F2 2019

Radoye

Juan Manuel Correa remains in an induced coma in an Intensive Care Unit in London with “consistent and stable” vital signs, according to his parents.

The Ecuadorian-American was severely injured in the Formula 2 crash that claimed the life of Anthoine Hubert at Spa-Francorchamps nearly two weeks ago, and was transferred to hospital in Liege for surgery before being moved to an ICU in London where he was placed in an induced coma. After confirming Correa is in a critical condition in an update a week ago, his parents Juan Carlos and Maria have released another update on his progress.

“Our son, Juan Manuel, remains in the Intensive Care Unit at a hospital in London, England with my wife and I at his side,” the update read. “We have good days and bad days as well as long nights and short nights but with the support of the motorsports community, our friends, family, country and fans, we continue to pray for Juan Manuel.

“Juan Manuel remains in a state of induced coma with paralysis in order for his lungs to get as much rest as possible. Continuing to be assisted by an ECMO machine many of the key vital indicators have improved slightly while others have deteriorated very little. We have been reminded by the doctors that as long as Juan Manuel continues in an upward trend of improvement, even if very little, it is all that we can ask for at the moment. Infections are under control and respiratory indicators remain stable and all vital signs continue to remain consistent and stable.

“We believe in our son’s strength and determination, we see the minor improvement as an indication of him starting to turn the tide in his favor; we just need him to do it a little quicker. Doctors continue to monitor and change the bandages when necessary and confirm that the fractures are multiple and severe. Additional surgeries will be required once Juan Manuel’s lungs improve to a state that it is safe for doctors to proceed.

“We would like to thank each and every person that has called, texted, sent emails and reached out on social media. We have received and read or continue to read and show all the messages to Juan Manuel. Your messages help him to fight and never give up. This will be the biggest single motivator for Juan Manuel when he regains consciousness. We invite fans and friends to continue to send supportive messages via social media or to [email protected]. Again, thank you for your support.”

Juan Manuel Correa’s family say the driver has been taken out of the induced coma he was placed in after suffering serious injuries in a crash at Spa three weeks ago.

Correa suffered extensive trauma, including to his legs and lungs, after colliding with Anthoine Hubert, who was fatally injured.

An update issued by Correa’s family said: “As of today, Juan Manuel Correa has been removed from the ECMO [Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation] machine, life support and taken out of induced coma.

“While this is great news and a major step in the right direction, he is still in a race against time.”

The 20-year-old is “conscious, but not fully yet awake” according to his family. “Doctors report that this will take a few days due to being in induced coma for more than two weeks.

“They have also stated that Juan Manuel is fragile and still vulnerable medically speaking and that he remains in the Intensive Care Unit. His condition has been upgraded from critical to serious.”

The team treating Correa at a hospital in the UK are preparing to work on the leg injuries he suffered in the high-speed crash at Raidillon.

“The medical priority for Juan Manuel now shifts from the lungs to the leg injuries that were sustained more than two weeks ago and have not been addressed since the initial emergency intervention the day of the incident,” said the family’s statement.

“Doctors are in a race against time to perform a pending major surgery in order to minimise risk of irreversible injuries to his right lower extremity but can’t proceed until lungs are ready to withstand a lengthy operation.

“Additional details will be provided on Juan Manuel’s condition when available.”

• 1 month later...

Correa explains why he couldn’t avoid Hubert’s car in Spa crash
Formula 2

21st November 2019, 14:27
Keith Collantine

Juan Manuel Correa has revealed new details of the Formula 2 crash at Spa-Francorchamps in August which claimed the life of Anthoine Hubert.

The pair collided at the exit of Raidillon after Hubert’s car struck a barrier on the outside of the corner on lap two of the feature race. The collision happened moments after Giuliano Alesi’s car had gone off at the same corner.

Correa explained in an interview with Mundo Sport and F1 Feeder Series that his car was struck by debris from Alesi’s before he hit Hubert’s car.

“When I went past Eau Rouge I stepped on debris from Alesi’s car that got under the front wheels, lifted them so I went straight, with the bad luck that I went straight into Hubert’s car,” he said.

He has contributed to the FIA’s forthcoming report into the cause of the crash. “It’s all clear,” he said, “I had meetings with the FIA, it was an accident with very bad luck, a long chain of events where four or five cars were involved.

“What I told about what I experienced coincides with the FIA report. But it’s over, no investigation is going to change the fact that I have a hard year ahead.”

According to Correa the force of the impact was measured at 70G. He suffered serious injuries to his right leg and his rehabilitation is expected to take over a year.

“Unfortunately, it is most likely [I will] never make a full recovery in my leg,” he said. “But I will fight to recover it enough to step on the throttle again.”

• 4 weeks later...

Formula 2 has introduced new regulations to stop drivers avoiding bans if they collect 12 penalty points on their licences, as Mahaveer Raghunathan did this season.

The MP Motorsport driver collected 12 points on his licence on two separate occasions this year. On the second occasion, during practice in Abu Dhabi, he went on to compete in that weekend’s races, which comprised the final round of the season.

F2 has now approved new regulations which will ensure bans take effect more rapidly.

“If a driver accrues 12 penalty points during a free practice or qualifying, he will be suspended for the remainder of the event,” states the revised rules. “If a driver accrues 12 penalty points in a race, he will be suspended for the following event. After the suspension has been issued, 12 points will be removed.”

However the rule will not necessarily ensure drivers avoid serving bans at the end of a season, as Raghunathan did. A driver who reaches 12 penalty points in race one of an event would still be able to compete in race two.

The FIA has previously confirmed Raghunathan’s ban will not be carried over to the start of next season if he returns to Formula 2 next year.