oldie but goodie

ćušpajz

uništio ga je u međusobnom duelu, nisam rekao da je tajson seljak izgubio od pejsersa. da si gledao, znao bi o čemu pričam, bojkotovao je plej of kao top 3 igrač ekipe 

2 hours ago, delgado said:

Cuveni plejof 2013. (najbolji ikad) i ona cuvena blokada Hibberta na Karmelu u G6 valjda ? Miami/Indiana iz 2013. nekako ce mi uvek ostati urezana kao najbolja serija koju sam gledao u zivotu. 

ta bandza je precenjena, jer je ostalo brdo vremena ali fakat je knicksima pao moral tada 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Oakley, a bruising brawler in his heyday who’s been involved in so many tussles that there’s a story online about the top 12 fights of his career, has landed himself a spot in the cast for ABC’s new season of ‘Dancing with the Stars.’

1157483765.jpg.0.jpg

Photographic evidence that Oakley knows how to boogie.  Photo by Unique Nicole/Getty Images

• Like 1

“I think we see Willis coming out”: An oral history of the Knicks’ Game 7 win in the 1970 NBA Finals

Sep 8 
Written By Matthew Miranda

pzl9vHR.jpg

Not pictured: Wilt Chamberlain crapping his pants on the other side of the court.

https://www.thestrick.land/strick/willis-reed-knicks-nba-finals-1970-game-7-oral-history

++

Notes:

• Falling to the Knicks made Baylor winless in seven career Finals and West 0-for-6. I lived for a bit in the old century. I’m not here to tell you things were better then. Some were. One was people like Ernie Banks and Elgin Baylor and Don Mattingly being mostly appreciated for all that they were rather than reduced to the square root of a championship ring. 

• Interesting fact: 1970 was the only season in Chamberlain’s 14-year career that he didn’t lead the league per game in minutes, points, rebounds or field goal %.

• Free throws back in the day were unreal! The moment the refs got the ball after the first shot, they were whipping it back to the shooter. Frazier didn’t even need three seconds to get his second attempt up after the first.

• Dave Stallworth, who put in some good, tough shifts guarding Chamberlain and hit an enormous shot over Wilt in the Knicks’ Game 5 comeback, suffered a heart attack in his second NBA season, before his time with the Knicks. Wow. If the NBA still does Comeback Player of the Year awards, name that after Stallworth.

• Things you learn watching old games: I always thought Happy Hairston was a white dude, just off the name. He was not.

• At stake for the winning players: a $48K share. When Toronto beat Golden State over a year ago, that had climbed to about $220K per player. (Ed. note: What has seen a much bigger spike in the years since is obviously player salaries: the average player in 1970 made around $35K; now, some players’ contracts pay them close to $50 million, championship or not. Safe to say a title meant a little more to the players financially back then.)

• Game 7’s broadcast sponsors: Arrow, the colorful white shirt company, and Salem filter cigarettes — with the taste “springtime soft, menthol fresh.” Damn. Now I want me a smoke. 

• Different world: DeBusschere, the 1970 Knicks’ power forward, was basically the same size (6’6”, 220 lbs.) as the 2020 Knicks’ shooting guard, RJ Barrett. 

• There were multiple mid-game announcements that ABC would air President Nixon’s press conference at 10 p.m. Remember when Nixon was the worst president you could imagine? Good times.

• My dad told me to be sure to mention the time before a game we saw Walt Frazier and Al Trautwig and I got a picture and a photo with Clyde. My dad always asks if I still have it. I always wish I could tell him yes. But no.

• I mention Trautwig simply because he was there, and maybe because in the mid-’90s I’d seen more of Trautwig on TV than Frazier. But as someone who saw Frazier’s entire career, my father may not have even perceived Trautwig’s existence, ‘cuz who cares about that when Walt Freaking Frazier’s standing right there?  

• I asked my dad what was it like watching the ‘90s Knicks vs. the championship teams, and what would happen if they played one another:

MIRANDA: All the time on the courts, your uncle Oscar and I weren’t the fastest guys or the most athletic. But we won most games we played — people thought we ran trick plays, but it was just because we knew how to pick and roll; we passed; we knew how to block out. I think the 1970s Knicks would be like Oscar and myself, in terms of fundamentally they were sound. The ‘90s Knicks had Ewing, they had Starks, but they were kind of wild. They were rough. I think if the ‘90s Knicks played the ‘70s Knicks, the ‘70s win seven of eight games, simply because of the discipline and the team play. The Knicks were textbook as far as what team play was. Five guys touched the ball before a shot was taken. It was a thing of beauty to watch them. 

