Bivši Partizanovci u Evropi i NBA

Nelson Bighetti

sa athletica:

Bogdan Bogdanovic injury: A doctor’s take on expected outlook, rehab length

GettyImages-1295646662-e1610367165214-10

By Chris Kirschner 2h ago 7 

Solomon Hill joked on Sunday that he was the last man standing of the additions for the Hawks this past offseason, either through the draft, free agency or trades. Hill, who is on a non-guaranteed contract, was the one player who was seen as the least likely to play heavy minutes prior to the season, but he has been thrust into the rotation. The Hawks suddenly look similar to the 20-47 version of this team from last season.

Danilo Gallinari has missed two weeks with an ankle sprain; Rajon Rondo has missed seven games with a knee injury; Kris Dunn, Tony Snell and first-round pick Onyeka Okongwu haven’t played a game; and now Bogdan Bogdanovic will miss extended time with an avulsion fracture with associated soft tissue inflammation and bone bruising in his right knee. Bogdanovic sustained the injury early in Saturday’s 102-94 loss to Charlotte and left without putting much weight on his leg.

The news of Bogdanovic’s injury comes with bad timing for him and the Hawks as he had just replaced Cam Reddish in the starting lineup Saturday night after Reddish had been struggling on offense to start the season. Inserting Bogdanovic into the starting lineup hopefully would have given the Hawks a jolt on offense, which has been the root cause for their four-game losing streak. The Hawks now could go back to having Reddish in the starting lineup alongside Trae Young in the backcourt, or they could go with Kevin Huerter, who has quietly played well this season coming off the bench, as the starting shooting guard.

The loss of Bogdanovic puts more spotlight on Reddish and Huerter to raise their games in his absence and also on De’Andre Hunter, who will continue having a big role on both ends of the floor, as he undoubtedly has been one of the team’s three best players so far this season. After giving Bogdanovic $72 million in free agency, his production had been underwhelming — as he mostly has been used as a spot-up shooter and was pacing at career lows in minutes, usage and points per game. He also was only shooting around league average at 36 percent from 3. It’s still a significant blow as Bogdanovic, through three seasons with Sacramento, had proven himself to be one of the best shooting guards in the league and valuable for the Hawks as they needed a trusted secondary playmaker who could play with or without Young next to him.

There’s no timetable on when Bogdanovic will return, as the Hawks announced his treatment plan is still being reviewed and will be updated later this week, but a doctor I spoke with was sent video of Bogdanovic’s injury and the diagnosis from the team to provide more insight into when we might be able to see him on the court again.

“The injury itself on video looks concerning for a left knee injury to a ligament injury for the ACL or MCL,” said Dr. Deepak Chona, founder of SportsMedAnalytics. “It’s listed as a right knee injury, though. With that MRI report, usually if it was an ACL injury, they would have listed that right away. What it sounds like is an injury to the MCL or another ligament in that knee, like the LCL. In either case, you would treat it most likely the same with being in a brace for a week or two to protect it and then gradually bring it back to full recovery. What it sounds like most likely is the diagnosis being a ligament sprain. Players can usually return around the four-ish week timeframe depending on the severity and the degree of cutting in the sport. In basketball, there’s a high demand for cutting, so you might see a longer time being out. Four-ish weeks is around the time I would see him begin non-contact drills and doing them at a high level.”

An avulsion fracture, which is what the Hawks medical staff diagnosed the injury as, means a ligament in his right knee was stretched and instead of tearing, which is seen in a torn ACL and other similar significant ligament injuries, the ligament pulls a tiny piece of the bone off. An avulsion fracture with bone bruising, in Chona’s opinion, means Bogdanovic sustained a bad ligament sprain instead of a tear, which Chona said is the best-case scenario with this injury because it’s normally treated with a non-operative procedure. If surgery is not needed, which isn’t clear yet, Chona estimates Bogdanovic should miss around four to six weeks and will return at full strength.

Chona says most avulsion fractures do not require surgery, but the most severe in this category happen when the bone has completely ripped off and ligament reconstruction surgery would be needed. If Bogdanovic requires surgery, Chona said he would be out for a minimum of six months, which would mean he would be out for the season. After viewing the video, Chona believes Bogdanovic was lucky that it doesn’t look as severe as it looked to an untrained eye.

“It was counterintuitive to me as I watched the video because the left knee was the more drastic-looking injury,” Chona said. “What sometimes happens is if you look closely, his left foot is not firmly planted. That energy as it passes through the body — having that left foot loose on the ground may have been what saved his left knee because if it was firmly planted, it would have been a pivot point that would have resisted the energy that was flowing through. Because it’s a right knee injury, I think what happened is even though a big motion came through his left knee, it was flexible enough where the kinetic energy wasn’t just confined to his knee. It went down through his body down from his knee to his ankle to his foot. That, I think, is what saved his left knee.”

