Karam
Karpenter-Sevrolet #20 Konor Dejli, #21 Rinus ViKej
MSR-Honda #60 Dzek Harvi
RLL-Honda #15 Grem Rehol, #30 Takuma Sato
Penski-Sevrolet #1 Dzozef Njugarden, #12 Vil Pauer, #22 Simon Pazeno

...sto cini 26 bolida.

Sto se tice aktuelnih globalnih dogadjanja oko koronavirusa, organizatori pozivaju na oprez ali se ne ocekuje da ce biti ikakvog uticaja na odrzavanje trke.

Satnicu, zvanicnu startnu listu i sve ostalo sto po redu ide okacicu kad budu objavljeni na zvanicnom sajtu.

• Like 1

• Radoye unpinned this topic