Vintage

Cyber

You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. In the second act of the musical, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, falls on his knife and dies after a failed robbery attempt. It is reprised in the final scene to encourage a graduation class of which Louise (Billy and Julie's daughter) is a member. The now invisible Billy, who has been granted the chance to return to Earth for one day in order to redeem himself, watches the ceremony and is able to silently motivate the unhappy Louise to join in the song.

The song is also sung at association football clubs around the world, where it is performed by a massed chorus of supporters on match day; this tradition developed at Liverpool F.C. after the chart success of the 1963 single of the song by the local Liverpool group Gerry and the Pacemakers.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" is a popular American song which debuted in 1918 and was first published in 1919, since when it has been a hit song for several artists over the years. It is also the anthem of English Premier League club West Ham.

• Like 1

"Love Letters in the Sand" is a popular song first published in 1931. The music was written by J. Fred Coots and the lyrics by Nick Kenny and Charles Kenny. Ted Black and His Orchestra, with vocalist Tom Brown, had the first major hit recording of the song in 1931.

>>>

The song was "inspired" by an 1881 composition, "The Spanish Cavalier" by William D. Hendrickson.

Ne secam se jel' vec bilo ovo?

Mamãe Eu Quero (English: Mom, I want it) is a 1937 Brazilian song composed by Vicente Paiva and Jararaca, and is one of the most famous Brazilian songs. The original recording was made by one of the composers, Jararaca, in 1937 and recorded on Odeon Records.

• Like 2

"All the Things You Are" is a song composed by Jerome Kern with lyrics written by Oscar Hammerstein II. The song was written for the musical Very Warm for May (1939) and was introduced by Hiram Sherman, Frances Mercer, Hollace Shaw, and Ralph Stuart. It appeared in the film Broadway Rhythm (1944) when it was sung by Ginny Simms, and again in the Kern biopic Till the Clouds Roll By (1946), sung by Tony Martin.

>>>

• Like 1

Fly me the Moon

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on
A-Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby, kiss me

Fill my heart with song and let me sing forevermore
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing forevermore
You are all I long for, all I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words
In other words
I love you

"Fly Me to the Moon", originally titled "In Other Words", is a song written in 1954 by Bart Howard. Kaye Ballard made the first recording of the song the year it was written. Frank Sinatra's 1964 version was closely associated with the Apollo missions to the Moon.

• Like 1

Stand by me

Spoiler

When the night has come

And the land is dark

And the moon is the only light we'll see

No I won't be afraid, oh I won't be afraid

Just as long as you stand, stand by me

So darlin', darlin', stand by me

Oh stand by me

Oh stand

Stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon

Should tumble and fall

Or the mountain should crumble to the sea

I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear

Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin', darlin' Stand by me, oh stand by me

Whoa, stand now

Stand by me, stand by me

Darlin', darlin', stand by me

Oh, stand by me

Oh, stand now

Stand by me, stand by me

Whenever you're in trouble, won't you stand by me?

Oh, stand by me

Whoa, just stand now

Oh, stand, stand by me

When all of your friends have gone

Spoiler

"Stand by Me" is a song originally performed in 1961 by American singer-songwriter Ben E. King and written by King, Jerry Leiber, and Mike Stoller. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead. The third line of the second verse of the former work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c. There have been over 400 recorded versions of the song, performed by many artists. It was featured on the soundtrack of the 1986 film Stand by Me, and a corresponding music video, featuring King along with actors River Phoenix and Wil Wheaton, was released to promote the film. In 2012 it was estimated that the song's royalties had topped $22.8 million (£17 million), making it the sixth highest-earning song as of its era. 50% of the royalties were paid to King. In 2015 King's original version was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress, as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", just under five weeks before his death. Later in the year, the 2015 line up of the Drifters recorded it in tribute. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Shadow of Your Smile

“The Shadow of Your Smile” – composed by Johnny Mandel with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster - debuted in the 1965 drama film, “The Sandpiper”, where the song and variations thereof served as the soundtrack.

Spoiler

One day we walked along the sand
One day in early spring
You held a piper in your hand
To mend its broken wing
Now I'll remember many a day
And many a lonely mile
The echo of a piper's song
The shadow of a smile

The shadow of your smile
When you are gone
Will color all my dreams
And light the dawn
Look into my eyes
My love and see
All the lovely things
You are to me

Our wistful little star
Was far too high
A teardrop kissed your lips
And so did I
Now when I remember spring
All the joy that love can bring
I will be remembering
The shadow of your smile

Spoiler

Edited by ControlFreak
Dodat spoiler

"I'm Just Wild About Harry" is a song written in 1921 with lyrics by Noble Sissle and music by Eubie Blake for the Broadway show Shuffle Along.

