Renault 2019

alpiner

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Daniel Ricciardo on Anthoine Hubert's death: 'It's an anger it's happened again'

Last Saturday, Daniel Ricciardo went through what might best be described as a long, dark night of the soul.

Following the death of Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert at the Belgian Grand Prix, the Renault driver went back to his hotel and questioned whether it was all worth it. The answer did not come easily, but in the end the Australian raced at Spa on Sunday.

Four days on, he sits down with BBC Sport at the start of the Italian Grand Prix weekend, and delves deep into what it takes for a racing driver to confront his fears and race on in such difficult circumstances.

"I certainly questioned it," the 30-year-old Australian says. "The reality is, weirdly, I do love it too much. Racing did feel right in the end. Even though I didn't really want to, once I did it, it was like, OK, this actually feels right and normal."

For a long time over last weekend, though, it felt anything but normal.

"When you're a kid and you see it on TV, and you're not present or not part of it," Ricciardo says, "it still seems like there is some form of distance, or a disconnection to what's happened.

"But when you're there and it happens to one of your colleagues, or it's in the same race, it seems more real, and it's like: 'OK, this actually can happen to anyone, and it's here, it's present right now.'

"The realisation of us not being invincible does set in. I know my parents stress enough for me already - you know, watching me race and travel the world and being on a plane every few days. You just question it: is it really worth putting not only myself but family under the same amount of stress?"

The aftermath of the accident

The night of the accident, Ricciardo says, he "didn't get much sleep, and for sure you're asking yourself questions, probably just fighting a little bit with some anger and some frustration of 'why,' you know?

"And then also fighting with a few of the emotions of should I actually get up and race tomorrow? Is it the right thing to do morally? Is it the right thing to do for me?

"And I kind of did also think: 'Let's see how I feel by lunchtime, and if I'm still having some doubts then maybe the safest thing for me is not to race.'

"I kind of wanted to play it by ear. Just running through all these scenarios: 'What if I feel like this? What if that?'

"By Sunday morning, I had a bit more clarity. I did manage to sleep a little bit and wake up preparing myself for race day. But it still felt cold and weird. It didn't feel right to be excited to race, just to be happy to be there. It felt like, tick off the minutes and get the job done.

"The lead-up to the race, I'd probably just describe it as not very fun in terms of just it was tough to try and go through the motions and go through a routine when that has happened less than 24 hours ago. And, you know, drivers' parade and all that, you're waving to fans, but you don't feel right smiling or being happy, I guess.

"It was difficult, just trying to get into the zone, just trying to find any form of rhythm.

"Getting in the car on Sunday was not easy, but it was more of a sadness than a fear and I think it was important I established that. If I had been getting in the car with a pure level of fear, then it wouldn't have been smart for me to race. I did understand that it was just a sadness."

'Just go as fast as possible'

"Once we kind of got going, it actually felt like pretty good release. It felt like a de-stress, just racing and competing. Just going at those speeds, it was like flushing out the system and that felt good.

"After the race, for sure I was still glad it was done but I did feel better than I did two hours before that.

"I'll be honest, the race was fun. It was good to be out there. And as much as I was looking forward to seeing the chequered flag, I did enjoy a pure race on Sunday."

The race, he says, acted as a form of catharsis.

"When something happens, you've just go to dive back into it, and that's the best way of overcoming it. And I think that's what the race was for us. I told myself little things as well: 'Just go fast as soon as possible. Leave the pits and just go, and try to get into that mode already. Don't tip-toe around. Don't over-think certain places on the track.'

"I remember I got out of the pits, drifted out, and forced myself to get into that mindset straight away."

This is a reference to his thoughts about going through Raidillon, where Hubert had his crash. It is part of the infamous Eau Rouge swerves, a left-hander over the brow of a hill taken flat out at more than 180mph.

"I told myself: 'Go full throttle, and just don't over-think this corner, don't over-think any of it.' Out of the pits... held it full. That was a relief but it felt good to get out there and do that. And that also told me that I was ready to go.

