NFL - Season 2019

Xpert

Za fellow Pats fanove sa prvog treninga utisci

Napad:

Spoiler
  • First-round pick N’Keal Harry made a strong first impression. Physically, he just looks different on the field with a degree of athleticism after the catch and the way he can control his body in the air. That’s a lot of praise for a wide receiver after his first NFL practice, without pads or much contact, in front of the media, and he also didn’t do anything with Brady, who isn’t expected to arrive until minicamp in two weeks. But Harry distinguished himself physically, and that’s the best way to evaluate a rookie receiver at this stage of the calendar.
  • Harry had a team-high five receptions in team drills – one from Brian Hoyer and two each from Danny Etling and Jarrett Stidham – along with a team-high 10 targets. It got to a point, especially with Etling and Stidham, that Harry was winning his routes decisively enough that the pair of young quarterbacks were constantly looking his way. The highlight of the day came on a perfectly executed back-shoulder fade for a touchdown from Stidham. They connected to beat cornerback J.C. Jackson, who otherwise had a terrific practice and was in good enough position to make it a challenging hookup. Harry also made a nice catch in traffic by beating cornerback Joejuan Williams and edge rusher Keionta Davis in traffic for a TD. Harry didn’t have as much run with Hoyer, but the two connected on a screen on the second competitive pass of the day. Harry also cruised past Williams on a crossing route from the right slot and made a diving touchdown catch against cornerback Keion Crossen.
  • You’re probably wondering how Harry could have such a strong day while also being the target on five incompletions. He did have a drop with Jackson in relatively close coverage, so that was a blemish. Otherwise, Etling sailed a pair of throws in his direction, and Harry beat Jackson to the left side of the end zone before Stidham shanked the throw. Jackson blanketed Harry for the other incompletion from Stidham, who probably shouldn’t have attempted that pass.
  • Hoyer was 9 of 13 with an interception in team drills, and he completed passes to Julian Edelman (two), James White (two), Phillip Dorsett (two), Harry (one), Rex Burkhead (one) and Maurice Harris (one).
  • Etling, who worked as the second-string QB, was 6 of 12 with completions to Harry (two), Edelman (one), Ben Watson (one), Matt LaCosse (one) and Burkhead (one). Etling and Watson connected for one of the best throws of the practice, a high touchdown in traffic over the middle. Watson beat linebacker Ja’Whaun Bentley for the score. Etling got off to a good start before misfiring on his last five throws.
  • Stidham was 5 of 13 with an interception during the full-team portion of the practice with completions to Harry (two), Brandon Bolden (one), Braxton Berrios (one) and LaCosse (one). Stidham was also 4 of 11 during the “opportunity time” period with fellow rookies at the end of practice. The rookie had a mixed bag of a day, as he was burnt by a Harry drop, got a bit overwhelmed with pressure in the backfield to rush his throws in the second period, including one that was broken up by Williams, and was then off a bit in his final two periods. Williams intercepted his final pass of the regular portion of practice in the end zone.
  • Joe Thuney was the surprise starter at left tackle. He has collegiate experience at the position, but it’s too early to know if he’ll be the actual backup or if this was more of an emergency situation with starter Isaiah Wynn still rehabbing his torn Achilles and Jared Veldheer’s sudden retirement this week. Cole Croston was the backup swing tackle during the practice.
  • With Thuney at tackle, Brian Schwenke was the starting left guard over Ted Karras. Schwenke had an early-season jump on Karras in 2018 before his foot injury, but Karras finished the season strong. Considering the media didn’t watch the first two practices and also won’t witness the next two, it’s possible this is a rotational situation with this being Schwenke’s day, rather than a change on the depth chart. It’s something to monitor throughout OTAs and minicamp.
  • During wide receiver drills, the individual order was typically Edelman, Dorsett, Dontrelle Inman then Harry. Inman’s timing was off with the team-drill portion of practice, though. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Harry overtakes Inman early in training camp, if not sooner. It’ll be especially interesting to see how Harry performs with Brady if given the opportunity in two weeks.
  • Aside from Harry’s drop, Edelman and Damien Harris each had one as well.

