Vintage

Cyber

"Danny Boy" is a ballad, written by English songwriter Frederic Weatherly in 1913, and set to the traditional Irish melody of "Londonderry Air".

In 1910, in Bath, Somerset, the English lawyer and lyricist Frederic Weatherly initially wrote the words to "Danny Boy" to a tune other than "Londonderry Air". After his Irish-born sister-in-law Margaret Enright Weatherly (known as Jess) in the United States sent him a copy of "Londonderry Air" in 1913 (an alternative version of the story has her singing the air to him in 1912 with different lyrics), Weatherly modified the lyrics of "Danny Boy" to fit the rhyme and meter of "Londonderry Air"

• Like 1

Jel' bilo vec ovo?

"Over the Rainbow" is a ballad composed by Harold Arlen with lyrics by Yip Harburg. It was written for the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and was sung by actress Judy Garland in her starring role as Dorothy Gale. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song and became Garland's signature song.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Saturday Night Fish Fry" is a jump blues song written by Louis Jordan and Ellis Lawrence Walsh, best known through the version recorded by Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five. While the origins of rock and roll are disputed, some have suggested that the song may indeed be the first rock 'n roll record. The song does contain elements that would be used in rock 'n roll such as electric guitar, a brisk tempo and "a mix of the bass" that would be common in the later genre.

Saturday night fish fries were a New Orleans tradition (dating back several decades, but particularly popular during the Prohibition era) of piano parties, or rent parties, at which a pianist played and visitors donated as much money as they could afford; the beer flowed freely, with plenty of potato salad and (of course) fried fish. The sponsor would hang a red kerosene lamp on the gate so everyone would know it was a fish fry.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Lyrics

Oh where oh where can my baby be
The Lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven so I got to be good
So I can see my baby when I leave this world

We were out on a date in my daddy's car
We hadn't driven very far
There in the road straight up ahead
A car was stalled the engine was dead
I couldn't stop so I swerved to the right
I'll never forget the sound that night
The screaming tires the busting glass
The painful scream that I heard last

Oh where oh where can my baby be
The Lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven so I got to be good
So I can see my baby when I leave this world

When I woke up the rain was pouring down
There were people standing all around
Something warm flowing through my eyes
But somehow I found my baby that night
I lifted her head she looked at me and said
Hold me darling just a little while
I held her close I kissed her our last kiss
I found the love that I knew i have missed
Well now she's gone even though I hold her tight
I lost my love my life that night

Woah, woah, woah, woah

Ohh, ohh, ohh, ohh

Wayne Cochran The singer-songwriter released his original version of "Last Kiss" in 1961, and it went on to become a number-two hit in two cover versions. J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers released their take in 1964, and when Pearl Jam released their version as a Christmas single in 1998, the song went back up the charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jel' smo vec radili ovo?

"Boom Boom" is a song written by American blues singer and guitarist John Lee Hooker and recorded in 1961. The song is one of Hooker's most identifiable and enduring songs and "among the tunes that every band on the [early 1960s UK] R&B circuit simply had to play". It has been recorded by numerous blues and other artists, including a 1965 North American hit by the Animals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"A Hazy Shade of Winter" is a song by American music duo Simon & Garfunkel, released on October 22, 1966, initially as a stand-alone single, but subsequently included on the duo's fourth studio album, Bookends (1968). It peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100.

• 3 weeks later...