Vintage

Cyber

"At Last" is a song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for the musical film Sun Valley Serenade (1941).

>>>

The song became Etta James's signature song and was the third in a string of successful songs from her Argo Records debut album (Argo LP 4003, mono; LPS 4003, stereo) At Last!..

>>>

The 1942 RCA Victor studio recording of "At Last" by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra featuring Ray Eberle on vocals was released as a U.S. Army V-Disc or Victory Disc by the U.S. War Department during World War II in October 1943 as No. 12A.V-Discs were sent to American soldiers and military personnel overseas.

>>>

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" is a 1936 song, with music and lyrics by Louis Prima, who first recorded it with the New Orleans Gang. Brunswick Records released it on February 28, 1936 on the 78 rpm record format, with "It's Been So Long" as the B-side. The song is strongly identified with the big band and swing eras. Several have performed the piece as an instrumental, including Fletcher Henderson and, most famously, Benny Goodman.

• Like 4

E, uze mi reč iz usta!

Never mind, evo malo Marlenke …

"Lili Marleen" (also spelled "Lili Marlen", "Lilli Marlene", "Lily Marlene", "Lili Marlène" among others […] is a German love song which became popular during World War II throughout Europe and the Mediterranean among both Axis and Allied troops. Written in 1915 as a poem, the song was published in 1937 and was first recorded by Lale Andersen in 1939 as "Das Mädchen unter der Laterne" ("The Girl under the Lantern").

>>>

English version 

• Like 4

"Caldonia" is a jump blues song, first recorded in 1945 by Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five. A version by Erskine Hawkins, also in 1945, was described by Billboard magazine as "right ryhthmic rock and roll music".

The Blues Foundation states that "Louis Jordan was the biggest African-American star of his era and that his "Caldonia" reached "the top of the Race Records chart, as it was known prior to the introduction of term Rhythm & Blues in 1949".

• Like 1

"Ya Mustafa" also spelled "Ya Mustapha" (in Arabic يا مصطفى), is a well-known multilingual song from Egypt, composed by famous Egyptian Musician Mohamed Fawzi and which has been recorded in many different languages. Several different versions, including parodies, have been recorded. The song first became popular in Europe with the help of the Egyptian singer Bob Azzam, who released it in 1960 in France.

Kad smo vec kod Sakamota:

"Ue o Muite Arukō" (上を向いて歩こう, "I Look Up as I Walk", alternatively titled "Sukiyaki") is a song recorded by Japanese crooner Kyu Sakamoto, first released in Japan in 1961. The song topped the charts in several countries, including on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1963. The song grew to become one of the world's best-selling singles of all time, selling over 13 million copies worldwide.

"Autumn Leaves" is a popular song and jazz standard composed by Joseph Kosma with original lyrics by Jacques Prévert in French (original French title: "Les Feuilles Mortes"), and later by Johnny Mercer in English. An instrumental version by pianist Roger Williams was a number one best-seller in the US Billboard charts of 1955. >>>

• Like 3

Fréhel born Marguerite Boulc'h; (13 July 1891 – 3 February 1951) was a French singer and actress. >>>

Ovde se naziru obrisi jedinstvene Edith Piaf, naslednice ”chanteuses réalistes”

"Padam, padam..." is a song originally released in 1951 by Édith Piaf. It was written for her by Henri Contet (lyrics) and Norbert Glanzberg (music). >>>

Edited by Cyber
  • Like 1

"Ne me quitte pas" ("Don't leave me") is a 1959 song by Belgian singer-songwriter Jacques Brel. It has been covered in the original French by many artists and has also been translated into and performed in many other languages.

>>>

Nisam znala da je prevedena na skoro 30 jezika. Ali sam citala da se ova pesma racuna kao revolucionarna jer demonstrira maskulinu neznost a sto je bilo nevidjeno u ono doba u zemlji gde muskarci nisu smeli da placu. Pesma je, kazu, izazvala revolt kod mnogih. Edith Piaf je pesmu ocenila kao totalni nedostatak viriliteta. However, to je Brelova najprodavanija pesma.

• Love 1

"Misirlou" (Greek: Μισιρλού < Turkish: Mısırlı 'Egyptian' < Arabic: مصر‎ Miṣr 'Egypt') is a folk song from the Eastern Mediterranean region, with origins in the Ottoman Empire. The original author of the song is not known, but Arabic, Greek and Jewish musicians were playing it by the 1920s. The earliest known recording of the song is a 1927 Greek rebetiko/tsifteteli composition influenced by Middle Eastern music. There are also Arabic belly dancing, Armenian, Persian, Indian and Turkish versions of the song. This song was popular from the 1920s onwards in the Arab American, Armenian American and Greek American communities who settled in the United States.

"Darktown Strutters' Ball" is a popular song by Shelton Brooks, published in 1917. The song has been recorded many times and is considered a popular and jazz standard. There are many variations of the title, including "At the Darktown Strutters' Ball", "The Darktown Strutters' Ball", and just "Strutters' Ball".