Odbrana i ST:

Spoiler
  • Jamie Collins primarily worked at outside linebacker, and he was in the offensive backfield quite a bit. Again, there’s no pads or contact so it’s not huge news, but Collins was as disruptive as anyone in the front seven. Collins and rookie defensive end Chase Winovich each recorded a sack.
  • Derek Rivers got a lot of starting reps on the edge. Rivers and Adam Butler were each sent on penalty laps for jumping offside.
  • Butler had an eventful stretch, dropping into coverage to surprise Hoyer with an interception that he then gleefully returned 100 yards for a touchdown. That closed Hoyer’s period a throw early. And on the first throw of Hoyer’s next period, Butler batted it at the line.
  • Joejuan Williams had an interception and a pass breakup. Ditto for Butler. J.C. Jackson added a pass breakup, too.
  • Jason McCourty started at cornerback opposite of Stephon Gilmore.
  • Williams had a couple loud plays, but he also got beat three times. Phillip Dorsett beat him for a touchdown, and Harry got him good on two occasions.
  • Gilmore didn’t allow a catch on two targets (Edelman and Dorsett).
  • Obi Melifonwu had nice coverage on an incompletion from Etling to Watson.

ST

• There weren’t any kick or punt return team periods, but there were sessions during individual periods. Kick returners included Ryan Davis, Maurice Harris, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett and someone wearing No. 72. (No, it wasn’t 6-foot-9 offensive tackle Dan Skipper.) Punt returners included Julian Edelman, Berrios, Dorsett, N’Keal Harry, Davis, Rex Burkhead and No. 72.
  • Punter Jake Bailey practiced a few kickoffs on a side field.

• Like 1

Raidersi na kraju potpisaše Incognita. Gruden dominira.

A mlađi brat rekao da Hard Knocks treba da bude u Oaklandu, a u Washingtonu može 2020. Kad mu rekoše da playoff ekipe ne mogu u Hard Knocks, kaže lik da sigurno neće biti tu ako ne uđu u playoff. Hvala nebu na Grudenima.

Osim toga, Chris Harris je potpisao novi ugovor za Denver, takav da ne znam da se ovo ikada dogodilo. Nije uopšte produžio, nego je lik uspeo da podigne svoju godišnju platu i to bazu. U principu, čovek je obezbedio veću platu, pa sledeće godine u free agency, a Denver se obezbedio da može i dalje da ga trejduje tokom sezone bez velikih novčanih posledica u slučaju da im ne krene sezona kako treba. Win-win za Harrisa, a za Denver zavisi od rezultata. Mislim da bi ga već trejdovali u KC da nisu u istoj diviziji, ovako su možda samo prolongirali.

Pats Day 1 Offense

Offense

Brady completed 17 of 23 passes during competitive team drills. He completed passes to James White (four), Julian Edelman (three), Maurice Harris (three), Stephen Anderson (two), Damien Harris (two), N’Keal Harry, James Develin and Rex Burkhead (one each).

Given the lack of familiarity with some of the newer acquisitions at receiver and tight end, it probably shouldn’t be a shock Brady completed eight passes to running backs.

Midway through practice, there were two noncompetitive periods of team drills when the offense moved close to full speed while the defense dialed it back. It seemed as though that was more of an instructional period for the offense.

The chemistry between Brady and Harry will be under the microscope for the foreseeable future, and they got off to a skittish start in minicamp. Brady was just 1-of-4 when targeting Harry. Stephon Gilmore got away with a hold of Harry during a crossing route that was too far in front of the rookie receiver. Two plays later, Harry failed to make a one-handed catch against Gilmore on a deep ball down the left sideline. Harry did beat Gilmore later on an out-breaking route by the left sideline. And finally, Harry did a nice job to sell out and make a diving grab on the final throw of the workout, but he was out of bounds. Harry was unhappy with himself over the play, saying afterward he needs to do a better job of executing.

There were two promising developments here, though. First, Harry got a lot of work with the starters, and those quality opportunities are never promised to rookies at this stage of the offseason program. Granted, as the first receiver Belichick has ever drafted in the opening round, Harry isn’t just any rookie, but it’s still noteworthy. And second, Harry saw a ton of Gilmore. The coaches are making it hard on Harry on purpose, and that’s a good sign. Remember, the coaches were really hard on running back Sony Michel this time last year.

To run through Brady’s other three incompletions, Ben Watson had a bad, uncontested drop on the first pass of the day, tipping it up into the air and nearly causing an interception. Brady also misfired behind Phillip Dorsett, and he was wide of Burkhead near the left sideline.

Brady did some work on the side with Harry, White and Watson with Josh McDaniels running the show. It was an interesting session that took place during a punting period. McDaniels described the defensive look, and the receiver had to run the appropriate route. It’s a good way to help Brady and the pass catcher see things through the same set of eyes.

Joe Thuney again started at left tackle with Wynn still rehabbing. Ted Karras started at left guard in Thuney’s place, which is a change from May 23 when Brian Schwenke manned left guard.