"I think if I was, big lift and scared, then that would be a sign that maybe I shouldn't be on the track right now. I guess I wanted to do that to test myself and then it all felt right."

Did he talk to the other drivers about it?

"I got to speak to a few. I only met Anthoine this year. The Renault Academy boys obviously spent a lot of time with him and I saw them Sunday morning. I spoke to a couple of them Saturday night as well, just over text.

"They had done training camps together. They're a little family. They're younger as well. That's where I felt I could try and be a little bit of, in some ways, a father figure to them and comfort them. I was feeling it, but they were more so. We basically gave each other all a hug on Sunday morning. We tried to chat over it a little bit.

"And then with the other drivers, I spoke to a few of them, but before the race you could see everyone kind of wanted to be on their own.

"Waiting for the driver parade, we were all just standing there. There were a few handshakes or hugs but you could kind of tell everyone was just trying to prepare for the race and it was a tough one. After the race, I spoke to mainly the French drivers, who I knew were closest to Anthoine."

The Bianchi factor

Hubert is not the first driver Ricciardo has known who has been killed. The last F1 driver to lose his life was the Frenchman Jules Bianchi, who suffered fatal head injuries in a crash at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. Ricciardo had come up through the ranks with Bianchi and they were close friends.

"Jules' [death] hit me very hard," Ricciardo says. "In a way, not disrespecting it, I was quite surprised how hard it hit me. I didn't expect it to hit me so hard and for it to last so long - the sadness and the hurt from that extended over some period.

"With last weekend, you think time kind of cures everything, and it was like, OK, nothing's happened for a while and with good reason. The sport's got safer and we're in a good place. And then it happens. And it's a shock.

"It's an anger that it has happened again. We thought we'd moved on from all this. It's when it's refreshed in your mind again and it's there in front of you, it's hard not to take it with difficulty."

Has it changed his perspective on racing?

"Initially, it did change. Time does cure it. Those intense initial emotions did slowly fizzle out.

"With the Jules one, I felt like my purpose and intent after that was, 'OK, if we are going to strap ourselves into these cars, and if we're all aware of the risk, it doesn't make sense to go in half-heartedly. If we're going to do it, go all in, and make it worthwhile.'

"I felt like Jules' passing kind of made me embrace the racer even more so. And to be honest this will probably end up having the same effect.

"I didn't have that kind of fear in the race. And until that fear steps in, I'll just use it as a form of motivation. However many years I do it, at least I can say I did it right."

'I surprised myself' or how do drivers do it?

It can be hard to comprehend how a racing driver can compartmentalise their fears in this way, or the uniqueness of the sort of character required to do a job that they know can kill them, but to go ahead and do it anyway because they love it so much that they can't stop.

Can Ricciardo explain what makes F1 drivers able to live with that contradiction?

He pauses for a few seconds.

"Actually I get goosebumps," he says, "because I don't actually know why or how.

"On Saturday night, I felt in no place to drive a race car on the same track the next day. But then even getting out of the pits and going through Raidillon and all that, it was weird how normal and natural it felt. And I can't explain that.

"It's probably just when you have a deep passion and love for something, that's the result. To be honest, I surprised myself. And we probably all did on Sunday.

"I didn't expect to enjoy any part of the race, no matter where I finished. But I did enjoy being back out there, and that rush of racing. Yes, it was still in your mind, of course. But how we're able to put it to one side for a moment, I can't explain why or how. It does surprise me."

The approach to mortality

Ricciardo is known for his gung-ho style, and his attacking victories, often made possible by on-the-edge overtaking moves in which he throws the car down the inside of an opponent from an impossible distance back. How does he rationalise the risks, carry on knowing that an injury is always a possibility?

"You've got to always control the controllables," he says. "In my case, I guess never get reckless.

"After the race or at times you may see me give a driver the finger or show my kind of anger. But I've always tried to teach myself to not let the emotion take over the driver in the race and get reckless, basically.

"Yes, I've tried some late overtakes in my time and I've done some moves that might seem risky, but there's always a level of control and calculation in that and it's never done purely on emotion.