"I'm Just Wild About Harry" was the most popular number of the production, which was the first financially successful Broadway play to have African-American writers and an all African-American cast. The song broke what had been a taboo against musical and stage depictions of romantic love between African-Americans.

• Like 1

Maxine Sullivan

Spoiler

I'm gonna' love you, like nobody's loved you
Come rain or come shine
High as a mountain, deep as a river
Come rain or come shine

I guess when you met me
It was just one of those things
But don't you ever bet me
Cause' I'm gonna' be true if you let me

You're gonna' love me, like nobody's loved me
Come rain or come shine
We'll be happy together, unhappy together
Now won't that be fine

The days may be cloudy or sunny
We're in or out of the money
But I'm with you always
I'm with you rain or shine

Songwriters: Harold Arlen / Johnny Mercer

"Keep A-Knockin' (But You Can't Come In)" is a popular song that has been recorded by a variety of musicians over the years. The lyrics concern a lover at the door who will not be admitted; some versions because someone else is already there, but in most others because the knocking lover has behaved badly.

"Anything Goes" is a song written by Cole Porter for his musical Anything Goes (1934). Many of the lyrics include humorous references to figures of scandal and gossip from Depression-era high society. One couplet refers to Samuel Goldwyn's box-office failure Nana starring Anna Sten, whose English was said to be incomprehensible to all except Goldwyn. (Goldwyn was from Poland and Sten from Ukraine.)

"Those Were the Days" is a song credited to Gene Raskin, who put a new English lyric to the Russian romance song "Dorogoi dlinnoyu" [ru] ("Дорогой длинною", literally "By the long road"), composed by Boris Fomin (1900–1948) with words by the poet Konstantin Podrevsky.

>>>

• Like 1

Waltz for Debby is a live album by jazz pianist and composer Bill Evans and his trio consisting of Evans, bassist Scott LaFaro, and drummer Paul Motian. It was released in 1962. >>>

Bill Evans i najbolja svedska jazz pevacica ever → Monica Z

Iz doba kada su svirke na radiju isle uzivo ...

• 2 weeks later...

"Unchain My Heart" is a song written by Bobby Sharp and recorded first in 1961 by Ray Charles and in 1963 by Trini Lopez and later by many others. Sharp, a drug addict at the time, sold the song to Teddy Powell for $50. Powell demanded half the songwriting credit. Sharp later successfully fought for the rights to his song. In 1987, he was also able to renew the copyright for his publishing company, B. Sharp Music.

Edited by Radoye

• 3 weeks later...

"All the Things You Are" is a song composed by Jerome Kern with lyrics written by Oscar Hammerstein II. The song was written for the musical Very Warm for May (1939) and was introduced by Hiram Sherman, Frances Mercer, Hollace Shaw, and Ralph Stuart. It appeared in the film Broadway Rhythm (1944) when it was sung by Ginny Simms, and again in the Kern biopic Till the Clouds Roll By (1946), sung by Tony Martin.

>>>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Didn't It Rain", sometimes given as "Oh, Didn't It Rain", is an American gospel song. It originated as a Negro spiritual or work song, and appeared in sheet music for piano art song form in a 1919 arrangement by Henry Thacker Burleigh (1866–1949).

• 2 months later...

"All Around the World" is a 1955 hit song by Little Willie John written by Titus Turner. The song was the debut single and first hit for Little Willie John, and a hit in 1969 for Little Milton, renamed as "Grits Ain't Groceries".

"I Don't Need No Doctor" is an R&B song written by Nick Ashford, Valerie Simpson, and Jo Armstead. First released by Ashford on Verve in August 1966, it went nowhere. It was then picked up and recorded by Ray Charles and released in October 1966.

Jel' bilo vec ovo?

"Stardust" is a jazz song composed by American singer, songwriter and musician Hoagy Carmichael. Now considered a standard and part of the Great American Songbook, the song has been recorded over 1,500 times either as an instrumental or vocal track, featuring different performers and has been translated into 40 languages. The Encyclopædia Britannica has defined it as "one of the most renowned and most recorded standards in all of American music".

"Top of the World" is a 1972 song written and composed by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis and first recorded by American pop duo Carpenters. It was a Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 hit for the duo for two consecutive weeks in 1973.

• Like 1

"Sweet Georgia Brown" is a jazz standard and pop tune composed in 1925 by Ben Bernie and Maceo Pinkard, with lyrics by Kenneth Casey.

Reportedly, Ben Bernie came up with the concept for the song's lyrics – although he is not the credited lyricist – after meeting Dr. George Thaddeus Brown in New York City. Dr. Brown, a longtime member of the Georgia State House of Representatives, told Bernie about his daughter, Georgia Brown, and how subsequent to the baby girl's birth on August 11, 1911, the Georgia General Assembly had issued a declaration that she was to be named Georgia after the state. This anecdote would be directly referenced by the song's lyric: "Georgia claimed her – Georgia named her."

• Like 1