Braxton Berrios made the catch of the day when he dove past Joejuan Williams for a deep ball from Brian Hoyer. Still need to see Berrios perform with Brady, though. They never got off the ground last year due to Berrios’ injuries, and Brady never targeted Berrios on Tuesday because Berrios had few reps with Brady during team drills.

It appears the tight end depth chart is as follows: Watson, Matt LaCosse, Anderson, Ryan Izzo, Andrew Beck and Jakob Johnson.

With Hoyer as the backup quarterback, Jarrett Stidham took all of the third-team reps over Danny Etling, who didn’t get a chance to take control of the offense during team drills. Etling’s busiest period occurred as a personal protector on the punt team.

Hoyer was 8-of-13 with an interception in competitive team drills.

Stidham was 9-of-13 and he opened the day with six consecutive completions before a White drop derailed the perfect streak. Stidham added a period of opportunity time with the rookies at the end of practice while the veterans stretched following the hill runs.

David Andrews and Stidham ran a lap after the center sailed a snap.

Defense & ST

Defense

Bill Belichick and Jerod Mayo split the play-calling duties, which was the most surprising development of the day. Read more on that here in this story.

Van Noy made his late-practice cameo count. He batted a Hoyer pass at the line that was intercepted by Ja’Whaun Bentley.

John Simon and Shilique Calhoun each recorded a sack. Like any other practice, there probably could have been more if the defense didn’t shy away while encroaching the QBs.

Aside from the Van Noy-Bentley breakup-interception, Duke Dawson, J.C. Jackson and Keion Crossen had pass breakups.

Jamie Collins has continued to get a lot of quality reps with the starters. At this point, there seems to be little doubt he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Bentley was taking reps over Elandon Roberts.

Michael Bennett didn’t get a ton of work during team drills. We’ll see whether that increases as the week progresses.

Special teams

Punt returners were Edelman, Berrios, Dorsett, Harris and Gunner Olszewski.

Matthew Slater is always on his own practice routine at this stage in his career. He focuses almost exclusively on coverage techniques during non-special teams periods.

• Like 1

Eo ga spremaju tako što ima dosta repsa vs jednog od najboljih cornera u ligi. Nije neko ko će oduševiti brzinom al je jak, visok i može ove teške lopte da uhvati. Može biti solidna opcija no sve zavisi koliko će mu Brady vjerovati do početka sezone.

NE i nije posebno fantasy friendly bez par igrača, al neki RB jeftini vazda iskoči kao dobra opcija kasno. Ovaj ruki Harris djeluje kao neko takav.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:47 AM, Yi Sun Shin said:

Hm....

Ereck Flowers je i dalje FA, ako žele da zamene Trenta.

Not true. Upravo Ereck Flowers radi kao startni left tackle u minicampu, zbog odsustva Williamsa.

Nije sad da su Skinsi neka sila pa se jih plaše rivali unutar divizije. Ali verovatno bi se svejedno radovali njegovom odlasku. Po mom mišljenju ubedljivo najbolji igrač u tom roster

Ma nešto mi ostalo u malom mozgu da je u nekoj vezi sa Skinsima, dal im je išao na razgovore ili tako nešto. Potpuno sam smetnuo sa uma da je već kod njih. Elem...ono što je bitno je da će on biti startni LT ukoliko TW odluči da bude principijelan

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Yi Sun Shin said:

Ma nešto mi ostalo u malom mozgu da je u nekoj vezi sa Skinsima, dal im je išao na razgovore ili tako nešto. Potpuno sam smetnuo sa uma da je već kod njih. Elem...ono što je bitno je da će on biti startni LT ukoliko TW odluči da bude principijelan

I to su mu dali oko 3 miliona dolara, ja i dalje ne mogu da verujem da se to desilo, da sam navijač Washingtona ne bih mogao da spavam, budile bi me noćne more koje bi samo bile vest u novinama REDSKINS GIVE FLOWERS 3 MILLION $ TO BE STARTING LEFT TACKLE.

Proverio sam, 3.25M.

A ko bude trejdovao za Williamsa dobiće top 5 LT u ligi za OK cifru, ostalo mu 2 godine ugovora 11.1 i 12.7 miliona. Neki pik 3. runde će biti dovoljan, za drugu ga dobijaš garant.

Valjao bi Denveru, Arizoni, Karolini, najviše Hjjustonu, Jetsima, a bogami ne bi me čudilo ni da Klivlend odradi još jedan Win-now potez, kao ni da se Patriote uključe.

