NBA Draft potencijali, školski superstarovi, bastovi, spavači i ostali..

Bobby Shurda

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Niko da komentariše Pokuševskog i njegovu odluku da izađe na draft.

Pa ajde, ja ću prvi. Ne vidim ga u lutriji a obeštećenje je veliko - tako da ga vidim u Evropo u sledećih par godina. Mada postoji šansa, Ameri obično padaju na measurements i potencijal.

Uzasno neinspirativna klasa, ne pamtim da je ovako bilo. Plus NCAA sezona nije zavrsena i ostali smo uskraceni za solidnu porciju uzorka, a i citava prica sa koronom komplikuje i draft i sve pratece aktivnosti i datume... Videcu da se iscimam, mada mi bas fali motivacije za seciranje pri svim tim okolnostima.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 6:33 PM, SteveFrancis#3 said:

Uzasno neinspirativna klasa, ne pamtim da je ovako bilo. Plus NCAA sezona nije zavrsena i ostali smo uskraceni za solidnu porciju uzorka, a i citava prica sa koronom komplikuje i draft i sve pratece aktivnosti i datume... Videcu da se iscimam, mada mi bas fali motivacije za seciranje pri svim tim okolnostima.

po onome što čitam i slušam, skoro je sigurno da nema nekih dončića, zajona i ostalih u tom rangu. ali da je zapravo vrlo moguće iskopati nekoga vrlo vrednog i sa 10e pozicije ako znaš gde da kopaš. slažem se da lutrija postaje još veća lutrija jer nema ni ono malo uzoraka sa tekmi da se zaključi nešto.

6 hours ago, AgroLaki said:

Znači Niksi dobivaju prvog pika. 😄

da, to sam i ja rekao, već vidim prvi pick kada nikome ne treba.

možda bi to bio trenutak da se uradi ono što obično ne bih -> neki trade-down, pod uslovom da vide nekoga niže ko im treba

ali ne sumnjam da bi ovaj novi šef lav ruža uzeo u tom slučaju lamelu loptu pa bi ako ništa drugo, imali 1) najgori šuterski frontcourt svih vremena, gde je ntilikina ubedljivo najbolji 2) najkreativniji klinački backcourt gde tri igrača mogu da organizuju napad 3) totalno positionless backcourt gde i u napadu i u odbrani sva tri igrača mogu od PG do SF gde je najzgodnije

12 minutes ago, AgroLaki said:

Osim ako ne bi iskopali novog Kavaja, fenevi bi ih zapalili da urade tač daun. 😄

ne bi ih zapalili zato što nije draft sa očiglednim likom za odabrati. casual fanovima treba taj neki gdin očigledni

ovi moji na P&T su se ložili na killian hayesa dok ga ringer nije metnuo na prvo mesto big boarda

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

sad se većinski lože na tyrese haliburtona. nisam ništa gledao pa ni ovaj video. takođe se na nižim pozicijama jako lože na pokuševskog, iako im je jasno da bi on bio još jedan dugoročni projekat i da mu treba stamine i mase pažljivo nabačene. edit: ali su u fazonu, momak zna basketa u napadu daleko više nego porkdingus pre ulaska u ligu

Edited by uini
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

jel ima i jedno dete koje igra basket ovih dana a da ima makar tendenciju normalnijeg suta. sve neke frljoke od izbacaja

edit kad sam vec ovde

The Hater’s Guide to the 2020 Lottery

Dont @ me, fam

By Prezs2ReprsntMe  Jul 2, 2020, 8:39am PDT

player_hater_ball_686.0.jpg

Good day, quarantiners. It’s your boy Prez aka young Orlando Bubble aka Gonna Pop For Sure. Hope you got your masks on, because this draft is CONFUSING. Don’t listen to propaganda about why this draft might not suck. It probably will, except for the players who probably won’t suck. Trust me!

I’m here to give you the short, oversimplified version of why your favorite lotto pick might be trash, and specifically, why they play like an asshole. On the guys you hate? MY FAVORITES. Come with me on this journey. Let the hate flow through you. Clips and stats, cherry-picked without context, LOCKED AND LOADED! By the end, my goal is for none of you to have any idea what I actually think about any of these teenagers, and for all of you to hate me very much. Without further adieu:

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/7/2/21307676/the-haters-guide-to-the-2020-lottery

Edited by uini
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NBA draft lottery luck since the dawn of the modern lottery (1990)

Number of spots risen or fallen in the lottery:

Hornets/Pelicans +25
Clippers +12
Sixers +10
Sonics/Thunder +9
Lakers +9
Nets +8
Rockets +4
Blazers +4
Magic +4
Grizzlies +3
Spurs +2
Bulls =
Bucks =
Raptors -2
Jazz -2
Warriors -2
Wizards -2
Kings -3
Hawks -3
Pistons -5
Bobcats/Hornets -6
Knicks -6
Heat -7
Suns -7
Mavericks -8
Nuggets -10
Timberwolves -16

Cavs +2
Celtics -5
Pacers =

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nylon Calculus: Conjunction and disjunction bias in the NBA draft

by Joseph Nation2 weeks ago

1208940930-850x560.jpeg

One of the keys to improving decision-making in front offices is understanding the biases that impact how we perceive value. Here, we break down a major pair of biases and how they could impact the way teams scout the NBA Draft.

