Disney

On 7/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, Milenko Puzigaca said:

Auu, hvala za temu, zahvaljujući tebi imam gde da istresem svoju iracionalnu ljubav prema Dizniju koju gajim u srednjim 20im 🙈

P.S. Obožavam ovaj film i ovu izvedbu, verovatno najmoćnija pesma za jednu Disney princezu.

E sad, nedavno sam odgledala jednu od novijih Disney trilogija (franšiza) - Z-O-M-B-I-E-S. Poslednjih godina su se jako naložili na temu negativaca (pr. trilogija Descendants), a ovom su zašli i na teritoriju čudovišta. Što se mene tiče vrlo kul odrađeni filmovi - catchy pesme (Disney tu nema konkurenciju), odlične koreografije i nova mlada lica koja ćemo u budućnosti sigurno videti i u Holivudu (neverovatna hemija između glavnih likova, koje tumače Meg Donnelly i Milo Manheim). Plot je potpuno besmislen ali pošto provejava socijalna inkluzija kao glavna tema, sasvim je ok da se pusti klincima, a nije sramota da i mi malo matoriji pogledamo 🙃

It is not about perfect, it's about progress which means we'll always welcome the unexpected.

Edited by DameTime
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Lin Manuel Miranda je genije, svaka pesma u Enkantu je kao jedan opasan pop latino hit. Zna da spakuje (Hamilton je tek bio vrh).

Mada verujem da se ide i na neku 'nostalgicnost', onaj osecaj kao da si tu pesmu vec cuo. Npr. prvi deo We don't talk about Bruno mi strasno vuce na Oye como va, a za I have a dream (Tangled) bih se zakleo da je neki Monti Pajton.

(da, da, cerka drzi daljinski u kuci 🤣)

Fan-baiting: the toxic culture of Hollywood progressives

A relatively recent phenomenon, it stems from the 2016 all-female remake of Ghostbusters. The film was a disaster. Everything about it was a failure, from the lazy, lacklustre plot, to the cringe-inducing jokes, and the forgetful and utterly incompetent performances of the cast. Yet all the media seemed to care about was the gender of the actors involved. They didn’t seem to care that the movie was poorly written, horribly acted, and produced by a creative team that lacked both the motivation and intellectual capacity to pay attention to what made the original so entertaining in the first place. All that mattered to them was showering praise on a film that proved women can be as tough and resourceful as men. They were blissfully unaware that more than forty years have passed since Sigourney Weaver played possibly the strongest female lead in cinematic history.

The worst offenders have to be Disney. Captain Marvel is a particularly egregious example. The 2019 film stars Brie Larson as a superhero endowed with special powers that make her invincible. As any creative writing student will tell you, this is not how you craft a compelling story. The hero’s journey is a common narrative within the structure of storytelling. It charts how a character overcomes adversity, deals with loss, and emerges transformed at the end. With no meaningful conflict or struggle from which our protagonist can learn and grow, there is no character development. If you dare to point this out, Hollywood doesn’t want you or your chauvinist friends to watch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1970 to 1988 is often referred to as Disney's "Dark Age."

During the "Dark Age," Disney's animated films were mostly critical and commercial failures.

Then, in the late 1980s, a story consultant named Chris Vogler wrote a 7-page memo that helped spur "The Disney Renaissance."

In 1978, Chris Vogler was a film student at USC. For one of his classes, Vogler was reading "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" by the mythologist Joseph Campbell.

That year, the first Star Wars movie was released. Vogler saw it in the theaters, and he was almost certain Star Wars was putting Campell’s ideas to work.

Vogler distilled Campbell’s complex ideas into a term paper that identified how George Lucas was using mythic elements throughout Star Wars.

A few years later, Vogler was hired as a story consultant at Disney where "memos were a big part of the corporate identity...following the example of [CEO, Jeffrey] Katzenberg, an absolute master [of "the memo art form"].

So Vogler adapted that term paper into a 7-page memo, in which he outlined “the twelve stages of the hero’s journey.”

The hero's journey, Vogler summarizes, goes like this:

The hero is introduced in his ORDINARY WORLD where...

The hero receives the CALL TO ADVENTURE.

The hero, reluctant at first, REFUSES THE CALL.

The hero MEETS A MENTOR and is encouraged to CROSS THE THRESHOLD where...

The hero encounters TESTS, ALLIES, and ENEMIES. 

The hero reaches the INNERMOST CAVE where he endures the SUPREME ORDEAL.

The hero SEIZES THE SWORD or the treasure and...

The hero starts to take THE ROAD BACK. Along the way...

The hero is RESURRECTED and transformed by their experience, and then...

The hero RETURNS to his ordinary world with a TREASURE, BOON or ELIXIR to benefit their world.

Vogler's memo was read by CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. 

Katzenberg made it required reading for everyone in the company, and then, he sent Vogler to work with the Animation team working on "King of the Jungle"—what would become "The Lion King."

On a corkboard, the team pinned the storyboard for "The Lion King," "with the twelve stages of the Hero's Journey clearly marked as signposts."

Using this 12-step program as a roadmap, "The Lion King" was released in 1994 and became the most successful animated film ever, and for a while, the most profitable film in history.

Takeaway 1: 

The comedian Hasan Minhaj likes to say that his job is to distill coffee into espresso:

"My job is to distill coffee into espresso...to take complicated things and make it simple so people can walk away after twenty minutes with a clear take and perspective.”

Vogler wasn't the first to come across Joseph Campbell's complex ideas. He was the first to distill them into a practical guide for storytellers.

Takeaway 2: 

Vogler was right. George Lucas did indeed read Joseph Campbell before bending the story of Luke Skywalker to follow the twelve steps of the hero’s journey. 

In fact, Lucas calls Campbell his Yoda. Not just him. Not just Star Wars. Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Harry Potter, Mulan, Moana,...

Once you know the 12 steps, you see the hero with a thousand faces everywhere.

---

“There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before.” — Willa Cather