7 hours ago, Ikac said:

I to su mu dali oko 3 miliona dolara, ja i dalje ne mogu da verujem da se to desilo, da sam navijač Washingtona ne bih mogao da spavam, budile bi me noćne more koje bi samo bile vest u novinama REDSKINS GIVE FLOWERS 3 MILLION $ TO BE STARTING LEFT TACKLE.

Proverio sam, 3.25M.

A ko bude trejdovao za Williamsa dobiće top 5 LT u ligi za OK cifru, ostalo mu 2 godine ugovora 11.1 i 12.7 miliona. Neki pik 3. runde će biti dovoljan, za drugu ga dobijaš garant.

Valjao bi Denveru, Arizoni, Karolini, najviše Hjjustonu, Jetsima, a bogami ne bi me čudilo ni da Klivlend odradi još jedan Win-now potez, kao ni da se Patriote uključe.

s obzirom da se premium tacklove može nabrojati na prste, ja bi bez puno razmišljanja dao 2. rundu za njega.Još posebno da sam GM u Houstonu recimo, gde je ta pozicija glavni problem koji koči ekipu. Seattle je lani sa dovođenjem Duane Browna poboljšao igru te grupe za 300%. Ok ajde, noga u bulju Tomu Cablu je isto pomogla

Zavisi šta ti je cilj. Ako misliš da imaš ekipu kojoj treba upgrade u OL da bi bila contender onda se slažem. Ako si neki krš kome treba dve ili tri sezone da se pokrpi da bi razmišljala o bilo čemu, onda ne mislim da je ulaganje u 30+ igrače ( ma koliko oni kvalitetni bili ) ispravan potez. Za Texanse se slažem da bi trebali bar nazvati Snyder-a da vide koliko je sati.

7 hours ago, L' Imperatore said:

s obzirom da se premium tacklove može nabrojati na prste, ja bi bez puno razmišljanja dao 2. rundu za njega.Još posebno da sam GM u Houstonu recimo, gde je ta pozicija glavni problem koji koči ekipu. Seattle je lani sa dovođenjem Duane Browna poboljšao igru te grupe za 300%. Ok ajde, noga u bulju Tomu Cablu je isto pomogla

4 hours ago, Yi Sun Shin said:

Zavisi šta ti je cilj. Ako misliš da imaš ekipu kojoj treba upgrade u OL da bi bila contender onda se slažem. Ako si neki krš kome treba dve ili tri sezone da se pokrpi da bi razmišljala o bilo čemu, onda ne mislim da je ulaganje u 30+ igrače ( ma koliko oni kvalitetni bili ) ispravan potez. Za Texanse se slažem da bi trebali bar nazvati Snyder-a da vide koliko je sati.

U principu mislim da sam pobrojao sve ekipe koje jesu u poziciji da pobeđuju ili misle da jesu, a nemaju sređenu poziciju levog tekla. 

Naravno, najviše bi odgovatao Hjustonu koji je imao najgore teklove u ligi prošle sezone, kao i Arizona. Mislim da Cardinalsi misle da mogu odmah da pobeđuju, a LT nema na vidiku, Humphreis je bust, a deluje i da je Bolles iz Denvera, a Elway je dovođenjem Flacca i produžavanjem Harrisa pokazao da nema nameru da pravi rebuild. 

Karolina ima Motona, to je slabo, treba zaštititi Newtona. Jetsi su u fazonu da grade oko Darnolda dok je na rookie ugovoru, a upravo su za GMa doveli Douglasa iz Filadelfije koji sigurno zna koliko Williams može, a front office Eaglesa ima agresivan pristup, verujem da će i Douglas imati. 

Ostaje Klivlend koji ima Grega Robinsona, bivšeg busta koji se malo rehabilitovao, ali nije ni prineti Williamsu, kao i Patriote, čiji teklovi izuzev Cannona nemaju nijedan start u ligi. 

I da, za razliku od Jetsa, Hjuston je pre 2 dana otpustio GMa, loš tajming. 

Edited by Ikac

On 6/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, Yi Sun Shin said:

Prisutni kažu da je Jones potpuno nadvisio Iliju u obaveznom trodnevnom mini kampu prošle sedmice. Ne mora ništa da govori o Jones-u i može mnogo toga da kaže o Iliji...ali svejedno zvuči ohrabrujuće.

Pa ok, ali ne bi me previše ohrabrilo što je bolji od lika koji već 2 godine treba da bude backup ili u penziji. 

Rudolph produžio sa Minnesotom. Pokušavao sam da kažem vama Patriotama da nema ništa od tradea 😁

• Xpert locked this topic