Projecting the NBA Draft is, at its core, a probability exercise. Players have variable outcomes with a band of possibilities, and their landing spot along that band of possibilities is impacted by an innumerably large number of factors, both controllable and uncontrollable. As a result, in order to improve the draft process, we have to have a fundamental understanding of probability, and more importantly, how humans evaluate probability. Spoiler: we suck at it.

There’s a series of known fundamental biases in handling probability in behavioral economics. Some, like the endowment effect, are already known in basketball: Teams tend to value their own assets more highly than assets that aren’t their own. In fact, we know that the trade that sent Kyle Lowry to Toronto was explicitly made because the Rockets were aware of the endowment effect, per Michael Lewis’s famous feature on Daryl Morey.

But a pair of those biases that are less often mentioned, despite possibly being the most relevant to the scouting process, is conjunction and disjunction bias. Put simply, humans tend to overestimate the probability of a set of events all happening, and we tend to underestimate the probability of any one of a set of events happening.

How do conjunction and disjunction bias apply to the NBA Draft?

For example, say you have a prospect that needs all of traits A, B, and C to develop in order to succeed, and those traits develop independently, with probabilities a, b, and c. If that’s the case, then that prospect will succeed a*b*c percent of the time. If a, b, and c are all 50 percent, then that prospect succeeds a paltry 12.5 percent of the time, even though none of the individual traits are exceedingly likely to fail on their own.

Or say you have a prospect that will succeed if any of traits D, E, and F develop, and all of those traits develop independently with probabilities d, e, and f. If that’s the case, then that prospect will succeed a + b + c – ab – ac – bc + abc = 87.5 percent of the time.

Now, that model is a drastic oversimplification for illustration’s sake. Development is not necessarily independent, and the probabilities are not usually 50/50. But the general principle will absolutely hold across any set of assumptions: When multiple things need to go right, the probabilities get really low really fast. When you only need one thing to go right, it’s likely that something will.

And fortunately for this writing, this class has a pair of players at its top that slides neatly into this kind of thinking in LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards.

LaMelo Ball needs a bunch of things to go right. He needs to learn how to finish through contact. He needs for his jump shot to be usable. He needs to be an average off-ball defender so that he can be hidden. He needs to improve his burst. And if any of those traits is missing, he’s probably not a good player, and it’s highly likely that some of those traits will be missing given that he ranges from bad to exceptionally bad at all of them currently.

Anthony Edwards, by comparison, only needs one of a few things to go right. This idea has been discussed in places like the Prep2Pro podcast, but essentially, if Edwards is a high-level pull-up shooter, he will be a successful NBA player. If Edwards learns to consistently use his excellent first step, he will be a successful NBA player. If Edwards learns how to consistently make the right decision within the offense, he will be a successful NBA player. He only needs one to be successful, and even though the probabilities of each of those aren’t exceptionally high when taken in disjunction, his success becomes likely.

If, then, those two are viewed without adjustment for bias as having approximately equal odds of success, it makes sense to view Ball more weakly and Edwards more strongly. If conjunction bias tells us that we’re likely to overestimate the probability of multiple things all being true, then LaMelo’s odds of success are likely overestimated. If disjunction bias tells us that we’re likely to underestimate the probability of any one thing out of multiple being true, then Anthony Edwards’ odds of success are likely underestimated.

But it doesn’t have to be those two guys or even at the top of the draft. Think about a guy like Georgios Kalaitzakis, who has the potential to be a 6-foot-7 point guard that’s a capable handler, passer, shooter, and defender. What he could be is incredibly valuable. Except there’s the problem that he has to do every single one of those in order to be successful, and the odds that he does all of them, when none of those traits are guaranteed given his inconsistency, are lower than we would naturally tend to think.

Or think about a guy like Vernon Carey. For Carey to be a relatively successful NBA player, he only needs one path out of multiple to hit. If he gets the drop coverage defense to a passable level, he’s probably an NBA player. If he expands the 3-point volume to be a credible threat, he’s probably an NBA player. If he’s enough of a passer that he can be a credible change-of-pace plodding big, that’s valuable to at least some teams. And with that many paths to success, the odds are probably more favorable that one of them will happen than we tend to instinctively think.

Now, this kind of analysis isn’t absolutely rigorous or perfectly informative. A guy like Kalaitzakis might have a 10 percent chance of being that truly valuable player, but the version of a valuable player he can be is just worth so much more than the player that Vernon Carey becomes 90 percent of the time, that it’s worth selecting Kalaitzakis earlier anyway. This effect could be mitigated by only applying the reasoning to prospects viewed similarly or not applying it in comparison based reasoning.

Further, not every player is even clear how they should be classified. Take Patrick Williams for example. He might need to become all three of a great team defender, a good off the dribble playmaker, and an above-average shooter in order to succeed. But maybe he only really needs one of those and any one will do. So is his probability of success being biased upwards or downwards?