"So I'll not let myself get reckless or put myself in a position I don't need to be in. Yes, I want to take risks and be on that fine line. But be sensible enough not to over-step it and I think I am able to do that.

"From that point of view, I am comfortable hopping in the car. There's obviously the thing of failures and technical stuff that can go wrong. That's an uncontrollable from my side. Can't really think about those actually. And even if you know they're there and present at times, once you put the helmet on and get going, you don't think about it.

"It's one of those things that if it happens in the wrong place or the wrong corner, then what do you do? You've got to put that rationale in your head that it could have happened on the way to the circuit, it could have happened on the road."

It's rare for racing drivers to discuss danger and the risk of death so openly.

Safety is discussed every weekend in F1, but it's normally on an abstract level - what can we do about this gravel trap, or that barrier?

Hubert's death has brought it front and centre. Is it hard is it to talk about it?

"Of course it is tough to address something that's real and has happened," Ricciardo says, "but it does help to talk about it. Having the comfort of everyone else last weekend and being on the grid together, and talking to some of the other drivers... yeah, it's not fun talking about it, but it also helps relieve any feelings or emotions.

"I think just knowing that you're in the same boat with someone else, knowing that you're not alone feeling the way you do, that helps.

"So being part of a group or a community. That was where you realise, there are rivalries or whatever, but a rivalry on track doesn't express how much we all have in common and how much we do actually care and feel for each other.

"It's tough but it does feel nice to get some of it off your chest."

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Renault didn't want to continue with 'pessimistic' Hulkenberg

Renault's Alain Prost says that Renault chose to change its line-up for the 2020 season as it didn't wish to continue with a "negative" Nico Hulkenberg.

The German will leave Renault at the end of the 2019 season, with Esteban Ocon stepping in after signing a two-year deal to race alongside Daniel Ricciardo.

Hulkenberg, who has been part of the Renault outfit since the 2017 campaign, was quite negative within the team according to Prost, who is currently a director of Renault Sport.

"We'll have a hard enough time at Renault next year, so it was important to appoint a motivated driver for next season," admitted the four-time world champion.

Prost added that it was keen to sign Ocon, who is "motivated" to get back to racing after spending the 2019 season on the sidelines after losing his seat at Force India last year. 

"We don't want to have any pessimistic drivers in our team and that's why we chose Ocon, who is very motivated after a year on the side of the road," Prost added.

"Nico is pretty negative, but he's also right on certain points. However, we have to look ahead and then we can't use the negativity of a driver. Especially since next year will be a very difficult season for us."

With major regulation changes coming in 2021, Prost says that Renault will be firmly focused on the 2021 season next year, meaning that it is expecting a difficult campaign in 2020.

"I can be honest, we're going to focus on 2021," Prost stated. "As a result, next season will be a mediocre to perhaps even bad season for us.

"Because of the new rules coming up for 2021, it makes no sense for us to develop much more for 2020. We are going to make a lot of changes and hope to perform at a high level in 2021."

Ja koliko sam pratio Hulka i njegove odgovore, on je uvjek bio realan. Iskreno je govorio u cemu je problem sa autom. 

Ali to ne ide uz francuski ponos. Oni vec godinama mjesaju realizam sa negativnoscu. 

Ric je davao vise negativnih odgovora o auto nego Hulk, ali on je doveden kao Golden Boy pa ga jos tolerisu.

Hulk ko Hulk uvjek dzentlmen bio. I kad je cuo da nece ostati u timu, nije pljuvao po njima. Za razliku od Prosta koji ga optuziju da je negativan da bi i on sam to bio, optuzujuci svog klegu. Usput se posro i na slijedecu sezonu. 

Nadam se da cemo imati Hulka u Haasu iduce godine. 

Esteban Ocon’s two-year deal to drive for Renault does not include an escape clause which would allow him to return to Mercedes in 2021.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff confirmed Ocon will be unable to return to the team in 2021 if Lewis Hamilton or Valtteri Bottas leave at the end of the 2020 F1 season, when their current contracts team expire.

“No there is no clause,” Wolff confirmed at Monza. “He is a full-fledged Renault works driver for the next two years and with certain options afterwards on both sides. No clause to come back in 2021.”