Quoth Harvey Araton a few months ago regarding those golden age Knickerbockers: “The Knicks love affair transcended divisions of religion, race and economic class, stretching from Harlem to Wall Street, the Bronx to Staten Island, and to the most distant suburban stops on commuter lines.” Today we heard from Connecticut, Spanish Harlem and the Mecca itself. Today, just like 50 years ago, a criminal president* pretends to value law and order in order to keep us separated and too weakened fighting each other to punch up. The 1970 Knicks proved a fist is more powerful than five fingers. Hopefully that lesson repeats itself, on the MSG hardwood and in the world all around us.

Edited by uini
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week in Knicks history: New York beats Toronto in the first modern professional basketball game

A record that will last forever.

By BennyBuckets71  Nov 3, 2020, 6:24am PST

514957538.0.jpg

Recent history has not been kind to the Knicks, but times were good and wins were plentiful if you look far enough into the past, including 74 years ago this week, when New York outdueled Toronto in the first Basketball Associate of America game in history.

If you’re confused by the BAA not being called the NBA, it might be because you aren’t 100 years old. The BAA was the precursor to the NBA. The league renamed itself as the NBA in 1949, and in 1976 the NBA merged with the American Basketball Association, or ABA, to form the NBA that we all know and love. Anyway, let’s get back to the matter at hand.

The year was 1946. Harry S. Truman was president of the United States, World War II was nearing its end, the Almond Joy chocolate bar was first introduced to the world, and zero NBA had ever been played. Today, Truman and WWII are nothing but history. The Almond Joy and professional basketball remain.

The BAA was preparing to tip-off its inaugural season with a debut game featuring the New York Knickerbockers and Toronto Huskies, held in Toronto. On Halloween in 1946, the New York Times noted that the notable event was set to take place.

Screen_Shot_2020_11_02_at_3.14.06_PM.png

The Knickerbockers, coached by a man named Cornelius J. “Neil” Cohalan, were one of 11 total teams in the league. The eventual championship would feature the Philadelphia Warriors against the Chicago Stags, with the Warriors winning. But this isn’t a post about the conclusion of the 1946-47 BAA season. It’s about the start.

The Knicks kicked off the first major professional basketball league with a nail-biter against the Huskies that came down to the last few minutes, according to the New York Times recap of the game. The first points were scored by Ossie Schectman, a 6’0”, 175-pound guard who’d only play one season in the league. The basket came as a result of an absolutely beautiful three-man-weave fast break. It boggles the mind to look at these guys run down the court while considering that the future of the league would include athletes like LeBron James or Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Per the New York Times, the game was played in front of 7,090 fans, which isn’t a lot compared to modern arenas but is a ton if you’re juxtaposing it with the amount of people who got to watch any of this year’s bubble games in person. It was a back and forth game throughout. The Knicks went up 6-0 before the Huskies made a field goal, but Toronto scored 7 straight points to take the lead. Ultimately, a 10-0 run by the Knicks put New York up 37-29 at halftime.

Leo Gottlieb, a 5’11”, 180-pound guard nicknamed “Ace,” carried the Knicks in that first half, pouring in 14 points. He wouldn’t score in the second half.

The game remained close throughout the second half, and New York’s first professional basketball heroes were anointed with less than two minutes to play in the game. Two field goals from Dick Murphy, plus a free throw from Tommy Byrnes, clinched the 68-66 victory. Murphy, a 6’1”, 175-pound guard, scored 5 points total for the game. Byrnes, a 6’3”, 175-pound forward, totaled 4 points.

The game’s leading scorer was Ed Sadowski of the Huskies, who posted 18 points in the first ever BAA game. Sadowski, whose name sounds more like a Tri-State area plumber than a professional basketball player, was a 6’5”, 240-pound center.

The Knicks would finish the debut, 60-game BAA season with a record of 33-27, and ultimately lost to the Warriors in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, which back then was the final round before the championship.

The names of the 1946-47 Knicks may not be as recognizable as many of the players who came after them. But by winning the first ever BAA game against the Huskies, their place in history was forever cemented, so today we honor them.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/11/3/21546614/this-week-in-knicks-history-new-york-beats-toronto-in-the-first-modern-professional-basketball-game

Edited by đubrivo.
  • Like 2