But what this can do is inform how we advocate for players. It’s important to understand that multiple paths to success is valuable. It’s also important to understand that making large leaps in anticipating improvement or success against uncertainty across multiple areas is not necessarily strategically correct. So while it can’t be taken as an absolute, since the player with more paths to success isn’t automatically more valuable, it must form a piece of the analysis for any prospect because otherwise, the analysis comes out with error.

https://fansided.com/2020/07/10/nba-draft-conjunction-disjunction-bias/

• 2 weeks later...

New York Knicks: A Scout and a Non-Believer Talk LaMelo Ball

Is LaMelo Ball really worth all of the hype as a potential lottery pick to the New York Knicks?

Before we get into the nitty-gritty details of breaking down NBA lottery prospect LaMelo Ball’s game and potential fit with the New York Knicks, a quick story.

It was June 2009. I had a credential, but I was more fan than professional, ecstatic to have the opportunity to meet basketball’s next superstars: Blake Griffin. James Harden. Steph Curry. You also had soon-to-be ROY Tyreke Evans, trailblazer Brandon Jennings (first American to go “international one-and-done”), former Player of the Year and reigning National Champion Tyler Hansbrough, future All-Star Demar Derozan, and several other high-profile players from major NCAA programs.

There was a lot of star power, but the most popular table – more so than those of future Hall-of-Famers – belonged to Ricky Rubio. Journalists from all over the world swarmed him throughout the session. Flashes every time he smiled. Exaggerated laughter every time he said something even remotely funny. The attention was no surprise. The previous summer, he’d started – as a 17-year-old – against the Redeem Team in the Gold Medal game. He was 2009’s Luka, the prodigy (pro at 15, success in the 2nd-best league on the planet) that was going to take the NBA by storm.

If you read a pre-draft scouting report for Rubio, you’ll find scouts raving about things like vision, size for the position, IQ, feel…you see where I’m going with this.

Back to LaMelo Ball. Honestly, I’m not a LaMelo guy. Much of #KnicksTwitter has fallen in love with him, and many scouts share their belief in his star potential. But no matter how hard I try, I can’t see it. I’ve watched as much tape as I can get my hands on, including every second of his best pro game, and read countless articles and scouting reports – most of them glowing – and still, all I see is a 6’7 Rubio (minus the defense). Then I go on Twitter, find yet another image of Mitch and RJ with LaMelo photoshopped in between and…ugh.

I want to feel better about this. I want to be convinced that the hype is warranted. I want to know that if he does end up as a Knick, and he has what it takes to thrive there. Simply put, I want to believe. But I can’t get there alone. Enter Spencer Pearlman – wonderful scout, contributor at The Stepien, and former Draft Consultant for the Phoenix Suns.

Let’s find out why many scouts are so high on LaMelo Ball.

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/08/10/new-york-knicks-lamelo-ball-scout-non-believer/2/

na kraju svake strane je novo poglavlje za kliknuti

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 2020 NBA Draft is being pushed back to November

So, will training camp start in 2021?

By Jonathan Schulman@aighttho  Sep 9, 2020, 11:57am PDT

97297648.jpg.0.jpg

I know we’re largely sitting around having a hard time making plans for the future. Some of us don’t even know if there’s a future worth living in if there’s a future. That’s all well and good, obviously, I’m not the one to tell you how to live your life. Even though you can call me Pablo Prigioni because I have the secrets.

This world’s long walk may indeed be starting here and now on the last few planks of a short pier. Who knows? All we got is the peaty, cooling rubber air of dried whiskey burning the back of our tracheas and the pissed knickers we’ll walk home in. Friends, at least we can walk it together. Dead moony eyes, Knicks fans that just want to know the sobriety of an itch that can be scratched, the satiable ballast of fulfillment. We must know it!

We are simple souls, who have been taken advantage of on this rickety carnival ride. It costs to get on and will damn sure cost you if you’re trying to get off. This fun house mirror is a maze for your mind to race as your heart pumps fear into the never ending reflection of your fandom. Well the final chapter may be in sight, or there may be a tunnel at the end of the light. Doom is your only salvation and that’s why we have the NBA Draft.

November!? That’s not so far away, everyone. Not the way time operates nowadays. I believe November hits right after the world ends and we have civil unrest, disease, fire, earthquakes, blizzardsXheatwaves just did a collab. So, we’ll see what that all looks like on the other side soon enough. Being that this draft is comprised of turkeys and pumpkins anyway, it makes sense to push it back to Thanks Grieving. Bless us all, I hope we’re alive by then and feeling fantastic. Can’t wait to miss on the best player in this draft by one spot. It will be a further blessing to be ridiculed by NBA fans and media alike. We really are the master of our reality.

The stupid Knicks revolving front office was not bold enough to trade their only viable player-assets to move up and snag the great whoever. Similarly the only team that missed out on so and so at pick 52 was the Knicks. And the prophecy will be self fulfilled. Fare the well.

UPDATE:

November 18! This sucks.

• Like 1