Daniel Ricciardo: 'This season emphasised my love for Formula 1'

It has not been an easy year at Renault, but Daniel Ricciardo nevertheless says this season has "emphasised his love" for Formula 1.

The Australian seven-time winner left Red Bull to join Renault on a two-year contract for 2019 and 2020 worth more than $50m (£40.2m), and his new team started the season with the ambition of closing on the top three teams.

Instead, Renault have slipped backwards. But Ricciardo says he "still feels good" about the decision, has no regrets, and that he would like to continue with the team if they can show sufficient improvements next season.

"Do I want to stay? Yes, because ideally we do get this to the next level," Ricciardo tells BBC Sport in an exclusive interview.

"It was my massive intention to come here. My intention wasn't to have a two-year layover somewhere else. I know people might still think that, but I really want this to work. I feel like the hours I have put in this year have shown I have the drive to want to do so."

After comfortably finishing fourth in the constructors' championship last year, Renault are fifth with seven races left in 2019, one place behind McLaren, a customer of Renault's engines.

The regression - and the contrast with the startling progress at McLaren - has led to disappointment and significant internal pressure, but Ricciardo says he was expecting a difficult season all along.

"Definitely not to be negative, but regardless of even if we were coming sixth every weekend, I knew there were still bigger targets and that we were still not going to be where we want to be," he says.

"Yes, we're at times further back than we expected and hoped, but I knew there would be work to be done and a lot of hours to put in. I feel like I was prepared for that.

"Even though I feel like I have worked more hours and probably worked harder this year than in previous years, it has still been quite enjoyable because the environment is different - new people, new relationships.

"If anything, it has reiterated what I want in the sport."

'Get me back to the front'

There have been some dark moments along the way, though, and the nadir was a weekend in Austria at the end of June when Renault were uncompetitive.

"Austria, literally, I can tell you conversations going in my head during that race," Ricciardo says. "I am literally driving around - I don't want to say not present - but my thoughts were: 'I don't want to be here.'

"When I say that, I mean: 'I don't want to be in this position.' I was 14th or something and it was one of our worst weekends. But it wasn't a head-down defeat, it was: 'Get me back to the front - this is not where I should be. This is not where we should be.'

"So a really bad weekend emphasised my passion and love for the sport and how much I wanted to get everyone back up to the front, including myself."

There have been some strong weekends, too, especially Canada, where Ricciardo qualified a brilliant fourth, splitting the Ferraris and ahead of both Red Bulls.

"Through some of these struggles, it has been really quite positive for me this year, and it's really driven me to want more from it," he says. "That's been cool.

"And on an actual pure positive - Canada. We've had some lows but that high was for me like a pole position. There have been some moments that have lasted."

Reputation intact

In five years at Red Bull, the team were never consistent frontrunners, but Ricciardo took seven victories, and established a reputation as one of the sport's most exciting drivers, in addition to being possibly its most likeable and amusing character.

Most of his victories were outstanding, featuring drives through the field and audacious last-minute overtaking manoeuvres.

Ricciardo has inevitably faded slightly from the limelight this year, but the move to Renault has done nothing to damage his reputation as a driver.

He has comfortably out-paced his team-mate, German Nico Hulkenberg, who has out-qualified Ricciardo only four times in 14 races. This performance disparity will have made Renault's decision to release Hulkenberg and sign Frenchman Esteban Ocon for at least the next two years all the easier.

And while Ricciardo would obviously prefer to be further up, he says he is enjoying the intensity of the midfield fight.

"If anything, [qualifying] is tighter than last year," he says. "The battle a lot of the time was just me and Max [Verstappen], where this year it's all the midfield. So that's definitely getting the blood flow going. I am enjoying the driving."

Why have Renault gone backwards?

As for the car's performance, Renault think they know what has gone wrong this year.

Their strong performance at tracks such as Canada, and the past two races in Belgium and Italy, all 'power circuits', have emphasised that the French manufacturer has finally made a good step forward with its engine after years of underperformance. The issue now is the car.