Bogdan Bogdanovic stats

SEASONS

MINUTES

ASSISTS

REBOUNDS

SHOOTING

3-POINT SHOOTING

2020-21

2017-20

Because of the initial reporting, Chona believes the prognosis means Bogdanovic is likely to not need surgery because an ACL, MCL or LCL tear would have been present in the MRI scan, but the Hawks only announced an avulsion fracture in their initial diagnosis. Chona did say there is an off chance that it could still end up being a torn ligament, such as an ACL which can cause avulsion fractures, instead of a sprain but that is the least likely scenario, he said.

Chona anticipates Bogdanovic being able to start rehabbing somewhere in the one- to three-week range with the fourth week being in an advanced rehab stage. The Hawks normally take longer than expected on recoveries because of how diligent they are in not rushing back players. Players normally start with non-contact drills before progressing to modified practices without contact, then full contact, followed by 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 scrimmaging before being medically cleared. After being medically cleared, players are normally on minutes restrictions for a few games preceding no restrictions. So don’t be surprised if Bogdanovic’s rehab takes longer than what Chona’s medical opinion tells him.

Rehab can start, Chona says, as soon as Bogdanovic’s pain level can tolerate it. Bone bruising in the knee sometimes can delay the rehab process for up to two weeks because of how painful it can be with bearing weight. If the pain is tolerable after the first few days with rest, which is normally the case, as long as the knee is stable, he’ll be able to move his knee in a brace and start his non-operative rehab plan. Chona said it’s unlikely the Hawks or Bogdanovic would have to worry about this affecting him long term as long as the training staff allows enough time to pass from the initial injury. The key for athletes returning from any ligament injury is to not rush a return; otherwise, the potential for re-injury is high because the ligament needs time to stabilize.

The depth of this team was lauded as a strength entering the season, and it continues to be tested with the loss of Bogdanovic, but it should not be an excuse, according to the last free agent standing.

“Every team at some point is going to have somebody missing,” Hill recently said. “I went through this in the Finals (with Miami). We had two guys go down, and it’s next man up. The one thing we keep saying about this team is our depth, so why are people being down? It should be that when you have depth, it’s no problem. If we truly are a deep team, then it’s an opportunity for the next man up.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

toeto. jebeš krvava kolena i tripovanja oko duleta, ovo je najveće nasleđe partizana s'početka 2iljaditih koje se prenelo do danas.

sećam se ekipe grobara sa kojima sam redovno igrao basket u kraju: rođeni burazeri grobari i imali su trećeg (grobara) u ekipi;

svaki njiihov dolazak nakon tekme (a to je bilo puno ranije od ovog gistovog, kraj 90ih - prve godine 2iljaditih) je bio spektakl na terenu za basket. ljudi su bili haj kao da su na esidima nakon tih seansi.

zato mi je krivo kada sve trpate u duleta, partizan je veći i bolji od toga, iako je duja veliki.

Sve je deo istog paketa i teško da možeš da povučeš granicu i podeliš doprinos. Bilo je i pre Duleta velikih ekipa i pohoda (kao oni koje pominješ, recimo onaj pohod na F4 sa Kimetom), ovde se poklopilo više toga:

- vreme za razvoj odnosa (a bilo je uspona i padova),

- Duletov borba, bre pristup, u koji je uklapao čak i strane igrače, mlade ili već iskusne, svejedno, a koji je dodatno lukavo podsticao svojim lepim pričama,

- očigledna potreba da se mlad i manje kvalitetan tim podigne na viši nivo ludačkom podrškom sa tribina, čime se u makar u nekoj maleckoj meri postiglo ono Hornbijevo da su igrači marionete na terenu, a tribine drže konce (nije bitno da li je tako i ako jeste, koliko je jaka ta veza, bitno je da svi - navijači, igrači, protivnik, sudije... veruju da jeste tako) itede.

Kao i u drugim istorijskim prilikama, obično se neki period vezuje za konkretan pojam (često vladara, trenera, igrača ili neku drugu bitnu ličnost), tako i taj period ostaje upamćen kao Duletovo vreme, zato što je on, takav-kakav je, ipak bio komandant parade, a jasno je, sigurno nije sam zaslužan za sve, niti se sve svodi na njegov trenerski doprinos.

Meni lično je prva asocijacija na taj period taj osećaj na šta sam sve bio spreman da bih stigao na utakmicu i ta opijenost tokom i posle nje, kao kod tvojih drugara. Pord toga, veza koja je izgrađena sa igračima, zajednički osećaj da se dešava nešto posebno - sećam se kad je Lazme gostovao u Areni i prilikom jednom tajm-auta krcate tribine skandiraju njegovo ime, a on se zablentavio u publiku, ne može da zadrži osmeh. Onda se u jednom trenutku priseti da trener priča nešto, pa se trgne a mi u smeh.

• Like 5
  • Love 3