"Stormy Weather" is a 1933 torch song written by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler. Ethel Waters first sang it at The Cotton Club night club in Harlem in 1933 and recorded it that year, and in the same year it was sung in London by Elisabeth Welch and recorded by Frances Langford. Also 1933, for the first time in history the entire floor revue from Harlem's Cotton Club went on tour, playing theatres in principal cities.

>>>

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Tiger Rag" is a jazz standard that was recorded and copyrighted by the Original Dixieland Jass Band in 1917. It is one of the most recorded jazz compositions. In 2003, the 1918 recording of "Tiger Rag" was entered into the U.S. Library of Congress National Recording Registry.

"My Babe" is a Chicago blues song and a blues standard written by Willie Dixon for Little Walter. Released in 1955 on Checker Records, a subsidiary of Chess Records, the song was the only Dixon composition ever to become a number one R&B single and it was one of the biggest hits of either of their careers.

Dixon based "My Babe" on the traditional gospel song "This Train (Is Bound For Glory)", recorded by Sister Rosetta Tharpe as "This Train". He reworked the arrangement and lyrics from the sacred (the procession of saints into Heaven) into the secular (a story about a woman that won't stand for her man's cheating): "My baby, she don't stand no cheating, my babe, she don't stand none of that midnight creeping."

"Midnight Special" is a traditional folk song thought to have originated among prisoners in the American South. The song refers to the passenger train Midnight Special and its "ever-loving light" (sometimes "ever-living light").

The song is historically performed in the country-blues style from the viewpoint of the prisoner and has been covered by many artists.

Harry Belafonte's 1962 version is notable for containing the first official recording of Bob Dylan, who played harmonica.

"Am I Blue?" is a song copyrighted by Harry Akst (music) and Grant Clarke (lyrics) in 1929 and then featured in four films that year, most notably with Ethel Waters in the movie On with the Show. It has appeared in 42 movies, most recently Funny Lady and The Cotton Club, and has become a standard covered by numerous artists.

>>>

• Like 2

Peggy Lee recorded this American Blues and Jazz-influenced Pop song on July 27, 1942 in New York with Benny Goodman. It was Lee's first hit single, selling over 1 million copies and bringing her to national attention. The song was written in 1936 by Kansas Joe McCoy, who originally recorded it as "The Weed Smoker's Dream." McCoy later rewrote the song, refining the composition and changing the lyrics entirely. The new version was titled "Why Don't You Do Right?" and was recorded by Lil Green in 1941.

>>>

• Love 1

"Sixteen Tons" is a song written by Merle Travis about a coal miner, based on life in mines in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. Travis first recorded the song at the Radio Recorders Studio B in Hollywood, California, on August 8, 1946. Cliffie Stone played bass on the recording. It was first released in July 1947 by Capitol on Travis's album Folk Songs of the Hills. The song became a gold record.

The line "You load sixteen tons and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt" came from a letter written by Travis's brother John. Another line came from their father, a coal miner, who would say: "I can't afford to die. I owe my soul to the company store."

• Like 2

"Begin the Beguine" is a popular song written by Cole Porter. Porter composed the song between Kalabahi, Indonesia, and Fiji during a 1935 Pacific cruise aboard Cunard's ocean liner Franconia. In October 1935, it was introduced by June Knight in the Broadway musical Jubilee, produced at the Imperial Theatre in New York City. Beguine is a dance and music form, similar to a slow rhumba.

• Like 1

"Just a Gigolo" is a popular song, adapted by Irving Caesar into English in 1929 from the Austrian tango "Schöner Gigolo, armer Gigolo", composed in 1928 in Vienna by Leonello Casucci to lyrics written in 1924 by Julius Brammer.

"I Ain't Got Nobody" (sometimes referred to as "I'm So Sad and Lonely" or "I Ain't Got Nobody Much") is a popular song copyrighted in 1915. Roger A. Graham (1885–1938) wrote the lyrics, Spencer Williams composed it, and Roger Graham Music Publishing published it. It was first recorded by Marion Harris, and became a perennial standard, recorded many times over following generations, in styles ranging from pop to jazz to country music.

I onda:

"Sanie cu zurgălăi" (Romanian for "Sleigh with bells") is a Romanian language song composed in 1936 by Jewish-Romanian composer Richard Stein. Romanian language lyrics were written by Liviu Deleanu. The song was recorded in 1937 by Silvian Florin and by Petre Alexandru. The song was later covered and re-arranged by numerous musicians in different languages.

• Like 1

St. James Infirmary Blues", sometimes known as "Gambler's Blues", is often regarded as an American folk song of anonymous origin. Louis Armstrong made the song famous in his 1928 recording on which Don Redman was credited as composer; later releases gave the name Joe Primrose, a pseudonym of Irving Mills. The melody is 8 bars long, unlike songs in the classic blues genre, where there are 12 bars.