Ricciardo says: "It seems when I speak to the team, the base of the car, the fundamentals, the base direction, has limited us. So we developed it a little bit but it's reached, I don't want to say its peak, but it can't really be developed that much more with this philosophy.

"So, as far as now looking at next year, it seems like they want to change the whole aerodynamic philosophy of the car. Instead of focusing on this part of the car, say the middle part, and trying to generate as much downforce in the middle, it's like, no, we need to focus on the front.

"It seems like it might be more difficult at first, but in the bigger picture we'd be getting more downforce 'points', as we call it, from that."

This sounds very much like Renault have done what Ferrari have done this year - pursued an aerodynamic philosophy that looks better initially, but which limits overall downforce; in contrast to Mercedes, whose car was harder to get working initially, but is better in the end.

For Ricciardo, then, a lot hangs on Renault getting that right. If they can make their new direction work, and take a big step forward, Ricciardo may well stay. If they can't, they fear he would leave.

This was emphasised by Renault Sport managing director Cyril Abiteboul, when he said recently that signing Ocon "wasn't just about 2020, but also 2021 and what's happening to his team-mate".

Does Ricciardo think Abiteboul suspects he might be looking for pastures new for 2021?

"I definitely haven't made any decisions yet," Ricciardo says. "I haven't had this discussion with Cyril. I don't want to speak for him, but he's frustrated with this year.

"I think part of him feels like - I don't want to say [he feels] he's let us down, but we did expect to do better.

"When we chatted last year, there were higher hopes for this year. We're confident next year is going to be a lot better, but he's thinking probably: 'If it doesn't go [better], why would Daniel want to stay?' That's probably where his head's at and that's probably where those comments come from.

"It's him just being brutally honest with himself and wanting to do better and wanting the team to do better - to basically keep me and any other assets."

The contracts of most top drivers come up for renewal at the end of 2020. Along with Ricciardo, Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari, both Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, and Red Bull's Max Verstappen are all on the market next year.

"So next year, what would I need to see?" he asks rhetorically. "Obviously improvements - not just from one position to the next, but solid improvements that actually we could realistically fight for a podium at some point next year. That would be very encouraging and motivating for everyone.

"I know we're still a long way off that but I still believe it's in reach. I don't think we're dreamers; we just have to clean up a few things. I still look back at Canada - if we can qualify fourth at the seventh race of the season, I still believe anything's possible with these guys."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49664183

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ovisi o tome gde su i kako su koristili taj sistem. Ako se dokaže da su koristili, a Reno prizna, sleduje im anuliranje svih poena u poretku konstruktora koje su stekli do sada (a naravno vrate se na ručni sistem podešavanja od recimo Meksika ili SADa). No ako su taj sistem koristili na svega par trka i prilože dokaze FIA, možda im se anuliraju bodovi samo na tim trkama.

Ili im ostave poene netaknute a rebnu ih dobro po novčaniku.

Naravno, sve zavisi od toka istrage...

According to Auto Motor und Sport, Racing Point managed to identify the case because of a personnel change. The engineer who flagged the problem up previously worked on Hulkenberg's car. The engineer switched teams during the summer break. 

Propevao mamicu mu...

What did Renault do wrong? Why it was disqualified from the Japanese GP

With the FIA’s ruling on the protest in Japan about Renault’s brake bias system, we now have a slightly clearer picture of just what – and, more crucially, was not – on the car there.

Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Hülkenberg have been disqualified from their respective sixth and 10th place finishes in Suzuka for what the FIA considered to be a breach of the sporting regulations. The FIA stewards found that although the Renault brake bias adjusting system took advantage of ‘innovative solutions to exploit certain ambiguities’ it did not actually constitute a breach of the technical regulations.

A breach of the technical regulations – in essence fielding an illegal car – is invariably considered to be a more severe crime than a breach of the way you are operating the car (ie, the sporting regulations).

So what we now know is that the system was not pre-set and not lap distance-dependent, which is what the protest from the rival Racing Point team alleged. The implication of that would have been some sort of GPS-guided map within the system that identified which part of the track the car was at and automatically altered the brake bias accordingly.

We now this that this was not the case. Such a system would definitely have contravened the technical regulations. The ideal brake bias setting varies from corner to corner as the aerodynamic forces and aerodynamic front-rear balance changes – and this is normally covered by the driver making the appropriate switch changes on the steering wheel between corners.

The system Renault was using in Suzuka appeared to spare the driver from having to make an individual adjustment for each corner – as was revealed by in-car footage of the Renaults which showed the bias number changing without any apparent input from the driver. This falls foul of the sporting reg insisting that the driver drive the car alone and unaided.

But if the stewards have found that the system was neither pre-set nor lap distance-dependent, it implies that the driver would still have to make some input to instruct the programme to activate. It didn’t automatically activate by the car’s positioning on the track, for example. This seems to have been the crucial distinction between a sporting offence and a technical one.

In wake of the disqualification Renault released a statement which included the following: “Considering the subjectivity of the qualification of a system as a driver aid and the variability of the associated penalties in recent cases, Renault F1 Team will consider its next course of action within the timeframe laid out by the FIA.”

All things considered, we should probably expect this to be the end of the matter.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/what-did-renault-do-wrong-why-it-was-disqualified-japanese-gp

Edited by alpiner

Nije mi jasno zasto se tripuju da bi bio potreban GPS za ovo... Zar ne bi bilo dosta jednostavno meriti predjenu kilometrazu? Znas duzinu kruga, znas rastojanje do svake krivine u krugu, znas koliku si duzinu presao, resetujes na liniji start/cilj svaki put - nije neka velika filozofija.

3 hours ago, Radoye said:

Nije mi jasno zasto se tripuju da bi bio potreban GPS za ovo... Zar ne bi bilo dosta jednostavno meriti predjenu kilometrazu? Znas duzinu kruga, znas rastojanje do svake krivine u krugu, znas koliku si duzinu presao, resetujes na liniji start/cilj svaki put - nije neka velika filozofija.

I onda izleti u jednom krugu, siroko, i pred sledecu krivinu (a nije presao start/cilj liniju) dobije pogresan setting i izleti opet zbog toga... mozda sada u gume. 

Da, moze da se stavi neko reset dugme koje bi rucno aktivirao vozac, da mu se ne bi desilo da dobije pogresan setting, pa da ceka start/cilj da opet krene ciklus, ali onda opet ima deo kruga kada ima neki setting na koji nije navikao u toj krivini. 

Ovako GPS pozicija skroz resi problem. 

Ma jasno je da je GPS efikasnije resenje ali ako je ono bas zestoko protiv slova pravila ovo bi bio jednostavniji nacin da se postigne ista stvar a sasvim je pasivan sistem / ne dobija nikakve informacije "spolja" pa se moze diskutovati o legalnosti (da li je protiv "duha" pravila ako i nije protiv slova).

6 minutes ago, Radoye said:

Ma jasno je da je GPS efikasnije resenje ali ako je ono bas zestoko protiv slova pravila ovo bi bio jednostavniji nacin da se postigne ista stvar a sasvim je pasivan sistem / ne dobija nikakve informacije "spolja" pa se moze diskutovati o legalnosti (da li je protiv "duha" pravila ako i nije protiv slova).

Pa sa te tacke gledanja na stvar ne vidim razliku izmedju GPS-a i resetovanja pozicije start/cilj linijom - oba su spoljni input. 

GPS podatke svakako koriste. A i linije koriste (za DRS zone)... 

• Like 1

U Rendži opet promena na vrhu sklonjen je i poslednji Ghosnov čovek Thierry Bollore dosadašnji CEO. Privremeno je postavljena Clotilde Delbos dosadašnji finansijski direktor

Ceo program oko F1 dolazi pod lupu...

All aspects of the business -- including Renault's longtime, high-profile participation in Formula One motor racing -- are being examined, interim CEO Clotilde Delbos told analysts on Friday.

F1 motor racing, a pet project of Ghosn's that costs Renault millions of dollars to fund each year, is among everything being looked at, though it is not being targeted, she said.

Edited by alpiner